A sad Aloha to The General Les Keiter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A sad Aloha to The General Les Keiter

oh no, first sevey and marshall and corky and now les ... didnt get the chance to work with him but had the pleasure of interviewing him once, called me "keed'' the whole time.

Aloha Les

Comment

There was an interesting talk about Les Keiter and Harry Kalas on Leahy and Leahy on tonight's show.

Comment

Originally posted by oldiebuff View Post
        I wonder will KHON interview previous co-workers like Barb Tanabe, Jim McCoy, and of course BJ Sams?

And AJ, thank you for that awesome package you put together for the SB!
        Yesterday I informed BJ Sams of Les passing away, he offered his condolences to Lila over the phone.

Barbara and Jim work together in town and I'm sure all know the sad news of The General's passing.

It was an honor to know the General, I sat right next to him many times at the Quarterback Club. It won't be the same without him around, there is no one that could ever fill his shoes, but Les would want the Club to keep going strong and continue on for generations to come.

Aj

Comment

Was listening to ESPN Radio this morning. After being asked about his thoughts re John Madden's retirement, Al Michaels spoke warmly about his recollections re Les Keiter and sports broadcasters in Hawaii.

Here's sumpin I did not know (or forgotten) because I was mostly away from Hawaii at that time: Michaels said that Hank Greenwald announced Hawaii Islander games between Harry Kalas and himself.

We (you?) in Hawaii are so fortunate to have so many memorable (for the right reasons) sports broadcasters.
          Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
            We (you?) in Hawaii are so fortunate to have so many memorable (for the right reasons) sports broadcasters.
            The list of play by play broadcasters here who hit the major league includes Mel Proctor, Ken Wilson, and Matt Pinto. Even though Larry Beil and Neil Everett are sports anchors, they started doing play by play in Hawaii. There's one guy who I can't remember his name. His looks and voice is similiar to Bobby Curran. He does or did the English version of the Sumo tournament from Japan. I don't think NGN carries the Sumo tournament after Akebono retired.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
              The list of play by play broadcasters here who hit the major league includes Mel Proctor, Ken Wilson, and Matt Pinto. Even though Larry Beil and Neil Everett are sports anchors, they started doing play by play in Hawaii.
              We talked about this before.

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpos...0&postcount=16

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
              There's one guy who I can't remember his name. His looks and voice is similiar to Bobby Curran. He does or did the English version of the Sumo tournament from Japan.
              Dave Wiggins.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

The SB's Dave Reardon reports that a statue of Les Keiter could be in store for Aloha Stadium. IMHO, it is a great idea!

http://www.starbulletin.com/sports/2...t_in_time.html
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                  The SB's Dave Reardon reports that a statue of Les Keiter could be in store for Aloha Stadium. IMHO, it is a great idea!

http://www.starbulletin.com/sports/2...t_in_time.html
                  Jim Leahy told a funny story about who gets a press parking pass at Aloha Stadium from Les Keiter on Leahy & Leahy.

Comment

AJ,

Great piece of work they put together the other night for the General. I noticed Sheryl Turbeville is still with KHON2, is she behind the scenes now?

http://www.khon2.com/news/local/stor...-8tPx1J0A.cspx

Comment

Originally posted by oldiebuff View Post
                      AJ,

Great piece of work they put together the other night for the General. I noticed Sheryl Turbeville is still with KHON2, is she behind the scenes now?

http://www.khon2.com/news/local/stor...-8tPx1J0A.cspx
                      Great special done rather quickly, but done quite well. Kudos to the station for giving the General his proper due respect. Did KGMB do a special for Sevey? As for your question, she's the Assignment Editor as I recall.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                        Great special done rather quickly, but done quite well. Kudos to the station for giving the General his proper due respect. Did KGMB do a special for Sevey? As for your question, she's the Assignment Editor as I recall.

Aj
                        Not to my knowledge AJ, I think they did something on their website, interviews but no specials as far as I know. Oh wait, if you count Leslie Wilcox's interview with Sevey on PBS being re-aired in its entirety on KGMB. Pretty disappointing, either that or it was the family's wishes?

Comment

I think part of that has to do with the fact that CV was 22 years ago, and there are only two people still in the KGMB newsroom who actually worked with him. Whereas the general was a lot more recent than that, and plenny Channel 2 people knew him/worked with him directly.

KGMB's newscasts that day (and next) were pretty heavy on CV material.

Comment

A possible Keiter Islanders broadcast:

JOHN SIPIN is perched at first base after drawing a base-on-balls. Coming up to the plate is RICH BARRY, after SWINGING HIS BIG SHILLEIGHLY whiile in the on-deck circle. As Barry settles in the batter's box, THE FANS CONTINUE TO STREAM UP THE AISLES.

Here comes the first pitch .... low and away for ball one. Tne next pitch .... a swing and a foul ball, UP THE ELEVATOR SHAFT and on to the grandstand roof. The count is now level at one-and-one. High and tight .... it's ball two. Barry swings and it's a hot grounder down the line, just foul .... two-and-two. The next pitch .... just missed the corner and it's a full count. Good eye by Rich. What will the pitcher come up with? GUESS NOW, DON'T GUESS AGAIN.

There's a deep drive by Barry to right center, launched like a RING-TAILED HOWITZER, BACK, BACK, BACK ...... it's over his head .... BOOM, OFF THE WALL! Sipin is rounding third, he will score. Barry is rounding second, he's going to try for three. Here comes the throw, here comes Barry. HE BEAT THE BALL, HE BEAT THE BALL, HE BEAT THE BALL!.

Now, I don't know if this really happened, but it could have!

Comment

Or on the home backyard basketball court.
                              Before there was trash talkin', you did play by play with your classmates.
                              You got the beat on the bucket as the ball tickle the twine.

Comment

Working...
                              X