Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "Lost" Season 2 Chapter 2

Originally posted by fisch1
    The pier is the Waikane Pier over near Chinaman's Hat. You can see it from the highway. I even tried to get down there last year, but couldn't find the road. They used this pier in the latest TV version of Fantasy Island and then in 50 First Dates also.
    I also remember the pier being in Godzilla (1998).

Comment

Originally posted by mel
      The "boat" (shown last week) and the "other boat" that The Others took Walt away in. Where are these vessels docked?
      I'm pretty sure that the powerboat is in Haleiwa and the sailboat is from Ko Olina, but I'll double-check that with my friend who's on the crew.

Lastly, perhaps rather funny to me... the ending reminded me of Mr. Roarke's (Malcolm McDowell) place where he greeted visitors to the short lived ABC TV revival series of Fantasy Island
      The earlier reply is correct -- that dock is near Chinaman's Hat in Kaneohe Bay, near Kualoa Beach Park. Actually, nearer to the big macadamia nut outlet before you get to KBP. You can park there and walk down to the dock. (waves at the photo-taking 'renegade')

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification! That pier is definitely a place to check out this summer. I already got Honolulu Cafe when they were filming that flashback scene. Aloha Stadium is a repeat location. Wonder how the folks at OCC will react to a dork wandering around outside with a camera?

As my comment that the monitoring station being anywhere, I was referring more to the filming location. Probably a corner of the Diamond Head lot. I'm not expecting I'll be able to get a shot of that!

As for where the station is located within the "LOST" story, my guess is the antarctic, somewhere south of Africa. There've been hints (outside the show) that the Hanso Foundation has interests over there.

What that scene (and Penny's call) really represents, though, is the first glimpse of real-time life off the island. The rest of the world is, as Desmond quipped, still out there. This opens up a huge new world for the stories that can be told in future seasons. Perhaps Season Three will show us both the developments on the island, and what's going on outside, in Penny's search for the island.

Since they've also split Jack, Kate and Sawyer from the rest of the survivors, though, Season Three will already have at least a parallel structure going in (much like we had with the Tailies and Fusies this season). It makes things interesting, but complicates things somewhat... and I'm sure fans of "the original recipe" of characters will be somewhat miffed to hear that, once again, we're going to meet new people rather than learn more about the folks we fell in love (or hate) with first.

The question is, I guess, have the character and flashback possibilities essentially been exhausted with our "main" survivors. I don't think so (Locke's paralysis being among the biggest holes), but if the creators do, it can't bode well for the actors! If they thought the arrival of the Tailies pushed them into the margins, now they've got the Others and the outside world to contend with.
        Last edited by pzarquon; May 25, 2006, 10:46 AM. Reason: Antarctic, not arctic. Thanks, Link!

Comment

pzarquon,

What do you make of that weird brown colored curvy layed rock formation that Desmond was hiking across when he was following Kelvin or actually when Kelvin was following him. I've never seen rocks that look like that anywhere on Oahu...and where was that cove where the sailboat was anchored?

Comment

At first I thought those striped, reddish rock formations were out around Makapuu along with everything else... or at one of the many other rocky shorelines on Oahu that we've already seen in "LOST." But there seemed to be a lot more of it than I'd have expected. Maybe some clever CGI replication?

As for the cove, it looks like the small cove on the other side of the rock formation into which the false DHARMA door was built. I took a photo when I was out there but didn't include it in the set I posted online (I should have guessed they'd make use of it -- it looked like it'd make a great backdrop).

Comment

Random thoughts...had to edit le profanity.

The statue had four toes...everything on that island is surely Homer Simpson's fault. Reminds me of like, Greeky stuff...or is it Roman...whatever, let's say Greco-Roman. It mostly reminds me of that Ducktales episode where they go back in time and that emperor dude gets turned into a pig *no one knows what I'm talking about*. Still, that was really friggin' creepy to see it just...standing there.

Anyway, I got a kick out of Eko telling Locke "do not tell me what I can't do." And when he punched the crap out of Locke to push the button. I can't explain it but this button thing with Locke and Eko has kind of been pissing me off in the past 2 or 3 episodes. That just stems from me not being into the whole "this is my destiny" junk, at least not to the extent of believing that destiny = pushing a button. I can buy faith sometimes.

