X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oceanic Cable Programming Issues

I noticed on ch. 911 that, Encore (7 channels), TMC, Flix, Showtime, HGTV
    and inDemand2 HD are at risk to be removed. As TWC and the content owners
    have been unable to reach an carriage agreement extension.

I did some research and found this information. It looks like multiple content
    owners are involved ?

Liberty Media Corp - Encore (7 Channels)
    Scripps Networks - HGTV
    CBS Corp - TMC, Showtime,Flix
    In Demand Networks - Indemand2 HD
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: Oceanic Cable Programming Issues

Much written about Oceanic Cable in today's Buzz column by Erika Engle:

Cable Channel Warning About TV Shows No Cause for Panic

The article covers
    • Negotiations with Networks on Carriage
    • CW on Oceanic
    • KHON TV Digital
    • Fox Sports Digital
    • Oceanic Cable WiFi

Feel free to discuss in this thread and also the ones on CW in Hawaii and Oceanic at Circuit Circus. Funny how all these are cross covered here. Shows you how big a monopoly Oceanic have in the marketplace. They can't be covered in only one topic area.
    Last edited by mel; December 12, 2006, 06:53 AM. Reason: added links
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Mahalo Mel. I'd like to correct some misinformation I posted initially. As far as I understand InDemand2 HD is going to be removed nationwide in January 2007.It will be replaced by another channel.

Also thanks for posting that link. I was the one whom clued Erika in on the Showtime/Flix/Encore situation.
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
        Also thanks for posting that link. I was the one whom clued Erika in on the Showtime/Flix/Encore situation.
        I thought about you when I read this: "....and leaving at least one Big Island customer un-tuned in."

As the article points out, I don't think Showtime or any of the major cable networks will leave. It's just a game of big dollar chicken between the networks and Time/Warner. Whatever they negotiate, if it costs more I am sure we'll all pay more for this stuff down the line.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
          It's just a game of big dollar chicken between the networks and Time/Warner.
          Yup. Just like a union strike vote to put pressure on the negotiators.

Comment

I've been watching the new KHON HD channel (933) for the last couple of nights. I've yet to see any HD programming there though. So far, it's just been a digital feed of their SD programming. Erika's article did say they were only testing the channel. I hope they get around to testing an HD feed soon!

Even though it's still only SD on 933, I have noticed a significant improvement in the picture quality over what I get on the analog channel. Channel 003 has consistently been a mediocre picture in my house on both of my current cable boxes and on three other boxes that have come and gone over the last two years. So even though the HD channel isn't HD yet, it's still a welcome improvement. I hope they start transmitting HD by the time "24" debuts next month!
            No, I'm not the Larry Price, I just happen to have the same name.

Comment

KHON "currently" is only passing live HD from Fox, mainly sports(NFL). From what I understand, KHON needs to reconfigure a few things in-house to be able to offer primetime HD programming which needs to be delayed 1-2 hours for broadcast.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                I thought about you when I read this: "....and leaving at least one Big Island customer un-tuned in."
                Ding, ding, ding yup I had mentioned to her that the CW was not working on the day it was supposed to be launched. It didn't actually start until the following day.
                The Kona Blog

Comment

It looks like Time Warner has been able to reach an carriage extension for Encore,HGTV as Ch.911 has been updated to say that Showtime, TMC,Flix may be removed in the near future.
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                  X