Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smooth As Sandpaper

Originally posted by tvguy View Post
    Can't blame JV for his little outburst....when you are in front of thousands with what I'd call a feeling of having your pants down......and even worse unable to pull it up, that's what happens.

Maybe so, but it will be all anyone remembers. And if he were to venture into other markets, it would certainly precede him. It's out there.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by tvnewshound View Post
      but they are obligated to show professionalism while on the air in spite of the situation.
      They're only human. Who'd want to watch distant, cold, emotionless reporters?
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I sometimes wonder if the new owner ever views these threads?

Maybe he is tanking the station to sell it at a loss and offset some big money he made somewhere else.

Or maybe he's just a moron, and everybody, except him, realizes it.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
          I sometimes wonder if the new owner ever views these threads?

Maybe he is tanking the station to sell it at a loss and offset some big money he made somewhere else.

Or maybe he's just a moron, and everybody, except him, realizes it.
          Naaaah. No one looks at HT. We're a parallel universe. It would be quite smug to assume so.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Man, I really feel bad for those guys! I'm not in tv, but I imagine that the faces you see every night are only looking as good as the people behind-the-scenes makes them. Kinda like the pizza delivery guy who brings the wrong order (that really was the cook's fault) to your house. Tough job!

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
              Naaaah. No one looks at HT. We're a parallel universe. It would be quite smug to assume so.
              HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Good one!

Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Interestingly, one Justin Zagri has recently commented on the YouTube clip:
                I was the camerabot operator on this newscast. It was a plethora of miscommunications and all the experienced staff on vacation. I felt so bad for john and jai
                Zagri's own profile declares his interest in becoming a filmmaker, and a quick Google finds his Academy for Creative Media links. Despite the bad day at KHON, looks like he's working hard in the trenches to do what he loves.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                  Interestingly, one Justin Zagri has recently commented on the YouTube clip:Zagri's own profile declares his interest in becoming a filmmaker, and a quick Google finds his Academy for Creative Media links. Despite the bad day at KHON, looks like he's working hard in the trenches to do what he loves.
                  Justin should keep his chin up and press on. Pity the person who never experiences a day that's the pits. How else could they compare their stellar days? The fact that he posted this means you're a step-up kinda guy, someone we could all depend on. I just think anchors should catch the flyin' cream pies with aplomb instead of going wahwahwah.
                  Last edited by lavagal; June 12, 2007, 12:18 PM. Reason: Pronoun adjustments.
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

That was a severe case of the gremlins! Still yet, KHON is my favorite on the air. I have to admit, that I loved it how the music stops just before John says "This really sucks." At least that was on cue.

Comment

D'oh. Guess the folks at KHON have lost their sense of humor along with their best staffers. They sent a DMCA takedown notice to YouTube to remove the clip I uploaded. I've gone ahead and deleted the other clip I had (of their Leslie Wilcox tribute) as well.

Wonder if I just hit a sensitive spot, or if they're going after all the other clips from their broadcasts on YouTube?

Comment

[...]Despite the bad day at KHON, looks like he's working hard in the trenches to do what he loves.
                        He is!!

Comment

Yeah, props to Justin for working his way up from being just the robot cam operator to someday becoming a successful director. I've seen a great many know-everything young ones just out of college wanting to be a Producer or Director immediately without seeing what it's like to be in the trenches and getting a better appreciation for the entire production process. It's moments like this that he will reflect on later in his career and chuckle and wonder what he was ever doing there when he's rich and famous.

Comment

D'oh. Guess the folks at KHON have lost their sense of humor along with their best staffers. They sent a DMCA takedown notice to YouTube to remove the clip I uploaded. I've gone ahead and deleted the other clip I had (of their Leslie Wilcox tribute) as well.
                            In case you don't read him every day... you got a writeup in Ian Lind's blog today, Ryan.
                            ( http://www.ilind.net/ , for those who don't know.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Bob Sevey told me about a series of mistakes that occurred during a strike, when he was at KULA. He kept his cool. Always the rofessional.

I wrote about it in my book, The Companies We Keep:

“Then there was the strike at KULA-TV,” Sevey recalled, “the first ever by the IBEW against a Honolulu TV station. All the technicians and cameramen walked out. The management staff was able to keep things on a reasonably even keel during the day of routine programming on film or kinescope (before videotape was invented).

“The six o’clock news, however, was another kettle of fish. There were salesmen pushing and trying to focus the cameras, promotion people were editing news film, the floor director was a copy writer, the sports guy was on the audio board, and on camera was me.

“I led to the first piece of news film, and instead, a commercial came up. I led to the second piece, and the fourth piece appeared. For a solid half-hour, absolutely nothing went according to the script. Everything was screwed up. It soon became funny, and I decided I had to play it that way. Somehow, we finished the half-hour.”

In the hours and days that followed, the station got thousands of phone calls and hundreds of pieces of mail. “Ninety-nine percent of them said they loved the newscast, thought it was the best, and certainly the funniest one they’d ever seen. Most were quite disappointed when we got our act together and figured out how to do it right, in spite of the strike."

Great story,

Aloha,

Bob Sigall

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                                In case you don't read him every day... you got a writeup in Ian Lind's blog today, Ryan.
                                ( http://www.ilind.net/ , for those who don't know.)
                                And Ryan is in it again today. This story has 'legs', folks.
                                (And so does Bob's. Great story, indeed!)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X