X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron and Leslie

Originally posted by zeepzeep
    I like Ron and Leslie. What every happened to Kirk Fernandez? His stories were kinda memorable but weird.
    You're right they're great too.

As far as nightly news anchors go for the women, I still prefer Paula, but its just personal preference. I agree Leslie does a great job and has all the same qualities that make someone worth tuning in for.

Comment

• Re: Hawaii TV News Anchors and Reporters

Originally posted by bcliquot
      We're talking about news journalists like we're casting some daytime soap.
      This is actually the reason I have stayed silent on these David Letterman-style lists, but at this point, I can no longer resist the temptation.

Best Male Anchor: Tie between Keahi Tucker and Jim Mendoza. KGMB seems to have a lock on training the best male talent. Consider: Larry Beil, ESPN, came from KGMB. Neil Everett, ESPN, came from KGMB. And the so-called #1 Hawai‘i anchor Joe Moore? You guessed it. Started out at KGMB.

Worst Male Anchor: Howard Dashefsky (though Jai Cunningham is a close second). Here is a man who cannot pronounce the name of our state’s capitol city properly. Ho-no-LEW-LEW? (Rhymes with a kitty-cat’s mew-mew) What the heck is that? It’s Ho-no-LOO-LOO, Howard. Get it straight! Totally makes him lose all credibility, the most important asset of any media professional.

Best Female Anchor: Leslie Wilcox. Comes off as sweet, caring, intelligent, well-spoken and a terrific storyteller to boot. Kim Gennaula is a really close second, but when was the last time she did a story of her own? I imagine she’d be a bit rusty if KGMB suddenly sent her out to cover a hard news story. And lately, as someone noted earlier, she’s come off as tired (bags under the eyes, making mistakes). I would pick Paula when she was in her prime, but for several years now, she has come off as sad and forlorn. Maybe it’s just the chemistry point that someone made earlier.

Worst Female Anchor: I didn’t want to pick Stephanie Lum. I have met her, and she is a nice person. Unfortunately, she has made more factual mistakes than all other female anchors currently on the air combined, as far as I can tell. I think someone else noted how she comes off as kind of “ditsy.” Has better cadence and rhythm than veteran Tina Shelton, but Tina has major-league credibility. But yes, she is young, and will get better with time.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

• Jodi Leong Back on TV

Did any one else catch Jodi Leong on KITV4?

Comment

Keahi is very smooth but he and Kim have the same problem that Paula and Shawn have: no chemistry.

My personal opinion is that KGMB should hire Tasha Kobashigawa and sit her down with Keahi. That would be a nice mix as both are good reporters and come across professionally on-air besides being a good draw for male and female audiences. The only drawback would be that they might look too young for some to take seriously (though both are in their mid 30's or close to it by now). Of course, they could have no chemistry also but it might work.

And i think paula had better chemistry with dash. it was a good combo, the local girl and the former uh athlete on the set together. though shawn is also a former uh athlete it just doesn't work the same way with them. i think shawn should solo anchor actually and just make banter with the weather and sports anchors. people were touting him as the next joe moore anyway so let him stand alone and see how he does.

going back to kgmb, i think they've almost got it right over there. the overall writing for the newscast is great but their anchor combo still needs some tweaking. maybe keahi and stacy loe.

Comment

After more than 210 messages and 21,000 views, this thread is being rolled to a new one: http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=7973

Carry on!
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
            X