"Lost" Season 2 Chapter 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "Lost" Season 2 Chapter 2

The re-run shuffle has long been a complaint of fans, so next season will give us two (not even three, as previously suspected) continuous chunks of several new episodes, separated by a several-week break. Other ABC shows and even other networks are doing this, so hopefully it won't be too hard to adjust to. Long, all-new ride, "we'll see you next year," and long, all-new ride to the end.

As for losing viewers to "American Idol," I'm sure that's a major factor. But even I would've gambled against Idol. (Good thing I'm not a TV programmer.) I was convinced "Idol" was overexposed (as they were pulling a "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire" and spreading it across several days a week), but, I guess its fans are more loyal than I thought.

For those of us who are sick of "Idol," or just aren't into talent competitions, at least "Lost" is the obvious alternate pick.

Personally, I think moving nights is almost always bad for a show. The chase for ratings leads to some pretty awful decisions. We'll see if the highly-debated move of "Grey's Anatomy" (pitting it against "CSI") to Thursday will help or hurt that show, for example.

I'm glad "LOST" has been consistent on Wednesdays. The move to 9 p.m. (only 8 p.m. here), though again a rough one given "Idol," was explained as wanting to include more adult elements in the show -- which from a creative standpoint I can see. As a fan, it made me wonder about the balance between genuine adult elements or simple titillation. Even without the gratuitous sexual elements, though, I do think "LOST" has only been able to take the genuine darker turn that it has by being positioned later in the evening.

"LOST" isn't top of the heap anymore, but it's hardly a fallen star. Its success outside the television channel (online, DVDs, etc.) has been a remarkable one, versus any show. I just hope it ages gracefully -- I, too, figure five seasons tops, probably four.
    Last edited by pzarquon; May 20, 2006, 07:27 AM.

Comment

On "LOST" filming locations...

I've been thinking on concentrating on missed locations over the otherwise unbearable summer hiatus. Another "LOST" location hunter and I, for example, have been stymied by the many hospital interiors used in the show. Which is which?

In going back to "Born to Run," the third to the last episode of Season 1, I realized I could also go to Pearlridge and grab photos of the parking garage where Kate got her boyfriend killed and the canal where she fled on foot. But when I looked at the screencapture, I noticed two camera crews in the frame!

I went back to the DVD and stepped through the big dramatic crash sequence, and actually saw three camera crews through the windshield.

Unusually sloppy for "LOST," especially given the freeze-frame obsession of its fans. (Most camera goofs on the show are due to the wide aspect of HD shooting versus the standard TV aspect ratio.) But I guess for a scene like that, they wanted as many angles as possible, given that they could probably only do it once.

Comment

Is Ryan the "renegade devotee" mentioned in this article in today's Star-Bulletin?!:

"Even with such concerted efforts, keeping secrets has proved difficult. In addition to the constant flurry of gossip and spoilers on fan Web sites, one renegade devotee travels all over Oahu and posts photographs on the Internet of every "Lost" set on the island. His latest discovery was a temporary set along the Ka Iwi coastline. It included doors built into the hillside with the Dharma Initiative logo emblazoned on the front, and yurts that appeared to represent the camp of "The Others."

And this might answer some 'location' questions:

"The series has made exceptional use of unexpected corners of Oahu. These include scenes at an old church in England (St. Andrew's Priory), a library in Jack's childhood home (the Pacific Club), Sawyer at Sydney Harbor with the iconic Opera House in the background (Ala Wai Harbor with a digitally imposed Sydney skyline), an airport in Australia (the Hawai'i Convention Center), a morgue (the Convention Center kitchen), a bunker in an Iraqi war camp (Diamond Head crater), Buffalo, N.Y., on a snowy day (a downtown street in Chinatown covered with manufactured snow), Korea (Valley of the Temples) and Bernard and Rose at Niagara Falls (Michel's restaurant with a digital view of the famous waterfall replacing Kaimana Beach)."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Whoever that renegade devotee is, I'd like to meet him or her! Sounds like that person's totally obsessed.

For what it's worth, I generally document locations only after seeing them in the show. I can think of only a couple of times I got ahead of 'em (Ana Lucia's first flashback, and Makapu'u). And generally, the only people "spoiled" are those that go looking for 'em!

