Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KGMB 9 News - New Set, New Look

Originally posted by bcr1652 View Post
    I agree with you! A morning newscast can be more than just news. They just have to be creative. Personally, I like a morning show that is a major "eye opener" EACH and EVERY morning, which has great energy, and even "help" me get up in the morning because i'm still usually tired when I have to wake up at 6:00 AM.
    The key to a successful LOCAL morning news show is to have a "tita" host. That's why I avoid KHON morning show since one tita have been promoted to the 5pm news show, and the other is on maternity leave.

Unless it is a priority, I don't like waking up to hard news, especially when I went to sleep after watching the hard news the evening before.
    Last edited by Random; August 29, 2007, 10:42 PM.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
      GET OUT! Traffic, traffic-related fatalities, surf, school in session, news of the mainland, stocks! Plenty to talk about.

Morning news opens a whole new venue for those who need to get stories out: Greek Fair, Walk Wise Hawaii, Okinawan Festival, Aloha Festivals, Flu shots for School Kids, cooking demos, heck I have a friend who wants to pitch perfect gift wrapping techniques! Morning news segments reach a pretty good audience: retirees back from their morning walk, new moms stuck in the house, families who watch TV with breakfast before heading to school and work.

Personally, I don't get a chance to watch as I'm the only one up at an early hour and then I'm on the bus at 5:45 so I miss this entire news slot. But, news that is still appropriate and fresh can be plugged into the evening newscasts, too.
      I guess I should have clarified myself...what i meant to say is there really ain't a lot of HARD news in the morning.

How often are there fatalities in the morning (thank goodness) and other really, truly hard news?

I just fear Ramsey will wind up doing what Manolo does, profiling restaurants as they cook up breakfast and people dancing or singing.

Bleah.

Comment

who is ramsey?

Comment

Ramsay Wharton - former Channel 2, now Channel 9 reporter

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
            Ramsay Wharton - former Channel 2, now Channel 9 reporter
            ...and former weekend co-anchor with Jai Cunningham on KHON

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
              I just fear Ramsey will wind up doing what Manolo does, profiling restaurants as they cook up breakfast and people dancing or singing.
              Unless something else happened between 10:30pm the night before to whatever time the Sunrise show ends, that's what she'll be doing.

Would be nice if she can roam the neighbor islands and broadcast on-location real-time. After all, not all local news are limited to Oahu. Maybe KGMB9 should get a mini version of the Superferry, so they can load up their gears and one mobile communication van to anywhere in the state (barring protestors).

Comment

Sure! That'll happen

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
                  Sure! That'll happen
                  The ferry part or the neighor-island real-time roaming report by Ramsay Wharton?

Comment

The large "9" in the background reminds me of the Superman logo for whatever reason.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                      The ferry part or the neighor-island real-time roaming report by Ramsay Wharton?
                      Both, or more accurately, neither. I doubt any local station would put the resources into a morning show to send a reporter to do live shots from the neighbor islands unless it was a special report or a ratings period stunt (sweeps).

Also, I know (I think) you weren't serious about the private ferry idea.

Comment

the khnl graphics/set suck... i liked the kgmb set they had before the current one.. it looks like an entertainment show set now.

also want to add, i enjoyed when "Lee Cataluna" was doing mornings on khnl.

Comment

Anyone knows how big their background screen is?
                          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
                            Anyone knows how big their background screen is?
                            Why? Shopping for a bigger TV?

Hopefully it will be more useful than a screensaver background as it is now. I wonder if it is touch-enabled.

Comment

Someone on this thread mentioned watching different afternoon and evening news channels to get different perspectives and that is an excellent point. If I leave a tv on KGMB or any of them, I suspect, for five or six PM news, and then watch them at ten PM I do tire of three or four of the same news videos for more than one newscast. It pays to watch more than one.

Oceanic's "News on Demand.." do they have several of our local channels for any one day? dang I haven't paid attention but that feature could be valuable for things like uh....watching when our own turf is involved.
                              Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                                What exactly are you looking for in a morning news show?
                                I've been pondering this question for a couple of days and I think I have a good answer. As has been pointed out, there's very little news that happens before bedtime and bagel-time. Like Mel, I prefer news to fluff, though I do like a little bit of fluff, especially if it's being discussed by the likes of Jill, Grace, and Mahealani.

When David Letterman has Brian Williams, Tom Brokaw, Cokie Roberts, or Dan Rather on his show, he'll spend a good fifteen minutes sometimes just discussing the issues of the day, sometimes spending the entire block on one issue (such as the war) or hitting a couple of different issues for an intelligent, thoughtful, reasoned take. I think this would work really well in the morning format. Have one of the anchors interview a prominent politician, educator, bureaucrat, news personality (not necessarily TV news!), businessperson, or even entertainer to discuss issues relevant to that person's realm. I like the idea of an exchange of ideas about stuff that matters.

Oh, and I think KGMB should get Jen Ozawa to talk about Lost every Friday morning! Why not? She's got the credentials!

Wait. Friday morning? Whichever morning follows the new episodes. Something is telling me I mean Wednesday morning.
                                Last edited by scrivener; September 1, 2007, 12:04 PM. Reason: "B-b-b-baby you just ain't seen nothin' yet . . ."
                                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X