I'm just glad we found out what the hell was going on with the hatch, why the plane crashed, what happened with Desmond, etc. The island is its own Bermuda triangle. No wonder Desmond couldn't navigate away from it. I'm slightly disappointed that it was kinda/sorta just an accident on Desmond's part...but still, maybe it wasn't really an accident, judging by the damn people on board. But now we know, whatever's going on in that hatch with the button is real. And it's really possible that Locke and Eko (and Desmond, natch) are toast Charlie's okay because...well, Eko pretty much kicked him out to go back for Locke, right? Lots of my friends seem to be confused as to how Charlie is okay.

Widmore, Dharma, Hanso...christ, buncha weirdos, all those companies/people. The Others and those guys damn well better be explained by the end of the next season. I know they'll be the focus, at least. They don't seem at all worried about anything with the way they tossed around "real names" and just let Hurley go (they just brought his ass out there to tell him to go back and tell everyone else not to go after them...whatthehellever). Kelvin...there's GOT to be something more to that dude...he's the CIA agent guy that talked to Sayid, right? And Rousseau really needs to find Alex, poor lady -_- And Elibbybeth will apparently have her story told next season, too.

Penelope somehow knows how to find Desmond...she's got dudes (who apparently speak Portuguese according to CC) waiting for the next build up of electromagnetism...I kinda think her jerk dad had something to do with Desmond crashing there specifically, on an island that supposedly can't be found.. so that may be how she found out about Des...but then there's more to it and I don't wanna think anymore. But then, I wonder is Penelope is also "Persephone" from the Hanso website...?

Um, yeah, ya know, the monster... Better come up next season. And the bird! What was with that thing?? It cawed Hurley's named for sure...same bird thingy from the fisrt season? And I was somewhat disappointed that Walt pops up at the very end like "dad! okay let's just drive off now!" and that was it. "We got more than we bargained for"...okay? ...and?? They spend all this time making Michael (you @#&$) bitch about Walt being gone and then nothing actually happens, they just find him and that's it. Michael, the bastard that he is, gets to leave like nothing only because "u can't touch dis island *$^#." I really wished his boat would've blown up as he drove off.

Oh yes, and the white light and crazy noiz. Scared the craaaap out of me. I can't wait for some sciency nerd to theorize on that. It was a Silent Hill Cybil "WTF!" moment for me when that happened. And he reaction of The Others...unsettling...they didn't seem to give a crap! But now they're going home...oh boy. Cannot wait to find out their agenda. Henry the leader for the win..

It'll be a long ass wait 'til the new season...but they seem to be promising way, way, way less breaks so good.
              myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

What do you make of that weird brown colored curvy layed rock formation that Desmond was hiking across when he was following Kelvin or actually when Kelvin was following him. I've never seen rocks that look like that anywhere on Oahu
                Actually, that's a real easy one. It's an area in Portlock right above the Spitting Cave. No trickery was required.
                I used to go there a lot, to sit there looking west across Maunalua Bay and watch the sunset.
                It's a tricky place to find. You have to go clear to the end of one of the roads in Portlock, and there's a very small trail that leads down to that area. If there are any renegade photographers who want to shoot the site, I'll give you more specific driving directions.

Comment

I was on the East Coast when the LOST finale aired, and nowhere near a TV so I had to wait to just now until I got back to the West Coast to watch it. (I love you, TiVo!) I suppose there are worse fates, like living in Kalama Valley.

But now that I've seen it:

When Sun was on the sailboat, did you catch Rabbit Island in the background too?

The four-toed foot was, uh... out of left field. Too bad Sun is Korean, not Japanese, or else she could have said, "Aw, gee... no mo' toe!"

And don't anybody worry about Jack, Kate & Sawyer. Did you see those knowing glances that they exchanged before being hooded? The same looks that Luke gave Lando, Chewie and Leia before Jabba tried to feed them to Sarlaac at the Pit of Carkoon. Any moment now R2 will throw a lightsaber to Jack and Henry will get eaten by Zeke.

Or something.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                    Actually, that's a real easy one. It's an area in Portlock right above the Spitting Cave. No trickery was required.
                    I used to go there a lot, to sit there looking west across Maunalua Bay and watch the sunset.
                    It's a tricky place to find. You have to go clear to the end of one of the roads in Portlock, and there's a very small trail that leads down to that area. If there are any renegade photographers who want to shoot the site, I'll give you more specific driving directions.
                    Boy you've got me there. I spend a week or two on Oahu every year and I've been all over the island, but I have never heard of any of these place names: Portlock, Spitting Cave, Maunalua Bay? OK I kinda know that Maunalua Bay is over near Hawaii Kai, but the others?

