X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii TV News Anchors and Reporters - Book 3

Originally posted by sin View Post
    Hawaii is too small of a market for prima donnas and I suspect any anchor that refuses to go gather the news in the field may not last long in honolulu.

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by scsdogg View Post
      This is surprising to me considering how many Hawaii athletes have participated in the winter games.
      I wonder if that ends up as a question on Jeopardy someday.
      Maybe 1992 numbers had something to do with the large local following of Kristi Yamaguchi. Granted Kristi is from California, but she is one of the first dominant Asian skaters in history.

Didnt KHON claim a year or two ago that local numbers for American Idol (due to Jasmine Trias popularity) were the highest in any market?

Aj

Comment

you know, i always thought John Fink and Orson Swindle should run for gov and lt gov just so i could buy a "Swindle & Fink" bumper sticker.

Originally posted by scsdogg View Post
        When papers endorse candidates, should I beware that coverage of a given race could be slanted?
        Being the GM(and not paid as a journalist), it's his JOB to represent the public opinion of KHNL/KFVE.

Show me a newspaper with the staff of a TV station, and I'll show you a paper that has MAYBE one full-time columnist.
        I'd rather see an opinion by one person than by a "collaboration of voices." (sounds like the Borg)

Are newspaper editorials just space to fill to avoid a blank page?
        Who cares if Fink has a journalism degree....or any college degree....or a HS diploma. He's the GM. If he wants to put monkeys throwing feces around on the air, he has that right. (until he gets fired....or promoted)

Did Fink punch your dog or something?....Really...what's the deal?

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
          I appreciate your attempt to give excuses for KHNL, but your rationale is easily debunked. A newspaper editorial is a collaboration of voices.

So what? Doesn't matter. Frankly a TV news station can put up anything they damn well please. The owners call the shots, they have the money and they do it. If it works for them, they'll continue. If not, they'll stop.

No matter what opinion is being spewed at News 8, apparently they like to continue doing it. Yes, they are #4 in the market, but ownership probably thinks this works and they continue doing it. One day they will stop.

It is their money, their station, they call the shots. Not you. Not me. Not anyone else. They want editorial, they got editorial.

BTW, if you hate it, as indicated earlier, use the remote. That's what it was invented for. Turn the channel. Watch "Barney" or something else. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head forcing you, me or anyone else to watch the John Fink News 8 editorial of the day.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
            If McNamara, Rosenberg and Blangiardi gave editorials following newscasts would you have a problem with it?
            Yes.

I am not defending Fink, but the criticism seems more personal in your attacks of him.
            If you mean do I have a problem with Fink, I don’t. But he’s not promoting Hawai‘i, the Aloha Spirit, or even his station in these messages. In fact I saw one that IMHO, was meant to criticize and demean people he didn’t agree with.

Like Mel and scsdogg point out, these guys have a legal right do what they do. I’m asking if what they are doing is right. Fink about it.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post

Like Mel and scsdogg point out, these guys have a legal right do what they do. I’m asking if what they are doing is right. Fink about it.
              Fink is just some guy doing what his owners told him to do. He's a puppet who knows he has to play ball or look for another job. What else is he going to do, it's not like he can tout what a good job he's been doing all these years. His station has been in last place since 1996 and that's back when NBC had number one rated shows like ER. Are his editorials ethical? Maybe, maybe not. But I truely believe he wouldn't be doing these editorials if he had a choice. I'd direct your fire towards khnl owners, raycom media, instead. They're not interested in news or ethics, just dollar signs. this is a product of their twisted logic.

Comment

I think TV station owners definitely have an impact on how a TV station is doing and/or operating. I remember KHNL used to owned by Belo, Inc., especially when KHNL started their news operations. Back then they did pretty well.
                That's my two cents.

Comment

During the early days of KHNL they were a FOX station and had Dan Cooke, Robert K, Lee Cataluna, Heidi U, Maria Quiban, etc.

I think they won some time slots back then. David Patterson, who I've worked with in tv before was the news producer when they first started a dozen years ago or so. And he knows more about those earlier days and how things went down. The station won Emmy's for Sand Island hostage coverage. Paul Brandt was the original GM and since left for Spokane, not sure if Fink replaced him in succession or not.

I think the morning show had Guy Hagi and Lyle Galdeira? Or was KHNL NBC by then? Barbara Wallace was around back then too as I recall.

