Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Hawaii Five-0" News & Sightings

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    She pinned the nail on the donkey with that statement. This version of 5-0 is vastly different than the original series. It should be, the show is written, produced and acted with an entire new generation. They have the "Hollywood" artistic license to do what they want with the show.
    I said it before in post #70:

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    As illegal as all of the above activities were, the audience watching this show could reason that an illegal search was "okay," if it meant leading to the rescue of hostage being hidden somewhere with a time element involved. And while stealing money from the HPD evidence room is *really* pushing it, once again, the audience will tolerate McGarrett doing that because it provided the only real hope of saving Chin Ho's life.

But to go beyond that and to kill a criminal, any criminal, once that person has surrendered..., different story. Once that happens, the audience will never look at Steve McGarrett the same way again.
    I never said that the new H50 didn't have any license to make changes. All that I said was that there should be some kind of limits placed on the changes. For example, McGarrett covering up the burning of HPD evidence money, as it was used to save Chin Ho...... that's probably okay. OTOH, McGarrett covering up a murder he commits.... NO, that's not okay.

Now if anyone wants to take issue with that, then great. Step right up and we'll have a good discussion on that. Otherwise, have a good time beating up on a strawman argument of your own creation.

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    I'm just so tired of those like FM who keep nit picking the series to death. I think they should just shut the f*** up!
    Merry Christmas to you, Anapuni.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

and the same to you Frankie - sincerely, the same to you.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

It's fun to try to figure out who's going to do what to whom, when and why, analyze characters, watch the new technology and guess locations...as a stand alone show. Still none of us can get into the writers' heads so everything is just conjecture. Negatively comparing the reboot to the original and bashing the show (regardless of which series) is useless and takes the fun out of the discussion. Maybe a new thread for those who don't like the show should be started.

Comment

thats a great idea! i would hope that the "haters" would pay attention to your posting.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Maybe a new thread for those who don't like the show should be started.
            At this point in time there are three threads dealing with Hawaii Five-0. This thread is meant for news and sighting, basically stuff that deals with before an episode airs, but not storyline stuff.

The second thread titled New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion is stuff dealing after an episode airs and with the overall storyline of the series itself.

The third thread titled Classic Hawaii Five-0 vs. New Hawaii Five-0 has been around since August to compare stuff between the two series.

I have to say the posts since #67 should have gone over to the second thread and not this one with maybe #70 and #71 should have gone to the third thread.

As far as bashing the series, I know this thread is not meant for that, more than likey the third thread can be used if one is trying to compare the new series with the old. Maybe the second thread if it pertains to an episode after it has been aired.
            Last edited by helen; December 24, 2010, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder about the other 2 threads, Helen. Yep...there's sumthin' for everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                As far as bashing the series, I know this thread is not meant for that, more than likey the third thread can be used if one is trying to compare the new series with the old. Maybe the second thread if it pertains to an episode after it has been aired.
                And just to add to that,....

For those who want to participate in a forum where there's no negative critiquing of Hawaii 5-0, there are fan forums which offer that, like this one.

http://www.hawaii-five-0-fans.com/forum/

Last I checked, this is Hawaii Threads, not the Hawaii 5-0 Shrine of Worship.

Contrary to some of the comments that have been made here, I have offered some props about the new show. I haven't just made negative critiques. (I call it critiques, not bashing. I always offer a reason and explanation for my comments. I never just say that the stories or the actors suck.)

Finally, if anyone is chagrined by anything me or anyone else says, there's always the "ignore" function instead of trying to censor and suppress what others have to say.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

People's Choice Award - Best New TV Drama

Comment

From CBS:
                    SUNDAY, JANUARY 23: Catch a New Episode of H50 Immediately Following the Game! THE NFL ON CBS's coverage of the AFC Championship will begin at 6:30 PM, ET.

“Kai e’e” – Five-0 struggles to stay a step ahead of a major tsunami that has the island evacuating its shores as they investigate the disappearance of the head of the Tsunami Warning Center, on HAWAII FIVE-0 Sunday, Jan. 23 (immediately following the AFC Championship) on the CBS Television Network.

