X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Paula Akana and Jodi Leong

Originally posted by konakiwi
    Did we last week see the possible future of KITV, the all female anchor team of Paula Akana and Jodi Leong? It has worked in the past, remember Kim and Jade. Let me say it was a breath of fresh air. They played well off each other and they didn't have any awkward moments of silence like KITV's regular combo of Paula and Shawn. I will keep my fingers crossed.
    The ladies definitely looked like they were having fun. I don't particularly enjoy watching Shawn Ching because he lacks energy and excitement, seems like he's just reading from a teleprompter. Paula Akana, Jodi Leong(and even Gary Sprinkle when he subs) have more presence--hopefully Jodi will make a comeback as the primetime anchor with Paula. I miss watching her on KHNL and would switch to KITV if they put her there. Way to go! Let's hope KITV wises up.

Comment

Originally posted by newsgroupie
      The ladies definitely looked like they were having fun. I don't particularly enjoy watching Shawn Ching because he lacks energy and excitement, seems like he's just reading from a teleprompter. Paula Akana, Jodi Leong(and even Gary Sprinkle when he subs) have more presence--hopefully Jodi will make a comeback as the primetime anchor with Paula. I miss watching her on KHNL and would switch to KITV if they put her there. Way to go! Let's hope KITV wises up.
      I remember posting a note about Shawn and some twit gave me a red chicklet for it! But you're safe. No more gum around here! That's OK. I saw the gals working together too and I thought they were great together. Jodi's hair is getting longer. Even though he has his law degree now, I don't know if he'll bow out anytime soon. As much as I'd like to think Jodi and Paula would do well together, I don't know if the station is ready to give up Shawn. Jodi is a trouper, she'll do a great job because of her attitude and she is sure to earn the recognition she deserves. She's "new" again...not that much, but there might be a little bit of a probationary exercise underway, that she'll handle with no problem.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

• Re: Hawaii TV News Anchors and Reporters

Shout out to Diane Ako, the only woman who can still look and act like a girl anchor, lots of subdued fun. I wish she would come out of her shell and just GO GIRL. Cool thing about her is that she is a Kam grad, but doesn't think she's all that. And she married this haole guy who is totally nice and cool, and she's like, that's right, I married a haole guy, so what's up, boyz....And also because she has the heart of a journalist, even though she's up there and having to primp and pose.....inside, she wants to bust out. So I hope she does. Because she's a good writer and a smart chick who went to some private school in Menlo, CA and came back home and, once again, doesn't think she's all THAT.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
          I remember posting a note about Shawn and ... Even though he has his law degree now, I don't know if he'll bow out anytime soon. As much as I'd like to think Jodi and Paula would do well together, I don't know if the station is ready to give up Shawn.
          Yes, I for one was very curious to see what kind of plans Shawn had when he completed his law degree. I think when the time is right (i.e. a “choice” open seat in city or state government, getting demoted or laid off at KITV, etc.) he will leave the business for bigger and better things.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Hi Guys,
            I'm sorry but I've read this thread, am new to HT but wow
            we're talking about news journalists like we're casting some daytime soap. I know I should probably keep it light but who the heck cares if
            we have a two girl news team or Shawn's law degree or Kim Gennaula's bad hair day. Do we realize that what's going on in Hawaii's television market is unprecedented anywhere else?

Comment

Originally posted by bcliquot
              I know I should probably keep it light but who the heck cares if
              we have a two girl news team or Shawn's law degree or Kim Gennaula's bad hair day.
              We're talking story. LIke how we talk story in real life, one ting leads to another and that's how we get gossip and stuff to talk about.
              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                We're talking story. LIke how we talk story in real life, one ting leads to another and that's how we get gossip and stuff to talk about.
                This is one of the great things about HT - we don't have to be serious all the time.

Bcliqout, welcome to HT. If you want serious discussion about media matters start a thread or pick up on one of the existing threads that address such things as dual ownership, etc. etc. Personally, I spend enough time dealing with serious problems and I enjoy the light hearted banter.

Comment

Here's my take on some of the tv personnel:

Jodi Leong: amateurish with too much nervous energy. She should go back to KHNL.

Kim G: second only to Joe Moore at the anchor desk. And I think her new hairstyle is very becoming on her.

Paula Akana, Mahealani Richardson, Shawn Ching: shouldn't look at their respective anchor partners so much, very annoying. Look at the camera and the viewing audience instead.

Kirk Matthews & Leslie Wilcox: classy.

Dash and Shima: belong on KHNL.

Tannya Joaquim: good reporter but too silly at the anchor desk.

Joe Moore: arrogant but can't live without him @ 6p news.

Ron Mizutani: mumbles and looks nervous at the anchor desk.

Stephanie Lum: clear voice and ennunciation but should drop voice at end of sentence, not go one note higher.

As for the sports anchors, Rob DeMello is good. Lots of info, easy to understand. Kanoa Leahey doesn't put much info in his reports, Kekaula has the info but is hard to understand.

Comment

I'll throw in my 2 cents now.

News:

Joe Moore: A lot like the New York Yankees. Love to Hate, and have major respect for him.

Leslie Wilcox: Easy to watch, everyone has an aunty just like her.

Jai Cunningham: Has changed a lot since moving from sports to news. Think he's too much like Joe Moore.

Howard Dashefsky: Solid, but just doesn't keep me there.

