short story on HT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• short story on HT

hi tanya, first of all, thanks for sharing your thoughts with us on ht. it's always nice to hear comments from people in the business. second, just a simple idea, but if you guys ever need to fill a minute or two, it'd be cool to watch a short story on hawaiithreads with maybe the administrator or moderators answering your questions. i think it's safe to say that there are a lot of people who don't know about ht and would enjoy reading/posting if they knew it existed.

just an idea. thanks again for giving us your perspective on things.
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: short story on HT

Thanks for the suggestion. I think it's a great idea. After all, we did a story about myspace.com recently.

Comment

How would one do a TV news piece about HawaiiThreads? It seems to me that TV is all about audio and moving video. HT, like most web forums, has no audio and only static visuals or text and sometimes some photos or graphics. Not very interesting to look at on the TV screen.

Comment

Well, they've done several website stories before, such as the MySpace.com piece and even one on sister site HawaiiStories.com. Computer screens aren't particularly compelling television, but there are ways to make them visually appealing.

I think lots of other projects out there are more deserving of their 15 minutes (or 90 seconds), though.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
          How would one do a TV news piece about HawaiiThreads? It seems to me that TV is all about audio and moving video. HT, like most web forums, has no audio and only static visuals or text and sometimes some photos or graphics. Not very interesting to look at on the TV screen.
          It would actually be easy considering some of the more colorful personalities here. HT is people driven. People make good stories. So do chiclets!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Computer screens aren't particularly compelling television,
            yea. remember the sandra bullock insomnia remedy called 'the net' a while back?

the most exciting moments were when she yelled:
            Gothcha!
            at the screen.

or when hugh jackman in Swordfish had to hack thru tons of hitek firewalls; they hadda create this goofy multiscreen system with alotta ram intensive multimedia grphics to show he is physically making something happen thru the computer. and even then, he had to get up and swing around and type behind his back and jump up and down and...
            still didn't do well at the boxoffice...
            Last edited by kimo55; October 6, 2005, 02:03 PM.

Comment

I'd be concerned that airing a story about HT would flood us with waaaay too many new people all at once. It's busy enough already that it's hard to keep up with all the new posts and threads, but add another ton of people and it might do more harm than good.
              HT already gets the occasional media mention (wave to John Heckathorn), so rather than see a piece about HT I'd suggest to Tannya that a piece on our host himself would be better than a piece about HT.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tannya Joaquin
                Thanks for the suggestion. I think it's a great idea. After all, we did a story about myspace.com recently.
                Thanks too for the Craigslist.com story you did where you covered a martini party I threw. Got a lot of interest in my group TNO and resulting new members through that.

Comment

hmmm. if a story were done on ht, i never thought it would in any way focus on what the site looks like on a screen (that would be pretty odd); as tutusue said, ht is fundamentally about a community of people and that's what makes it interesting. also, that's why i suggested that it might involve the administrator or moderator(s). on the other hand, i hadn't thought of likanui's understandable concern that a story on ht might result in a flood of new posters and be somewhat overwhelming.

in either case, i'm sure the people who run ht won't let a story run unless they think it'll be beneficial to all and so i just posted the idea.
                  525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                    I'd be concerned that airing a story about HT would flood us with waaaay too many new people all at once.[...].
                    My experience with that is...it's a possibility; maybe even a probability. Most, however, will just wanna visit and not wanna live here. IMO, the worry isn't so much in the # of new people; rather the # of trolls who would get vicarious thrills out of negative postings. Red chiclets would be flying! Ryan would have to go into full 'BANNED' mode!

Comment

Good points. We sometimes feature people, places, sites of interest on the morning news. That's a possibility, but you do then run the risk of getting a lot of traffic. Thoughts?

Comment

I say, the more the merrier. The casual curious might stop by and generate a little extra traffic, but if they're not suited to HT then they'll move on, and if they are then we've picked up some interesting new people. I mua.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                          I say, the more the merrier. The casual curious might stop by and generate a little extra traffic, but if they're not suited to HT then they'll move on, and if they are then we've picked up some interesting new people. I mua.
                          I agree with you, Glen. An onslaught of additional traffic might be more problematic for Ryan and the moderators, tho', so they should have the ultimate say. But, like any other cyber community, it tends to weed itself out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tannya Joaquin
                            That's a possibility, but you do then run the risk of getting a lot of traffic. Thoughts?
                            no prob, Bob. We then put in litetype rail.
                            Two tier level discussion board.
                            Stagger the posting times according to residence locale and/or seniority, and/or modem/connection speed.
                            Put a toll in. automatic paypal deduction of .02 per each post.
                            THEN they can really say:
                            "Just my 2 cents worth"...
                            Last edited by kimo55; October 7, 2005, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X