HAWAII FIVE-0 averages 13.25 million viewers and dominates its time period in both viewers and key demographics each week. The top new drama among adults 18-49, H50 is also the most played-back program of the season, averaging an additional 2.97 million viewers per episode when 7-day DVR data is calculated.
                    Presuming the AFC Championship game is aired live in Hawaii at 1:30 p.m. HST, I wonder if "Hawaii Five-0" will indeed immediately follow at around 4:30 p.m., or if KGMB will go to local news and some filler to broadcast "Hawaii Five-0" in primetime?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      From CBS:
                      Presuming the AFC Championship game is aired live in Hawaii at 1:30 p.m. HST, I wonder if "Hawaii Five-0" will indeed immediately follow at around 4:30 p.m., or if KGMB will go to local news and some filler to broadcast "Hawaii Five-0" in primetime?
                      Those program advisories typically do not apply to markets in the Pacific and Hawaiian time zones, since the football game is not taking place during primetime in those areas.

Comment

Today (4/14) is the final day of filming for season one. They're blowing things up over near Ali`iolani Hale - wrap party tonight, at which it may be announced that the show is coming back for season 2.

On this day also, TNT cable bought synidcation rights to 5-0 at $2-million per episode, to start airing in 2014. Sounds as though this show is expected or expecting to go on for a while.

Comment

Joe Moore rips the new series in a letter to the editor today:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/editor...he_editor.html

Comment

I thought Joe Moore's letter was excellent especially the part about hiring more local actors. It does appear that all the meaty roles are had by actors that are form the mainland, unless we have an overwhelming amount of talented local haole actors.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                              Joe Moore rips the new series in a letter to the editor today:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/editor...he_editor.html
                              I also hope in the second season, they show more willingness to cast our talented local actors, not only in bit parts that have one or two lines, but in some of the meaty roles, instead of bringing in five or six mainland actors every week for parts, some of which could and should be cast locally.
                              <sigh>
                              From my little perch within the industry, Hawaii just doesn't have enough actors with skilled acting chops to fill the "meaty roles". If the show caved in to local pressure then we'd be complaining about the poor acting. Yes, we have a handful or 2 of very decent actors here but nowhere near a large enough pool for H50 to pull from on an ongoing basis. Then we'd be complaining about seeing the same actors in too many roles! My guess is the producers ask Rachel to cast for many of the same meaty roles as the LA casting director. And, may the best actor win. It also helps the budget to hire local actors but the show won't do that at the expense of compromising quality and potential ratings. No production should be shamed into hiring actors based on residency.

In season 1, Taylor Wily (13 eps), Dennis Chun (5 eps), Mark Dacascos (4 eps), Kelly Hu (3 eps) and Al Harrington (2 eps) had recurring roles. I hope to see more of Al; Kelly, too, maybe as her long lost twin! Taylor and Mark are shoo-ins, I think! Hopefully Dennis, too. I love seeing our local actors get the work. The show is obviously trying.

A few months ago the producers asked local CD, Rachel Sutton, and local acting coach, Scott Rogers, to put on an acting workshop for 20 (iirc), hand picked, aspiring actors. The purpose was to push them to a level of acting whereby they can be in a better position to nail an audition and be hired. Again, the show is obviously trying.

As I've mentioned in other threads, when local actors who are serious about their craft reach a certain level they move to the mainland to further their careers...Don Stroud, Kelly Preston, Jason Mamoa, Tia Carerre, Kelly Hu and Mark Dacascos come to mind. And we know what show the last 2 have already appeared in! I wonder if Joe considers those who have left Hawaii to further their careers to no longer be local actors.

Let the disagreements begin!

Comment

Re: &quot;Hawaii Five-0&quot; News &amp; Sightings

Maybe Joe is just complaining because they haven't called on him for a part! but, I think the real reason they bring in actors from the mainland is because they have a "name" and can appeal to the mainland audience. After all - the show isn't really just for us guys here.
                                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X