It was good to get a couple of new location details, though. The Convention Center Kitchen? Cool. Someone only this week sent me The Pacific Club and I hadn't yet been able to confirm -- I guess this counts. And Michel's? Y'all remember trying to sort that one out!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            And Michel's? Y'all remember trying to sort that one out!
            Dear, dear renegade devotee:

As for Michel's I might be able to help you there. I could snail mail you a letter of assignment asking that you contact them, secure a copy of their current menu and updated photos, for our dining guide at gohawaii.about.com. After all, we are a New York Times Company, and I've found that gets me into almost anywhere.

John

Comment

Renegate Devotee for hire, eh?

Actually, I don't usually have a problem going right in and asking. That's how I got photos inside the First Hawaiian Bank branch in Chinatown. Being up front usually works. They'll think you're a dork, but they'll humor you if they can.

My attempt to sneak up to the Makapu'u set almost went disastrously wrong... and it turned out I could just walk right in. And as I've noted, if I'm warned away, I generally comply. My reputation as a "renegade" is somewhat overstated!

But as I've built up my 'to do' list of various locales, I've happily been directed by specific inquiries from other fans... might as well get something someone else wants to see. (I'd never gone looking for the fuselage until someone asked a couple weeks ago whether it was still there.) So if you've got a wish list, send it along. I'll try and get it, for as long as dear Kilinahe is willing to humor this admittedly obsessive hobby.

Comment

Don't know if this counts as a locale, but there is the lot in Iwilei where all the actor's trailers and various vehicles from the show are kept. Right across the street from the brand new apartment building on the corner of King & Iwilei.

Comment

Whoever that renegade devotee is, I'd like to meet him or her! Sounds like that person's totally obsessed.
                  Hahaha...I remember reading that the other day. I wonder who he could be?
                  Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                  We're not here to mess around
                  Boston, you know we love you madly
                  Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                  Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                  You know we couldn't live without you
                  Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Something been bugging me about Lost and the flight manifest.

1) Wouldn't the flight manifest be in or close to the cockpit and not in the middle of the plane where Sawyer found it?

2) Since Hurley boarded the flight really late like almost at the time the plane door closed, wouldn't his name not be on the list or penciled in?

Comment

A really interesting episode in very many ways. Some questions got answered and then even more questions get generated.

Flashback based on a guest character which crosses path with Jack, and another character from Sayid's past.

From this episode it mentions that Oceanic 815 crashed on September 22, 2004 and it's been at least 64 days since the crash, so roughly in their timeline it is around late November or early December 2004.

My two cents about the crash of Oceanic 815:

I don't think Desmond's system failure directly caused the crash, more than likey it caused the radio failure that the flight suffered that caused it to turn back and some other force caused the plane to come apart in three sections.

Comment

One thing about this episode... there were a lot more commercials during the first hour and 20 minutes than there usually are. And another new website mentioned in one of the spots: http://hansocareers.com/

I'll leave the rest of the experts to speculate on this season ending episode. Good thing I taped it, though I may just opt to watch it at the ABC site if there are less commercials there.

So, for those location spotters, perhaps you folks can add the following pictures to your capture list:

The "boat" (shown last week) and the "other boat" that The Others took Walt away in. Where are these vessels docked?

Lastly, perhaps rather funny to me... the ending reminded me of Mr. Roarke's (Malcolm McDowell) place where he greeted visitors to the short lived ABC TV revival series of Fantasy Island... so maybe the whole thing is just some nasty fantasy!
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Wow. I'm going to have to watch that again.

Kilinahe and I blog bits and pieces here. A strong finish, with a whole new world of possibilities for Season Three.

Locations? Honolulu Cafe was the coffee shop, of course. Was that OCC? And the Pala Ferry pier looked like that odd seaplane pier off Lagoon Drive, merged into a shot of the fish ponds by Mokuleia. That arctic monitoring station could have been anywhere...
                          Last edited by pzarquon; May 24, 2006, 11:12 PM.

Comment

That arctic monitoring station could have been anywhere...
                            Could this be a prelude to the series relocating or splitting????? (speculative)
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Wow. I'm going to have to watch that again.
                              Same here at some point later on this week.
                              That arctic monitoring station could have been anywhere...
                              Like Antarctica?

Comment

And the Pala Ferry pier looked like that odd seaplane pier off Lagoon Drive, merged into a shot of the fish ponds by Mokuleia.
                                The pier is the Waikane Pier over near Chinaman's Hat. You can see it from the highway. I even tried to get down there last year, but couldn't find the road. They used this pier in the latest TV version of Fantasy Island and then in 50 First Dates also. Here's a brief story about the pier and photo:

http://hotspotshawaii.com/mac5alias/...y/embed77.html

You can actually see Chinaman's Hat off to the left.

John

Comment

Working...
                                X