Just googled portlock and spitting caves. There are very few photos but the few I saw seem to verify this location. The type of rock formations look right and so does the color. Great find.
                    Last edited by fisch1; May 25, 2006, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Portlock is a somewhat exclusive community in East Honolulu, pretty much the last sliver of residences prior to Hanauma Bay. I've PM'ed Lika for specific directions to the rocky area!

Also... there's a good article on the "LOST" Season Two finale, and the thinking behind it, over at the New York Times:

Dickens, Challah and That Mysterious Island
                      Beyond serving as a teaser, the finale's last minutes were incredibly important to the larger story, Mr. Lindelof said, particularly since this was the first time in 49 hours of the show that "Lost" went off the island in the present, rather than in a flashback. "It's time to actually blow up several theories of the show," he said. "People who believe that they're in purgatory or that they're subjects of an experiment are going to start reassessing those theories based on the fact that we are literally showing you the outside world."
                      The piece includes notes on "LOST" ratings struggles, and what fans taught the creators after the agonizing Season One finale.

Kupomog, if you don't have a "LOST" blog, you should start one.

Finally... Paul! Without spoiling too much, I have to say I find it remarkable that you also drew a parallel about "that look" to Star Wars, as my wife did the same... but she picked up an entirely different context!

Comment

pzarquon,

So, I guess the big question is are you going to get yourself arrested so that you can get inside the Correctional Facility?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                          Also... there's a good article on the "LOST" Season Two finale, and the thinking behind it, over at the New York Times:

Dickens, Challah and That Mysterious IslandThe piece includes notes on "LOST" ratings struggles, and what fans taught the creators after the agonizing Season One finale.
                          Their the folks that sign my paycheck, i.e. The New York Times. Good to see the newspaper side of the company doing a LOST feature.

Comment

I posted my grumbles and grouses (and questions) at my place, if anyone's interested.
                            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon

Dickens, Challah and That Mysterious IslandThe piece includes notes on "LOST" ratings struggles, and what fans taught the creators after the agonizing Season One finale.
                              They're the folks that sign my paycheck, i.e. The New York Times. Good to see the newspaper side of the company doing a LOST feature.

hmm, tried to edit to fix a spelling and it came up new again.

Comment

I spend a week or two on Oahu every year and I've been all over the island, but I have never heard of any of these place names: Portlock, Spitting Cave, Maunalua Bay?
                                A "week or two every year" is nowhere near enough time to discover all the hidden places on the island. You've gotta drive down every side road and back road and dirt road and no-road-at-all and you'll find tons of amazing sights and places the tourists -- and even a lot of locals -- never know about.
                                I had thought about giving the exact directions here, but I'm one of those people who hates the tourist guidebooks that give away all the secret places (and especially those that encourage tourists to ignore the Private Property signs). So I'm going to respond to Ryan's private message and give him the exact spot. Others of you are welcome to PM me for it too, but I'm gonna be real selective about who gets the answer, for the reasons noted here. Hope you understand.
                                Anyway, Portlock is the oceanfront neighborhood on the Diamond Head side of Koko Head, makai of Hawaii Kai. Home of the famous Kaiser Estate, now broken up into three properties.
                                Maunalua Bay is between Koko Head and Diamond Head. (It's the bay from which the band "Maunalua" got their name. They were performing at Roy's Restaurant in Hawaii Kai and the group didn't have a name, but when someone asked for the name they looked out at the bay and said "Maunalua".)

Just googled portlock and spitting caves. There are very few photos but the few I saw seem to verify this location. The type of rock formations look right and so does the color. Great find.
                                Explore, explore, and explore some more!
                                Here are two photos: http://community.webshots.com/photo/...28702361cSDtuW
                                and
                                http://www.jeffshih.com/gallery2/v/H..._0164.jpg.html
                                They're okay, but they don't really show the large shelf area from the Lost episode and instead focus more on the cave.
                                And of course we'll all look forward to Ryan's photos!
                                Last edited by LikaNui; May 25, 2006, 02:22 PM. Reason: added links to photos

Comment

Working...
                                X