Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "shared services agreement"

Originally posted by Mauibuzz View Post
    The reason I asked, was because I get a lot "random" signal dropouts on 7.1 & 7.2. It does not matter if it is rain or shine. I know they have the lowest transmitter power. I have experimented with signal amps and that seems to solve the problem. I can't figure out why the FCC limits them to 3.9kw while others have way more power.
    FWIW, I have a +10db signal amp connected in my OTA antenna system.

I'm looking to add a distribution block because I have multiple TVs.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

MauiBuzz,

MauiBruddah here from Wailuku-sai. Funny thing, on one t.v. the 13.2 KGMB comes in with the box and rabbit ears(about time!), but on the other t.v., no can. Same kine box from Sears. Any idea why this is?

Comment

Originally posted by MauiBruddah View Post
        MauiBuzz,

MauiBruddah here from Wailuku-sai. Funny thing, on one t.v. the 13.2 KGMB comes in with the box and rabbit ears(about time!), but on the other t.v., no can. Same kine box from Sears. Any idea why this is?
        How long your cables?
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

As Random posted, check your cable lengths, you also might want to add a 10-12db amp to boost the signal. Ace hardware has 2 types, one is a 12db gain and the other is a variable 25db gain. I was having problems with 7.1,7.2 random dropouts, but the 25db gain solved that matter.

Comment

Cable lengths? I don't know; whatever the box came with. Okay, mahalos. I'll go check it out.

Comment

Hey, MauiBruddah
              Any luck with getting 13.2 on that second box?

Comment

Howzit MauiBuzz

Sorry, was offline for a while.

I dunno what happened, but before I got to do anything with the cables, 13.2 just came on by itself. Noticed it when I was flipping through all the thousand (kidding) channels. Another thing: channels 9, 13.2, and 21.1 often times freeze up or doesn't have any signal.

Tanks fo' asking!

MauiBruddah

Comment

Aloha, MauiBruddah
                  What part of Wailuku are U located? Hopefully you are not behind "Sand Hill", You said in one of your earlier post that U used rabbit ears. I get 9.1, and the others U listed really well. I have an roof mounted RCA ANT806 antenna and it seems to work well. I got it at Wall-Mart, but they don't have it stock locally any more. You can find it at www.rca.com. Or use Antennaweb.org to get more info.

Comment

Eh MauiBuzz

I stay mauka of Sandhills.

So with one roof mounted, would need to run one cable from that into the house fo' connek to the tv, right? I was thinking of trying to research one bigger rabbit ears or something else inside, and try not to mess with anything outside, if possible. The ol' tin foil wrapping didn't do nothing. I even wen try putting up my arms in the 'Y' formation, and guess what? Wen kinda werk. But arms got too tired real fast, so gotta find another way.

Thanks, though, for your advice. That might be the way to go.

MauiBruddah

Comment

The latest from the FCC:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...merger+details

Comment

Erika Engle covers a couple of items today in the ongoing KGMB-KHNL-KFVE news saga:

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...ml?mobile=true

Hawaii News Now News Director Chris Archer has secured a job on what working broadcasters might call "the dark side." He's signed on with a media consulting firm, SmithGeiger LLC, as a strategic consultant.

The shared services agreement between KGMB, KHNL and KFVE, in which nearly 70 peoples' jobs were cut, is covered in comments filed with the Federal Communications Commission on behalf of Media Council Hawaii and the Communications Workers of America. MCH, which will soon post the document, has been fighting the stations' business arrangement.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The latest:

http://www.kitv.com/news/23625658/detail.html

Comment

Erika's report:

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...egregious.html

Comment

I'm surprised nobody brought this up. On July 14, during the CBS Evening News, the Hawaii News Now teaser ("coming up next on Hawaii News Now...") had something to do with the HPD personnel who were taken off duty because of the faked DUI checkpoint scandal. The caption beneath the video of a SHOPO spokesperson was Need a Pig?

I choked on my dinner! My first thought was that this was dummy copy, used to indicate that a caption is needed before a caption is finally settled upon, and that some caption-writer had jokingly written this, meaning to replace it with a real caption later. Funny!

A few minutes later when that story was shown there was a corrected caption beneath the SHOPO spokesperson.

But then a few segments later, there was a story about the Hawaii Humane Society having a pig that needed a home. The Need a Pig? caption appeared again, this time beneath an actual pig. Aha.

Then, near the end of the broadcast, Keahi Tucker and Tannya Joaquin gave a longer-than-usual correction and apology, saying there had been an error and that Hawaii News Now has utmost respect for the men and women of HPD and that the caption error was just an unfortunate mistake. Tucker actually said something like, "The caption you see on your screen now was erroneously shown during our interview with the SHOPO spokesperson." I thought it was interesting that they were very specific about the mistake: often, you'll hear the apology say something like, "an incorrect caption was displayed and we apologize" without specifying what the mistake was.

I have it on my TiVo and could normally get a much higher-quality screen cap, but my TiVo desktop program is not working correctly and I haven't been able to make the transfers from my box to my PC. So until I do that, these shots from my phone will have to do.

The images here are of the caption during the apology, the caption as it was meant to appear, and the erroneous caption. I'll put up the corrected caption in the next response.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by scrivener; July 24, 2010, 11:15 AM.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Okay. Here's what the caption looked like during the actual story.
                                Attached Files
                                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X