But the original KHNL newsteam slowly began to disassemble with Dan Cooke and Robert returning to KITV, Heidi and Maria left for the mainland, Lee to the Advertiser, etc.

I can't recall offhand who replaced Dan as anchor at KHNL anybody remember? Was it Dash? Shari S came over from KITV.

Aj

Comment

Fink was KHNL's General Sales manager, which is a normal stepping stone to GM. Dash did replace Dan. David Patterson just moved to the mainland is currently out of TV, but is about to start his dream job, which I think AJ knows about.

Comment

Originally posted by sin View Post
                      Fink is just some guy doing what his owners told him to do. He's a puppet who knows he has to play ball or look for another job. What else is he going to do, it's not like he can tout what a good job he's been doing all these years. His station has been in last place since 1996 and that's back when NBC had number one rated shows like ER. Are his editorials ethical? Maybe, maybe not. But I truely believe he wouldn't be doing these editorials if he had a choice. I'd direct your fire towards khnl owners, raycom media, instead. They're not interested in news or ethics, just dollar signs. this is a product of their twisted logic.
                      Sin has it correct. "Think About It" is a Raycom mandated piece that it does at every one of its stations.

Whether he really likes doing them or not - Fink has no choice in cranking them out.

Personally, I always thought it should be renamed (for Hawaii) as "Fink About It."

Comment

[...]
                        I think the morning show had Guy Hagi and Lyle Galdeira? Or was KHNL NBC by then? Barbara Wallace was around back then too as I recall.[...]
                        I'm remembering Guy with Lee Cataluna and, briefly, Erin Ostrem, before Lyle came on board and I'm guessing KHNL was an NBC affiliate at that time. Didn't Barbara co-anchor with Dash? I don't trust my memory for a second!

Comment

During the early days of KHNL they were a FOX station and had Dan Cooke, Robert K, Lee Cataluna, Heidi U, Maria Quiban, etc.
                          IIRC, KHNL didn't broadcast the news until after the network switch.
                          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Actually, according to the KHNL website:

"April 17, 1995 - KHNL Hawaii News 8 launched a primetime (9PM) newscast, with a simulcast on KFVE-TV, from the first all-digital newsroom in the world. KHNL made history by integrating the use of GTE Hawaiian Tel's inter-island digital fiber optic network in the news, to broadcast live, daily shots from Kauai, Maui and Hawaii."

"June 19, 1995 - KHNL Hawaii News 8 launched a 10PM newscast, anchored by Dan Cooke and Robert Kekaula."

"January 1, 1996 - KHNL launched a two-hour (5-7AM) morning newscast, anchored by Lee Cataluna and Guy Hagi. Top rated programs like "ER," "Seinfeld," and "Friends" found a new home on NBC HAWAII NEWS 8, the new NBC affiliate. All programs, promos, IDs, and news products were branded with the NBC look and/or sound."

So it seems that KHNL did broadcast "news" while it was still a FOX affiliate.

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
                              [...]
                              "January 1, 1996 - KHNL launched a two-hour (5-7AM) morning newscast, anchored by Lee Cataluna and Guy Hagi.[...]
                              Aha! Proof that my long term memory is much better than my short term memory!

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
                                Actually, according to the KHNL website:

"April 17, 1995 - KHNL Hawaii News 8 launched a primetime (9PM) newscast, with a simulcast on KFVE-TV, from the first all-digital newsroom in the world. KHNL made history by integrating the use of GTE Hawaiian Tel's inter-island digital fiber optic network in the news, to broadcast live, daily shots from Kauai, Maui and Hawaii."

"June 19, 1995 - KHNL Hawaii News 8 launched a 10PM newscast, anchored by Dan Cooke and Robert Kekaula."

"January 1, 1996 - KHNL launched a two-hour (5-7AM) morning newscast, anchored by Lee Cataluna and Guy Hagi. Top rated programs like "ER," "Seinfeld," and "Friends" found a new home on NBC HAWAII NEWS 8, the new NBC affiliate. All programs, promos, IDs, and news products were branded with the NBC look and/or sound."

So it seems that KHNL did broadcast "news" while it was still a FOX affiliate.

Regarding Cataluna and Hagi: Talk about chemistry. It was more like watching a comedy team sparring with words. At times they were hilarious. I realize it was the news, but they really maxed out their situation. I wonder if that's what led to Lee's LAXodus from Honolulu.
                                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                                X