Stephanie Lum: I really think she's the future. Thought Tasha K from KITV before, but now that she's gone Lum is soon to be number 1.

Shawn Ching: No personality. Very hard to watch.

Paula Akana: Horrible with Ching, but when she's alone or with someone else. Really good and fun to watch.

Jill Kuramoto: I love watching her. Doesn't act like she's better than you. Very down to earth on air.

Kim Gennaula: Great personality. Can't believe she's not from here, really captured the local girl flavor.

Sports:

Kanoa Leahey: Very Solid. Not as enthusiastic as when he was weekends at kitv, but now has a more Joe Moore'ish type of personality on khon. Works for him though.

Liz Chun: Hard to watch. And always talks more about national stories than local stuff.

Joh Veneri: I love Go Johnny Go, but when he anchors, there's way too many mistakes. You don't have to be perfect but sometimes it's a car wreck. Great guy though and is very funny.

Rob DeMello: If I had to choose, probably my favorite. He's so entusiastic about sports, Packs in a lot of stuff in his broadcast and does more local stories than anybody else. Plus, always does stories that make you smile.

Robert Kekaula: The King of SPorts, but I can't understand a word he says. He mumbles and doesn't look like he cares.

Steve Uyehara: He's good too. He's gotten better and better. He'll probably be a main guy somehwere.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
                      This is one of the great things about HT - we don't have to be serious all the time.

Bcliqout, welcome to HT. If you want serious discussion about media matters start a thread or pick up on one of the existing threads that address such things as dual ownership, etc. etc. Personally, I spend enough time dealing with serious problems and I enjoy the light hearted banter.
                      Ouch! I stand corrected, we could use more brevity in our lives. I'll just
                      have to bow out when the discussion turns toward hair do's and don'ts.

Comment

It looks like women are much harder on women in news and guys harder on the guys.

Joe Moore: Respected, I agree, but getting boring in his old age. And we're getting sick of his commentary about the sale.

Jai Cunningham: Pretty good good. Funny. Up and comer?

Kim G: I agree... her hair is not becoming and she often looks tired.

Paula Akana: I never noticed she looks at her co-anchor too much. If so, so what? She's good enough.

Shawn Ching: I disagree. He has tons of personality.

Jodi Leong: I disagree --- I think she is professional and a lady. She is bubby and energetic. Never thought it was nervous energy.

Howard Dashefsky: Good guy but has gotten stale at KHNL.

Shima: She makes too many mistakes and her nasal voice irritates me. We also notice she's gained quite a bit of weight lately.

Tannya: Perfect for the morning show with that smile.

Mahealani Richardson: She's gotten looser and better since Dan M. joined her on the morning show.

Ben G: Nice voice, but he knows it and it's irritating.

Comment

• Diane Ako

Originally posted by Kawika
                          Shout out to Diane Ako, the only woman who can still look and act like a girl anchor, lots of subdued fun. I wish she would come out of her shell and just GO GIRL. Cool thing about her is that she is a Kam grad, but doesn't think she's all that. And she married this haole guy who is totally nice and cool, and she's like, that's right, I married a haole guy, so what's up, boyz....And also because she has the heart of a journalist, even though she's up there and having to primp and pose.....inside, she wants to bust out. So I hope she does. Because she's a good writer and a smart chick who went to some private school in Menlo, CA and came back home and, once again, doesn't think she's all THAT.
                          I agree!

Last week my friends saw her at Fusions and say that, boy was she ever "busting out" as you say. She is not buttoned-down after hours AT ALL. I don't go to the gay bars since I'm straight, but I think I"ll make exceptions from now on if someone gives me the 411 that Diane is out. Wild thing!

This is comming 3rd hand as my friends were talking to her friends, but apparently at KHNL her managers are coming down on her for wearing too reveeling clothing? If this is true, we should write in our support. I for one tune in for her style.

Comment

• the List

I see everyone has a list so here's mine:

Tannya: Very bubby, looks good, seems so friendly. Great for mornings.
                            Gina Mangerie: Nice face, sounds smart in her reports. I'd like to see her anchoring, she seems like she would be a draw for viewers.

Stacy Loe: Professional, classy.

Steph Lum: pretty, but sometimes doesn't come off smart. To give her the benefit of the doubt I'm sure its a much harder job to be on live tv than any of them make it seem, maybe what appears to be dumb is just nerves.

Keahi Tucker: my girlfriend likes to watch him. I have to agree he is handsome and comes off very mainland. He is the best male main newscaster right now.

Paula Akana: I think the best main woman anchor on current airwaves. Personable, humble, credible, seems nice. Doesn't really match Shawn Ching, that's no slam against him. He's good but the two doesn't seem to have chemistry together, you know? That doesn't mean she matches Keahi either...

Howard and Sharie: Same for no chemistry. No slam on Sharie but I have watched Dash with Diane Ako and they are much better together.

Paul Drewes and Diane: a funny, well matched pair. What was Diane laughing about on Saturday??

Comment

• Re: the List

Originally posted by Brad
                              Paula Akana: I think the best main woman anchor on current airwaves. Personable, humble, credible, seems nice.
                              I'd say that Paula Akana and Leslie Wilcox are tied for best female anchor, as Leslie has the same qualities you list for Paula.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I like Ron and Leslie. What every happened to Kirk Fernandez? His stories were kinda memorable but weird.

Comment

Working...
                                X