"Hawaii Five-0" News & Sightings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Hawaii Five-0" News & Sightings

You're right, anapuni...to a point! The show seems to have established a guest star for each episode. And, that's part of a successful equation. Other "meaty roles" are going to good actors who, for the most part, have no name recognition. Joe's a good actor and deserves a chance at one of those meaty parts. I have no idea if he's even auditioned for a role or, more importantly, whether his KHON contract would allow him to appear in a CBS show.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      I have no idea if he's even auditioned for a role or, more importantly, whether his KHON contract would allow him to appear in a CBS show.
      That is a valid point I thought about as well, I wonder too if he is allowed to act on a CBS show. Of course he appeared on Magnum P.I. a few times so at one time he obviously could.

Comment

I was happy to see they have brought back the "Che Fong" character. I think Harry Endo would be happy to see all the new technology the police chemist part he played has to work with now!
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

A few months ago the producers asked local CD, Rachel Sutton, (...)
          First of all, Tutu, I want to say that your long post yesterday was spot on the money. Very well done.
          Secondly, I was reading today's paper and Rachel Sutton was mentioned in Mike Gordon's post about casting for Hawaii Five-O! The full story is at this link. Great timing!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            [...]The full story is at this link.[...]
            I was aware of this. It wasn't a question of IF; just a question of WHEN...

Fees aren't allowed but I assumed (wrongly, it appears!) that Rachel must have sought permission and had it granted. In her favor, she didn't charge people who were already union members. There's been a crackdown on LA casting directors, too. With the emerging technology, I think the unions will need to revisit this subject and make some fair changes for all concerned as it's costly to maintain a site that intakes photos and info and also generates a plethora of unexpected emails. I, too, have a photo submission page (not the fancy, online data base kind) but have never charged a submission fee. An enormous amount of email is generated by people who can't/don't/won't follow directions. Of course, this tells me they probably can't/don't/won't follow direction on the set either! Still, it involves a lot of time working for free. I'd like to see the unions come to an amicable decision to allow a small registration fee for online submissions by people who are not union members.

Comment

Also,Tutu is correct to characterize the high-profile out-of-towners as 'guest STARS,' because certainly in some cases (Combs, Springfield) they're not ACTORS.

Comment

It took me awhile to warm up to the new Hawaii Five-0. I think after 22+ episodes the show has proven it can stand on its own, without being a carbon copy of the original (which I dearly love). Old Joe has his head stuck in the sand on the part of "dishonoring" the original.

Like the remake of Battlestar Galactica from 2004, this new Hawaii Five-0 has taken on the title of the original and moved as well as updated the series into newer and more modern time. It is the best new show of the just concluding TV season.

Re-imagined remakes while sometimes hard on fans who love the originals can be successful and stand on their own merits. Happens all the time not only in TV, but more so in the movies too... the re-imagined Star Trek comes to mind from a few years ago. That movie has been a success and I think some of the people behind that are also working on this new Hawaii Five-0 series.

As for using local talent, I am all for it as much as anyone. However the show has to appeal to a wide national and international audience. Millions of dollars are spent on each episode. The producers are right in casting the best actors they can find to fit the many core, recurring and guest roles written for the series. They must and will use a deep talent pool that comes from the industry and places all over.

Whatever Joe says, Hawaii Five-0 has and will be a success for some years to come. CBS seems to be hugely committed to it in a big way that 1. the series has been renewed, and 2. in its first year, the syndication rights have already been sold to TNT without enough episodes in the can. So we can rest assured (as long as ratings hold strong) that Hawaii Five-0 will continue for a while.
                Last edited by mel; May 24, 2011, 06:25 AM.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

In her favor, she didn't charge people who were already union members...
                  I'd like to see the unions come to an amicable decision to allow a small registration fee for online submissions by people who are not union members.
                  Actually, she did charge union members, which is never allowed.

Also, neither AFTRA nor SAG have any jurisdiction over Non Union actors, their governance is Hawaii State Labor laws.
                  ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

TG - this is WAAAAAY off topic, but how is you housing situation now? maybe you should revive your other thread to update us?
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

• Re: "Hawaii Five-0" News & Sightings

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                      Actually, she did charge union members, which is never allowed.[...]
                      Was she charging union members even when her web site stated she wasn't?

Comment

Yes, ma'am! Ask those in attendance, they'll say the same.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                          Yes, ma'am! Ask those in attendance, they'll say the same.
                          No need. I'll take your word for it. It's between Rachel and the union and, in all honesty, is really none of my business.

Comment

Yeah, not really mine either.

Comment

Breaking news at this link!!!

Veteran actor Terry O'Quinn, who won an Emmy for his role on the ABC hit "Lost," will bring his star power to "Hawaii Five-0" when the crime drama launches its second season in September.
                              O'Quinn will have a recurring role as the Navy SEAL who taught Steve McGarrett all he knows and also served in Vietnam with his father, CBS said today. His character is described as a man with secrets who may be able to help McGarrett unravel the mystery behind the murder of his parents.
                              "O'Quinn's character, who we will meet in the premiere, is going to be a major contributor to our team ... because he taught McGarrett everything he knows," said Peter Lenkov, the show's executive producer, in a CBS news release.
                              (...)

HOORAY!!!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post

Veteran actor Terry O'Quinn, who won an Emmy for his role on the ABC hit "Lost," will bring his star power to "Hawaii Five-0" when the crime drama launches its second season in September.
                                O'Quinn will have a recurring role as the Navy SEAL who taught Steve McGarrett all he knows and also served in Vietnam with his father, CBS said today. His character is described as a man with secrets who may be able to help McGarrett unravel the mystery behind the murder of his parents.
                                Was he the stepfather?

Comment

Working...
                                X