Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When K5 Sports pulls regular programming

When K5 Sports pulls regular programming like 7th Heaven/Everwood or
    Charmed do they have an obligation to broadcast these shows at a different time for viewers? I watch alot of the WB shows and could care less about what K5 Sports is showing, so how can I see my favorite shows? Does anyone know if 7th Heaven and Everwood will be on at anytime this week?

Thanks, KalihiBoy

Re: When K5 Sports pulls regular programming

This has been an ongoing problem with K5 and their UH sports contract for years. Between 1995 and 1998, K5 was the home for the syndicated series Babylon 5. Often times the show would be pulled because of a UH baseball or volleyball game. It was in a Sunday night 6 PM time slot so that never conflicted with football or most basketball games. The worst were daytime baseball games that started at say 2 or 4 pm and went way overtime because of either a rain delay or extra innings.

I think back then we used to send emails and make phone calls to the station so that the pre-empted or even worst, cut show, would be aired at a time convenient to most viewers. Since Babylon 5 was in first run syndication at the time, I think K5 had more flexibility to move it around vs. network fare that they now have.

That said, I have seen WB shows piled up in odd hours on Saturday evenings perhaps to make up for lost air dates on the weekdays.

One last word, if you are upset about your favorite shows being moved or pre-empted, be nice in your communications with the station. The last thing they want are angry hate mail or phone call types from viewers. They seem to be more receptive if we are nice, but stern in our position. After all the viewers are what keeps eyes glued to the TV and potential sponsors buying into the show.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I guess I will reply to my own post, found out that 7th Heaven/Everwood will air on Saturday 2/26 from 300-500pm.

KalihiBoy

Comment

K5's contract with UH is up in May and you may not have this problem to worry about if they do not get it back. Oceanic is primed to throw a ton of money at UH for the contract, and it may be hard for the cash-strapped program to turn down the money.

Link to Advertiser article:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../sp/sp02p.html

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy
          Oceanic is primed to throw a ton of money at UH for the contract, and it may be hard for the cash-strapped program to turn down the money.

[/url]
          I'd like to see Oceanic throw some money towards production...........

Spongie

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy
            K5's contract with UH is up in May and you may not have this problem to worry about if they do not get it back. Oceanic is primed to throw a ton of money at UH for the contract, and it may be hard for the cash-strapped program to turn down the money.

Link to Advertiser article:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../sp/sp02p.html

And there go your cable rates....

Comment

I can echo Mel's experience, while my grief was with Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. One baseball game went into extra innings, instead of delaying the airing of the episode or showing part of it, they went into the next scheduled program which was a re-telecast of a UH Volleyball from eariler in the day.

It would have been nice if they had announce during the baseball game that the Star Trek episode would be aired at a different time, but they didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by hebeasor
                And there go your cable rates....

There's a thread on here reagrding Oceanic advertising on other main Stations for their programming and Roadrunner. Has anyone wondered if any part of this advertising budget is derived from cable and Roadrunner subscribers? Yes, I know Oceanic will add local spots on the cable stations.....But I'm tallking the big 4, KHON, KITV, KGMB, and KHNL. Oceanic BUYS airtime on these stations to sell their product. It really hit me tonight when the Roadrunner "Gamer" spot came on in primetime during "Alias". They also have sponsored billboards during all the newscasts. We're already paying Oceanic good money for our cable, why do we need to be shown advertising to watch more TV?

Comment

I used to get angry too when K-5 used to preempt WWE Smackdown on Thursday nights just to show lousy volleyball games from UH. Probably why UPN was tossed from that station. At least now KIKU shows it at 10.00 PM on Saturday nights. Would be nice if KIKU would become the affiliate for UPN as we can't see any of their programs now.As the Fink would say " Think About It" LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy
                    I watch alot of the WB shows and could care less about what K5 Sports is showing, so how can I see my favorite shows?
                    I'm sure there are just as many (if not more) people who watch K5 sports and could care less about what the WB is showing.
                    Originally posted by Mel
                    After all the viewers are what keeps eyes glued to the TV and potential sponsors buying into the show.
                    And I've got a feeling that UH sports attracts more viewers and sponsors than the WB's programming. It all comes back to what will make the station the most money.

The one bad thing about Oceanic getting the contract? You won't be able to watch any of the games over the air - in order to get OC-16, you'll need to subscribe to Oceanic's cable service. No more taking your TV to the stadium/arena/ballpark with you in order to catch the instant replays on K5.

And I bet they convert a lot of the free broadcasts into pay-per-views. Not only do you have to pay for a cable box, you'll also get to pay to watch the game itself.

Comment

Working...
                    X