X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duane Shimogawa on KHNL... "elementary"... pronunciation

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
    [...]
    kaonohi's lack of "r" story reminds me of my college boyfriend, who was a military brat. i remember laughing uncontrollably the first time he said "we need to "warsh" the car." his parents (originally south carolinians) pronounced it that way, too, except his mom's southern accent was much more obvious. i just googled "warsh the car" and found this rather interesting.
    My former m-i-l, rest her soul, was born and raised in California, well bred, well educated, articulate, smart, you name it. "Warsh", "gararge" and "round ground" always caught me off guard even tho' I found each endearing!!!

Comment

Originally posted by OffTheRock View Post
      the word is pronounced elemen - ta -ry
      Perhaps we should check out some old Sherlock Holmes movies and see:
      Does the master detective say, "L-M-N-tree, or L-M-N-ta-ree, or L-M-N-ter-E?"
      Maybe it depends on the actor....
      Last edited by Kaonohi; May 31, 2009, 06:23 PM. Reason: Reasons? We don't need no stinkin' reasons!
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        My former m-i-l, rest her soul, was born and raised in California, well bred, well educated, articulate, smart, you name it. "Warsh", "gararge" and "round ground" always caught me off guard even tho' I found each endearing!!!
        "round ground"...wat dat??!!!

the link i posted re warsh led me to the "are you a yankee or a rebel" quiz. they don't account for locals, of course. as i expected, i am more yankee than rebel.

does anyone else besides me wish that we locals had a more specific, colorful way of describing ourselves, kinda along the likes of "yankee?" "local" doesn't point much of a direction anywhere, esp when you're trying to explain to someone that while you're from hawaii, you're not hawaiian. *sigh*
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

"round ground"...wat dat??!!! [...]
          Ground round! It's called ground beef now!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Ground round! It's called ground beef now!
            aha! thought she meant ground round (i call it ground beef, but i know what ground round is). but i wasn't sure...maybe she meants something about asphalt, i thot to myself...
            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

...notice how a number of people from different regions (not just hawaii) pronounce "street" and "strawberry" as if there were an "h" in between the "s" and "t"?
              The AFK was never conscious of this until I pointed it out to her early in our relationship. Doesn't change how she says these words (nor would I wish it to).

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                The general rule is that you say "an" when the following word has a vowel sound, hence "an arr-pee-gee book." So, do I play a you-koo-ley-ley or an oo-koo-leh-leh?

Media are - because "media" is plural of "medium." But you knew that. What we still don't know is why they are lurking outside your door, Anapuni808!
                Yeah, I go by vowel sound or pronunciation of the first initial. But I always second-guess (or over-analyze).
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

well, grammar has never been my strongest suit. I figure as long as I'm making myself understood, then I'm doing OK. Of course that doesn't mean I don't make an attempt to say things properly - its just that sometimes this old brain kind of trips me up
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Yah...what Anapuni wrote...same for me!

Comment

Re: Other "local-style" pronunciations

other local-style pronunciations are "liebarry" (library) and "tursty" or "tursday" (thirsty, thursday).
                      And don't forget the local tendency to say "chree" or "tree" (when referring to the number "three").
                      To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Originally posted by musubi View Post
                        And don't forget the local tendency to say "chree" or "tree" (when referring to the number "three").
                        And also "ray-dyo" for "radio"; and "barry" for "berry" ("What, you get some straw-barries"?)

And it probably varies from location to location, and by generation to generation. But I understand the original post, which is that Duane Shimogawa is a profesional and should pronounce words as generally accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                          ("What, you get some straw-barries"?)
                          That would be "sHtraw-barries."

Comment

What, you think we no know schtrawbury when we seeim?
                            ~ ~

Comment

This brings up long buried pronunciation issues.

When I came home in 1980, after 12 years absence during some 'formative years,' I realized some words I took for granted were just da kine, with different meanings.

Oh, right, like I can remember now? Gotta borrow one young brain for that!

Wachoo member from hanabuta days what when someone say something, it mean someting else?

~ ~

Comment

I must say, that my brother who has been living in Vegas for about 8 years, and who hasn't returned to Hawaii once since moving up there, still speaks bad english and pidgin in front of all his mainland friends and co-workers. And doesn't feel comfortable at all speaking proper english. I don't think he can. Heh.

I myself don't feel comfortable speaking pidgin, unless it's with locals who can understand me. I usually speak proper english with anyone I meet, unless they show some sign of understanding/talking pidgin.

With regards to pronunciation of words by news anchors. I like how the word Honolulu is said correctly by Stephanie Lum. Ho-No-lulu. But not bothered too much when I hear it Ha-Na-lulu.

It's been said wrong for so long... everyone says it wrong. Just like the "W" in Hawaiian words. I hear some people say Vai-kiki every now and then.

Again, I don't mind elemen-chree, elemen-tree, element-ta-ree, or even wrongly element-a-ree. But he says elemen ah ree. missing the T sound. That's the only thing that bothers me.

-- Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X