X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Five-O 2.0 - Take Two!

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    I was wondering if there was a reference to Pacarro. Not too may Sweeties out there
    If the voice is half Portuguese and half Asian, her name would be Toyota Carderia with Silva wheel rims.
    Last edited by Walkoff Balk; March 22, 2010, 07:53 PM.

Comment

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/just-say-no...v-pilots--1102

Hawaii Five-O is at number 2.

Comment

I hope the rumor is not true regarding the 5-0 series being moved to Los Angeles if it is picked up by CBS....

Comment

If the legislature repeals the Act 221 tax credits (or if they have, I can't remember) more than likely a show could decide to move away.

That said in today's Honolulu Advertiser there is an article about the guy who owns the 2nd car (1974 Mercury Marquis) the original Steve McGarrett (Jack Lord) drove in the original series:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...motoring+along

The car is making a comeback in the new series - don't read the article if you don't like spoilers. There is a slight spoiler in it. However there is a good video clip that goes with the article too.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
            If the legislature repeals the Act 221 tax credits (or if they have, I can't remember) more than likely a show could decide to move away.
            I think 221 is dead. The legislature is debating the constitutionality of suspending existing credits until 2013, but I don't think the film industry will see any new credits for a long time.
            Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
            Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
            We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
            Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
              I hope the rumor is not true regarding the 5-0 series being moved to Los Angeles if it is picked up by CBS....
              Well, being that none of the regular cast is actually from Hawaii, maybe that's only fitting.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Daniel Dae Kim has a major role. Tho not native hawaiian, he is certainly kamaaina! And that big dude, Pomai or something? hes been in a few major movies shot locally. hes got a role in five o too!
                ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                  Daniel Dae Kim has a major role. Tho not native hawaiian, he is certainly kamaaina!
                  He is? I thought he moved to Hawaii when he got the Lost gig.
                  And that big dude, Pomai or something? hes been in a few major movies shot locally. hes got a role in five o too!
                  Very cool. Pomai's a sweetie.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                    Daniel Dae Kim has a major role. Tho not native hawaiian, he is certainly kamaaina! And that big dude, Pomai or something? hes been in a few major movies shot locally. hes got a role in five o too!
                    Note that I was talking about the regular cast. As in actors who would be listed on the opening credits. The old Hawaii Five-0 had actors on the opening credits who were born here. Kam Fong (Chin Ho), Zulu (Kono), and in later years, Herman Wedemeyer (Duke), and Moe Keale (Truck). Al Harrington (Ben) wasn't born in Hawaii, but he was raised here and attended grade school in the islands.

DDK is a good actor. And his being in Lost as well as his Asian background might give Mainland audiences the perception that he "looks the part" of an island local. But he's NOT. Even if he has taken up residence here, it is so recent that he's still a Malahini in my book.

And if you're talking about Pomaika'i Brown,.... he was born here. But is his role on the opening credits? Or is it a lesser, recurring character? If it's the latter, then well,....

Just my opinion. Having no local born or bred actors in the opening credits as featured cast members is a major step backwards from the original Hawaii Five-0. And if anyone like me believes that the talents of Kam Fong and Zulu contributed to the charm and authenticity that made Hawaii Five-0 an immediate ratings success and unique from other TV cop shows, then the absence of local thespians from the major roles does not bode well for this H50 re-boot.
                    Last edited by Frankie's Market; April 20, 2010, 10:59 AM.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      He is? I thought he moved to Hawaii when he got the Lost gig.

Very cool. Pomai's a sweetie.
                      I think what turtlegirl means is he has lived here for six years and with that has earned the right to be called kamaaina. He lives a house or two from my cousin in Hawaii Kai.

Matthew Fox and Evangeline Lilly have badmouthed Hawaii in recent years and seem more than happy to leave....

Comment

I agree with Frankie to a certain extent, Kam Fong, Zulu, Harrington, Keale, Wedemeyer, I'll add Doug Mossman, etc. added a local touch that made the show authentic and represent Hawaii better by hiring local actors. But don't forget the bread and butter of the show were Jack Lord and James MacArthur, both mainland born and raised. I think if you took a poll on the mainland they would be the two primary actors remembered over the others listed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                          I agree with Frankie to a certain extent, Kam Fong, Zulu, Harrington, Keale, Wedemeyer, I'll add Doug Mossman, etc. added a local touch that made the show authentic and represent Hawaii better by hiring local actors. But don't forget the bread and butter of the show were Jack Lord and James MacArthur, both mainland born and raised. I think if you took a poll on the mainland they would be the two primary actors remembered over the others listed.
                          Jack Lord and Jimmy MacArthur had the two biggest roles, as far as screen time and spoken lines were concerned. And truth be known, Jack probably had more fan mail than all of the other actors collectively.

But I would argue that Kam and Zulu gave Hawaii Five-0 its "soul." Take away those two actors, and the show might still have gone on to be a success with Jack and Jimmy carrying the load. But instead of the H50 show we all fondly remembered it being, you might have ended up with results closer to "Dragnet - 50th state style" instead.

BTW, Mossman never made the opening credits, although for a brief time after Harrington left the show, it seemed like Doug's Frank Kamana character was right on the cusp of being a full-fledged 5-0 officer. But after the 7th season, the Officer Kamana character disappeared without explanantion and Mossman's status was dropped back into the stable of local actors who made occasional appearances playing different characters (along with Danny Kamekona, Seth Sakai, Kwan Hi Lim, Tom Fujiwara, etc.)
                          Last edited by Frankie's Market; April 20, 2010, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                            Well, being that none of the regular cast is actually from Hawaii, maybe that's only fitting.
                            You can't ask any of the regular actors on the series, "What high school you went grad?"

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post

BTW, Mossman never made the opening credits, although for a brief time after Harrington left the show, it seemed like Doug's Frank Kamana character was right on the cusp of being a full-fledged 5-0 officer. But after the 7th season, the Officer Kamana character disappeared without explanantion and Mossman's status was dropped back into the stable of local actors who made occasional appearances playing different characters (along with Danny Kamekona, Seth Sakai, Kwan Hi Lim, Tom Fujiwara, etc.)
                              My mistake on Mossman I got caught up in moreso of local actors who appeared in many epiosdes and forgot we were doing just the opening credit thing. Believe Sakai and Kwan Hi Lim passed away in the last few years, Kwan appeared in many episodes of Magnum P.I. as Lt. Tanaka, they killed off his character in the final season.

Comment

Kwan was my attorney for years when I needed legal advice. He also auditioned for me several times. I believe he is or was Menehune Man's landlord. And, I believe he is still above the sod!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X