Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
    Yes, I enjoyed watching it, but my overall excitement level is slowly going down. Haven't we seen this story line like 5X on the old Hawaii Five-O? And maybe 3X on Magnum PI?
    Well certainly for the original 5-0 and possibly Magnum (which I never was a fan of)... but for me, this episode was better than some. I have resigned myself to lower my expectations whenever the new 5-0 is on, because if I have to continually compare it to the Classic 5-0, then I probably never enjoy watching the series.

I guess we have to enjoy it while it lasts - who knows, with declining ratings this could end up being the only season for new 5-0. And so far, even if the series may be in trouble, I think CBS still has confidence in it, because since its debut, it has not been pre-empted nor has the day and timeslot been changed.

A TV show may be in trouble of the network starts moving it around to a different day and time. So far new "Hawaii Five-0" is still holding its own.... but as I and other posters have mentioned, it all boils down to ratings, ratings, ratings and ratings!
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
      I guess we have to enjoy it while it lasts - who knows, with declining ratings this could end up being the only season for new 5-0. And so far, even if the series may be in trouble, I think CBS still has confidence in it, because since its debut, it has not been pre-empted nor has the day and timeslot been changed.

A TV show may be in trouble of the network starts moving it around to a different day and time. So far new "Hawaii Five-0" is still holding its own.... but as I and other posters have mentioned, it all boils down to ratings, ratings, ratings and ratings!
      Hawaii Five-0 merely holding its own in the 10 pm time slot against ABC's Castle won't be enough. Not with the considerable budget and hype that CBS has invested in H50. Expectations at the network were lofty, going in. And thus far, those expectations have not been met.

Notice that in the promos, CBS no longer refers to H50 as the top new show of the season. Within the network's own stable of programming, both Mike & Molly and Blue Bloods have already surpassed H50 in the pecking order of new shows.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
        Kono Kalakaua so far have never said anything Hawaiian or make any reference to being (part) Hawaiian, other than a few bad pidgin English.
        That has been picked up on a couple of TV show discussion forums I routinely visit. So even to a mainland audience, Grace Park is not very convincing playing the part of a local/Hawaiian character. Heck, this show has McGarrett relating to the island culture better than Kono.

Very sad to see this once-great franchise being driven into the ground by people who have absolutely no understanding of what made the original show unique and captivating for so many years.

Somewhere, Zulu is turning over in his grave.
        Last edited by Frankie's Market; November 16, 2010, 12:33 PM.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
          ummm.............i don't think there is an okina in "poipu"

but where do you look for the epi number and title? i never seem to see it!
          Possibly one of the writer's checked Wikipedia?!!

Hawaii Five-0 - Po'ipu
          Air Date: 11/15/10
          Full Episode 43:24

Dunno about the ep #, tho', as it certainly isn't the 109th episode! Maybe someone can decode that for us.

Comment

Every episode has had a Hawaiian title, and thus, a little Hawaiian language lesson sent out with the marketing materials. I kinda think it's a nice touch. CBS translated "poʻipū" as "the siege," which sure sounds awesome... but like most words it has more nuance than that. From Wehewehe.org:

poʻi.pū - nvt. To cover over entirely, as of clouds or engulfing waves; to attack, overwhelm; onslaught, attack (For. 4:53). Ua ʻpoʻipū i ka mana o ke kahuna, entirely under the influence of the priest.

I enjoyed last night's episode. I watched it with a group at Big City Diner at Ward. The hollers and cheers at the trolley scene were great. (And reminded many "LOST" fans of a similar scene in Season 3.) The Windows Phone 7 and Chevy product placements are annoying... but that's what we get for DVRing and skipping commercials!

Comment

Car chases, shootouts... yawn. Just another cop show but set in a place I love. I find that I spend more time looking at the backgrounds to recognize places -- Bobby's Market in Waimanalo, other spots in Waimanalo and Kaaawa, hurray! I also look at people in the backgrounds to see if I recognize anyone.
              It was the best episode yet for the new McGarrett, though.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                Every episode has had a Hawaiian title, and thus, a little Hawaiian language lesson sent out with the marketing materials. I kinda think it's a nice touch. CBS translated "poʻipū" as "the siege," which sure sounds awesome... but like most words it has more nuance than that. From Wehewehe.org:

poʻi.pū - nvt. To cover over entirely, as of clouds or engulfing waves; to attack, overwhelm; onslaught, attack (For. 4:53). Ua ʻpoʻipū i ka mana o ke kahuna, entirely under the influence of the priest.

I enjoyed last night's episode. I watched it with a group at Big City Diner at Ward. The hollers and cheers at the trolley scene were great. (And reminded many "LOST" fans of a similar scene in Season 3.) The Windows Phone 7 and Chevy product placements are annoying... but that's what we get for DVRing and skipping commercials!
                Hi PZ - thanks for the language lesson. I was thinking of the street/area "Poipu" and didn't realize the other spelling. I have liked every week so far and have even watched some over again. Last nite was fun - lots of action and not as much "bantering" as other ones. I do wish they would not have made Kono a girl though - that just doesn't seem right.
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

The reference to ep 109 = episode 9 of the 2010 season = 10-9

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    ummm.............i don't think there is an okina in "poipu"

but where do you look for the epi number and title? i never seem to see it!
                    I didn't know about it till I looked it up. and I'm too lazy to put in the kahako.

poʻi.pū 1. nvt. To cover over entirely, as of clouds or engulfing waves; to attack, overwhelm; onslaught, attack (For. 4:53). Ua ʻpoʻipū i ka mana o ke kahuna, entirely under the influence of the priest.
                    (from http://wehewehe.olelo.hawaii.edu)

Like Ha`iku in Kaneohe. I grew up saying haiku (like the japanese poem).

Actually in TV nomenclature, the "1" indicates the first season, the second two digits are the episode. So 109 is the ninth episode of the first season. I included the pilot in my count, so it may be actually episode 108.

edit: oops saw that someone found po`ipu in the dictionary
                    Last edited by teeth63a; November 17, 2010, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Hey, Lika, If you have a sharp eye for the scenery and background, you will see me and my car in the pilot (first) episode!! Oh, and in another ep too, but harder to recognize.
                      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                        The reference to ep 109 = episode 9 of the 2010 season = 10-9
                        I don't think this is quite right. The year is not part of the conventional TV episode numbering scheme. Season 1, episode 9 is 1x09, Season 1, Episode 13 will be 1x13. I think the '0' is a leading zero to accommodate more than ten episodes per season. Some folks don't use the 'x' so you get '109', '113,' etc.

Comment

Standing corrected . . .

Comment

Wow...Jaclyn Smith was as beautiful as ever. Those products really turn back time.

I thought Danno's ex-wife would have been Local, rather than British, judging from the mix appearance of his daughter Grace.

Comment

British or not, I thought the chemistry was pretty good between Claire Van Der Boom and Scott Caan. And I really liked the Side Street mention at the end. Much more genuine and much less forced than the early conversation about malasadas.

The Windows Phone 7 product placement is pretty horrid, though. Daniel Dae Kim practically did a hands-on demo in the middle of the story.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                                The Windows Phone 7 product placement is pretty horrid, though. Daniel Dae Kim practically did a hands-on demo in the middle of the story.
                                I thought they were on iPhone earlier. The corporate money.

Next season, they will be driving Hyundais.

Comment

Working...
                                X