"Lost" Season 2 Chapter 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "Lost" Season 2 Chapter 2

Something else that dawned on me. Desmond's boat. It was anchored just off-shore from the island in a cove. And for the 3 years it was there only Kelvin knew it was there. I am surprised that neither Rousseau or the Others encountered the boat.

Comment

A simple explanation would be severe currents in the waters which return vessels to the Island. Perhaps only a particular heading will clear the currents. That does not explain however the assurance that Michael and Walt would be rescued unless there are people further out waiting for them. Does rescued mean sent back to civilization or does it mean simply rescued from the ocean?

Comment

I love Danielle Rousseau (Mira Furlan). I was sure she'd at least make a cameo in the finale. As it stands, the point Helen makes is part of what makes her one of the biggest mysteries (rather than, one hopes, one of the biggest plot holes) of "LOST."

We know now that Kelvin has been working on a boat in periodic expeditions, and apparently not hiding it well. We know that the DHARMA camp was on shore, out in the open. We have a pier, and a giant foot, and all sorts of other major landmarks. And of course we have the many, many hatches.

It seems quite unlikely that, even given her mental state, Rosseau would not have encountered most of these things as she wandered the island. Yet, she was definitely surprised by the existence of the medical hatch, and otherwise comes across as someone who is only well acquainted with a small portion of the island.

Is she so intimidated by these Others that she really doesn't venture into The Dark Territory, or frankly, any other territories? Maybe. But on the other hand she clearly knows more than she lets on, including her insistence that Henry Gale is an Other, and that he will lie, lie, and lie some more. Does she also know the Others caveman-esque ways are an act? She seemed genuinely afraid.

Desmond's island flashback was an eye opener, and I can only hope Rosseau's story will be as well. Perhaps she's a hapless pawn. Or perhaps she's been in on it -- whatever "it" is -- from the very beginning?

Comment

I can just see/hear the producers saying "Hey! Let's put a 20-foot tall stone foot on the island! It'll drive people crazy trying to figure out whether this is a remnant of the Colossus of Rhodes or an Easter Island moai!"
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

The last official "LOST" podcast for this season (available here) has a satisfying chunk of practical background on the making of the show and the overall plan.

From the seemingly random appearance of the foot in the finale, to some of the questions fans have always had about unclear character motivations, Damon Lindeloff and Carlton Cuse -- between uncontrollable fits of joking around -- speak frankly and kind of reassure me that we're not being taken for a ride. At least, not entirely.

Basically, the realities of making prime-time TV make for some tough choices and frequent missteps, but these guys have a good head on their shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              Basically, the realities of making prime-time TV make for some tough choices and frequent missteps, but these guys have a good head on their shoulders.
              One head for two guys? What is this, the Sci-Fi channel?
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                One head for two guys? What is this, the Sci-Fi channel?
                Now I'm remembering the three Gorgon sisters who had to share just one eye among them, from Clash of the Titans. Ray Harryhausen stop-motion. Harry Hamlin in Greek togs.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                  I can just see/hear the producers saying "Hey! Let's put a 20-foot tall stone foot on the island! It'll drive people crazy trying to figure out whether this is a remnant of the Colossus of Rhodes or an Easter Island moai!"

I got a better idea! Put up a mock frontage of a WalMart that was mysteriously destroyed and lots of Kmart bags floating around. That'll really drive people crazy
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

So... any 'renegades' go take location photos this past weekend or what?!?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                      So... any 'renegades' go take location photos this past weekend or what?!?
                      Thought about it, but decided to live it up with the family instead. Saw a movie and played with the kids, then took the wife to the lantern festival. I'm off this week and next, and though I doubt I'll really be able to stay away from the office, there should be some time to go on a few photo scavenger hunts.

I really want to hit the Waikane Pier, but haven't been able to confirm I can get out there. Still, there's always the Portlock cliffs and the 'Āpua Fishpond at Kualoa (and maybe even the nose of the plane, reportedly near He'eia), and a handful of other 'to do' spots.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                        Thought about it, but decided to live it up with the family instead.
                        A most excellent decision.

(and maybe even the nose of the plane, reportedly near He'eia)
                        Nothing "reportedly" about it. It's in the corner of a storage yard directly across from the entrance to He`eia Kea Small Boat Harbor. But it's covered with a big tarp, so may not be much of a photo op for you.

Comment

LOST action figures?! Yep. I just found it in a Star-Bulletin article here.

"Regardless of who is killed next on "Lost," six of the original cast are achieving immortality: McFarlane Toys is creating action figures in the forms of characters Jack, Kate, Hurley, Locke, Charlie and Shannon.
                          "The 6-inch-tall collectibles will come with a detailed base, a photographic backdrop representing a specific episode and a prop reproduction central to that character's history. The term "action figure" is relative; they'll have "limited articulation," meaning the limbs will move, but not much. They will, however, talk."

Read the full story at the link above.

Comment

Ah, yes, the figurines. (They're more Hummel than G.I. Joe, IMHO.) The company actually sponsored nearly every established "LOST" fan podcast over the last couple of weeks, so I heard lots about them. The only model they have a photo of is Charlie. Get all 12 for $140.

Comment

Well, I had a moderately successful "LOST" tour a couple of days ago... the ever patient Kilinahe and our youngest accompanying me on a drive 'round the east side of O'ahu...

I got to the cliffs at Portlock that LikaNui spotted, but either I didn't go 'round far enough or it's not exactly where Desmond's scene was filmed. It's clear from the geology that I was in the neighborhood, at least, and it is a gorgeous area.

I got some distant shots of the Waikane Pier from both sides, but I'm waiting to hear back from the film office and/or city as to whether I can actually visit it to see it the way it appeared on the show.

I found the nose of the plane across from He'eia pier, but as LikaNui noted, it's hardly an inspiring sight.

I think I got a shot of `Apua Fishpond at Kualoa Regional Park, but if it was the right pond, it doesn't look quite like the scene in the show (I would have had to go into restricted property to get Mokolii in the background). Either that or I missed it entirely.

And I took some photos of the Laie Inn, which played a motel last season where Kate was hiding out (they digitally inserted that corn field).

'Twas a pleasant, scenic drive up that coast, through Kaaawa and Hauula and past the Turtle Bay and Haleiwa. Almost missed a teacher conference here in Mililani, though, as I underestimated just how long it took to get from Kualoa back home.

ETA: By the way... anyone know which prison this is? It's not OCC in town, or if it is, the scene was shot inside somewhere.

ETAA: Hmm. In checking the Department of Public Safety site, this page features a photo from inside the women's prison in Kailua that looks like the interior shot when Desmond was discharged... so maybe that's it. (Not that I plan to get that photo...) But it's a fair bet they made use of the exterior as well.
                              Last edited by pzarquon; June 3, 2006, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Was this posted before? Someone just sent me a link to a UK LOST promo that never made it to the air.

The Lost LOST Promo

I like it! But then again, I can see why the networks 86ed it since it has nothing to do with the show and might give the wrong impression to uninitiated viewers.

Comment

Working...
                                X