Greg Takayama Leaves KHON?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg Takayama Leaves KHON?

So Greg Takayama, my choice for top (tv) political reporter in Hawai'i (i watch the local news for a living), has packed his bags and left KHON for a cushy PR gig at the UH School of Medicine. I suspect he just got sick and tired of joe moore's condescending, post-package questions. And they (UH) threw a big bag of money at him.

Is anyone else chagrined that one of the most thorough and articulate reporters in the state has forsaken his previously chosen profession to become a PR hack?
    Don't be mean,
    try to help.

Re: Greg Takayama Leaves KHON?

U.S. Sen. Daniel Inouye in Washington and has worked as a spokesperson for the Hawaii Department of Public Safety.Wouldn't be the first time.

Journalists spend their college days mocking the PR folks. Then the rest of their lives coveting those PR paychecks.

Lots of former journalists become PR pros, many of them capitalizing on their media visibility for the better PR slots. Spokespeople for U.S. senators, major corporations... there was the DOT guy (the name's on the tip of my tongue -- also KHON, if I recall), and the Advertiser/KHON's Kim Murakawa, who was Cayetano's spokesperson.

Bears noting that people go the "other way," too. In fact, Takayama himself was Sen. Daniel Inouye's spokesman, as well as for the Hawaii Department of Public Safety. In fact, maybe he's the guy I was thinking of!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon

Lots of former journalists become PR pros, many of them capitalizing on their media visibility for the better PR slots.
      let's not forget the lovely donalyn dela cruz, now US Sen Akaka's mouthpiece!
      Don't be mean,
      try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon

In fact, Takayama himself was Sen. Daniel Inouye's spokesman, as well as for the Hawaii Department of Public Safety. In fact, maybe he's the guy I was thinking of!
        This might be outdated news already, but my most recent memory is Lyle Galdera being the spokesman for the DPS.

Comment

And Robbie Dingeman, probebly the best pure reporter in town, "cleansed" herself of KHON by a stint as a city utility PAO and then went to the Agonizer.

Comment

my memory's shot but (and i know i have the name messed up) but mufi's spokeswoman was something like aleshia yadao? and anne bottecheli (spelling???) left to be a pr person, too, right?
            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Some other former TVers and where they are went...

Bill Brennan/KHON: City spokesperson

Elisa Yadao/KGMB : Bishop Estate...Didn't she pick a bad time to have been, duribg the whole trustee snafu.

Su Shin/KHNL: Board of Water Supply spokesperson.

Ann Botticelli/KHON?KITV: Communications Pacific

BTW, if antone cares to notice, KHON is still running a news promo with Takayama in it.

Comment

Can you blame these people for leaving? Better money & better hours... not to mention a sane working environment. I thought Greg was a good reporter... def. the best political reporter in town... but not made for television. I loved his bright aloha shirts but he was hard to listen to--he prob. would have been better as a newspaper reporter.

Comment

Here are two more that weren't mentioned:

Barbara Tanabe/KHON: Hill and Knowlton/Pacific Communications, Inc.

Carolyn Tanaka/KHON & KGMB: UH-Manoa, Associate V.P. for External Affairs and University Relations

Comment

Working...
                  X