KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "shared services agreement"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "shared services agreement"

One of the ways KITV has responded is to expand their 10:00pm news show to an hour. I've watched a couple of nights now, and it seems to me they need to rethink.

From what I can tell they've basically concluded they should do their usual 1/2 hour newscast till 10:30 and then do the same show again from 10:30 - 11:00. I've seen very little expanded coverage in that second half hour.

Has anyone else watched? Am I wrong? Did I just catch them on two bad nights?
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Hey Linkmaster,

I hope we're not leaving that impression. We have added a producer, and AP and another nightside reporter and our content is new or advanced in the 10:30-11pm portion.
      We do refer to our top story in both half hours but add new information in the second half hour and add a new second and third lead story.
      We do a short sports hit in the first half hour and do extended sports in the second.
      We do weather hits in each half hour but attempt to make each a little different.
      We are doing all we can to make the entire hour add up to greater depth and more content and if you are not coming away with that impresion we are not doing our job.
      Mike

Comment

Hey Mike

If the idea is to get people to watch the full hour, then the way it's being done probably won't work. The impression IS that you're re-doing the first half-hour in the second half-hour. I've heard this from several people.

What is the incentive to stick around for the second half hour if it's (mostly) the same stories - when viewers have likely for the most part gotten enough in the first run-through?

If they like Paula (which I do), there doesn't appear to be much to keep them from switching to Letterman after the first half hour.

And with Nightline following the hour, that's a pretty heavy 90 or so minutes when other stations have moved on to fluff that maybe is more palatable (sp?) to a stressed-out, overtired viewership that has to get up early to beat the traffic to make a buck the next morning.

Just a thought after the first four days of the "new" show.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
          FCC rejects Congressman's letter on KGMB KHNL KFVE merger http://bit.ly/4ehzYR

Just more proof that it's a done deal.

Comment

Originally posted by mike View Post
            Hey Linkmaster,

I hope we're not leaving that impression. We have added a producer, and AP and another nightside reporter and our content is new or advanced in the 10:30-11pm portion.
            We do refer to our top story in both half hours but add new information in the second half hour and add a new second and third lead story.
            We do a short sports hit in the first half hour and do extended sports in the second.
            We do weather hits in each half hour but attempt to make each a little different.
            We are doing all we can to make the entire hour add up to greater depth and more content and if you are not coming away with that impresion we are not doing our job.
            Mike
            Mike,
            I'll give it some more time, then. I don't expect a KITV version of PBS's The News Hour, but I hope for different material than I've seen so far.

I imagine it's hard to switch the mindset, too. "Wow, I've got nearly a full hour? I don't have to squeeze everything into 23 minutes?"
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Can we move all future discussion about KITV 4's expanded 10pm newscast to this thread?

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=17698

This thread is primarily for the ongoing KGMB-KHNL-KFVE shared services issue.

Mahalo!
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
                Just more proof that it's a done deal.
                It's a done deal when the FCC makes their decision and nobody is above the FCC.

Aj

Comment

Wayne Harada chimes in on his blog:

http://showandtellhawaii.honadvblogs...-about-hawaii/

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                    It's a done deal when the FCC makes their decision and nobody is above the FCC.

Aj

without going into a long debate...just mark this post and keep it for future reference when the dust finally settles on this.

"Done deal."

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                      Wayne Harada chimes in on his blog:

http://showandtellhawaii.honadvblogs...-about-hawaii/
                      "None of KGMB’s prime anchors were chopped, though there’s buzz that one will exit, by choice, by year’s end."

Ah yeah, Stacy Loe announced this last week. Where has Wayne been?

Comment

Media Council is claiming small victory over Raycom

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...ml?mobile=true
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

With Diane Ako and Stacey Loe gone, I may as well go back to KHON and watch Joe Moore. At least I won't have to change the channel again when Wheel of Fortune comes next. Darn Raycom really destroyed one of the good thing about Hawaii.

I still like Guy Hagi though. He's old school!
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I am watching KITV 4 News more than this news now. Hawaii News Now seem too much like the old Hawaii News 8 it replaced except with a different set. Plus I hate it when the new anchors gush about Obama... "oooh there's a lifesize Obama cut out at Las Vegas"... "oooh he's coming to Hawaii. I wonder where he is going to buy his plate lunch from?"

Yuck.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Oceanic vs. Raycom?

http://bizbites.honadvblogs.com/2009...nic-vs-raycom/

Comment

Thought this was kiind of interesting....

Here is *sort* of a shared services agreement between a tv news station and the local newspaper in Hartford, interesting in this day and age! As some may remember the Star Bulletin once owned KGMB and even had for a time editor William Ewing as one of it's news anchors.

This Saturday will make the debut of Hartford, Conn., Fox affiliate WTIC-TV's new HD studio, which shares quarters with the longtime newsroom of The Hartford Courant. The shared space is just one aspect of a partnership between the state's largest newspaper and one of the state's four local broadcast TV news shops that entails print and TV reporters collaborating on stories, and top executives having joint purview over print, TV and online areas to foster a multiplatform perspective. The Hartford Courant (Conn.) (12/6)

Comment

Working...
                                X