Hawaii News Company question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii News Company question

Anyone remember a production company a few years ago that specialized in archiving Hawaii newscasts by chance? I think Tim Tindall may have been involved in the company but am not sure. Let me know if you remember!

Thanks! KalihiBoy

Re: Hawaii News Company question

This was years ago, but I recall there were at least a couple of companies doing this. The TV stations would refer folks to them whenever someone would call asking for a copy of that one time that guy's tutu was doing the shaka, or when this company's new CEO was interviewed. I'm not sure if that's still the case, or if stations now sell copies directly. Anyone in PR here would know.

I was frequently tasked with collecting news clippings and TV news sements that mentioned the company I used to work for... and at the time, the TV side was still tape based. That someone's back room was basically home to four VCRs humming away, tapes swapped daily, always intrigued me.

I remember actually plotting how to get into the business myself, with just one cable connection, one PC tower, four video capture cards and one big hard drive. Voila, the last {x} days of all three network affilates broadcasts in digital format, ready to burn to DVD or copy to tape, in a system that runs itself. A few dozen clients and I was convinced it'd pay for itself, too. Never got beyond the sketch, though.

Comment

I think Dateline Media currently archives all the newscasts from all four stations. How far back they go, I do not know.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Ah, yes. KHON's own contact page directs people to Dateline Media (though they list a different e-mail address). No website but apparent membership in the IABM.

And here's a blurb on 'em from 2002: "Dateline Media Inc. has hired Paula Gillingham Bender as editor and Jaime Winpenny as a news abstractor . Both were previously free-lance writers. Dateline Media is a Hawaii-based broadcast news and Internet monitoring service and the Honolulu affiliate of News Data Service, a national news database." Now there's a couple of familiar names!

Comment

Served a sentence was more like it. teehee. And they spelled my buddy's name wrong!
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Hey thanks I appreciate the information I didnt think Dateline Media was still around, I wonder if they have changed business names though over the years.

I think they are located near the Honolulu Advertiser building?

KalihiBoy

Comment

South Street. They're in the book. Across from Servco Service and right by the new firestation.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
              X