scrolling news headlines on local news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scrolling news headlines on local news

I just saw that KHNL News 8 has the scrolling news marque at the bottom of their newscast this morning.

1) What took them so long?
    2) That format is similar to KHON's version. KITV has the static version, where it shows about 2 or 3 lines and if its too long they repeat it on the next slide. Will KHON and KHNL have problems?

And if you didn't see it, I can post some pics from my camera. Its basically a scroll bar (like what you see on the national news) but it has KHNL (that nbc logo) and their station number that seperates the headlines. So far, I've only seen headlines, no weather info nor stock info or whatnot.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: scrolling news headlines on local news

I find scroll bars to be distractions on most TV newscasts. I generally don't like them as well as the network and station ID bugs that show constantly at the bottom of the screen except during commercials. Bring back the old days when the show you were watching was the only thing on the screen... no scrolling graphics, animated promo graphics, etc., etc.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I, too, find that scrolling ticker tape to be a major distraction. I'm sure there are many people who can watch and listen to a newscaster while reading the ticker tape. I'm not one of them. To me it's sensory overload!

Comment

My Manic/Bi-Polar Personality can not handle the darn thing! It makes my already pUpUple Brain go haywire moa!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

If it’s sports, I don’t mind running the “ticker tape” on the bottom of the screen. A lot of times, that’s the only way to get all the scores in the short period of time alloted to sports on local newscasts.

But scrolling headlines in the middle of a sizzling investigative story by Keoki Kerr, or a emotional inside look at kidney donation by Jim Mendoza, would be a travesty. Highly distracting and ultimately, cheapens the overall product.

It’s like saying, “ATTENTION! THIS STORY SUCKS SO HERE’S SOME ALTERNATIVE NEWS TO KEEP YOU ENTERTAINED.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

So, am I the only one who reads the tickers?

The only thing I find about it annoying, is that when I tune into the channel and see an interesting story but its almost done scrolling by.
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
              ....the “ticker tape” on the bottom of the screen. .
              It’s like saying, “ATTENTION! THIS STORY SUCKS SO HERE’S SOME ALTERNATIVE NEWS TO KEEP YOU ENTERTAINED.”
              or:

"in this age of short attention spans, multitasking and the need to employ all visual graphic gimmicks seen all over the place in the media, we are gonna do this too."

Comment

I agree with TuNnL about it's okay when it display game scores during the sports segments but it doesn't help with the local newscast.

Comment

Working...
                X