KGMB Sunrise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: KGMB Sunrise

Hi Sansei - I was the News Director for a news room in Japan - on Yokosuka Navy Base and I too emphasised to my anchors (military and civilians) that they must try to pronounce the Japanese words and place names correctly. To see military journalists absolutely butchering the local language irked me in Japan as well but at least there I was in a position to do something about it.

Just as when I go home to New Zealand - I hear Maori words and place names mispronounced although I do credit the anchors with trying (they start their newscasts with "Kia ora" now) as they really didn't care about pronunciation when I left New Zealand back in the 80's. These days, many of the places in New Zealand have gone back to their original Maori names so I realize that they are hard to pronounce and appreciate the effort to get it right.

So, it irks me no matter where I go - not just in Hawai'i and not just Grace although she is the main culprit that I have noticed lately.
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

It irks me too. And it's not just Grace unfortunately. Many Hawai'i born and raised newscasters and anchors regularly mispronounce many Hawaiian words. I cringe every time I here the first syllable of 'Ala Moana' pronounced the same as the first syllable in 'Alan' instead of 'Ah-lah Mo-ah-nah.

I suppose that's partly because for many years there was little emphasis or effort in preserving and promoting the language and culture of Hawai'i. Fortunately, for the last several years, there's been a resurgence of the Hawai'i culture and an effort to preserve and promote the language. And this "dumb mainland-born haole" is very pleased to see it! Without the Hawaiians and their culture, these islands might as well be in the Carribean or somewhere.

Of course, I make my share of mangled pronunciations too, but at least I make an effort to try and get it right. In any case, I've always felt that newscasters, as public figures, should be held to a higher standard. They need to try to pronounce names and places correctly to set an example for the rest of us. At least IMHO.
      No, I'm not the Larry Price, I just happen to have the same name.

Comment

hi this is sansei and in response to kiwidiva, i do agree with you on one ponit on japanese word's on how they are butchered as another word is how they should say kimono and they say kamono and that's incorrect and i wouldnt think it's grace,if she wishes to learn.then it's ok only if she wishes to say the hawaiian word's the way she know's how to pronounce them,she should be allowed to do so and i called Kgmb and i talked to one of the producer's and they say that no one is allowed to make an appointment with grace to teach her not to say the hawaiian word's incorrectly,they say it's not even allowed so I Thought to share this with everyone.

well thank's for your time

Comment

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
          blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
          blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

well thanks for your time

Comment

hi this is sansei and to pumpkin boy,do you find this amuzing,i dont. im only sharing with you on what i learned at Kgmb.

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
              hi this is sansei and to pumpkin boy,do you find this amuzing,i dont. im only sharing with you on what i learned at Kgmb.

Sansei I apologize for what I posted earlier and in other threads.

I mean no offense, it's just that sometimes I find your writing style very hard to read and understand and because I am a writer too, it irks me to no end.

I know that is no excuse and I will stop being immature and stupid.

Sorry.

Comment

And I do appreciate the inside info you provide us.

It is interesting and I am grateful for your input.

Pumpkinboy

Comment

Pumpkinboy, that was really big of you to apologize like that. However, most of the time I also can't figure out what Sansei is talking about, or event the point.

Comment

Thanks for that I appreciate it.

I also agree with you and I honestly wrote what I did to give Sansei an idea of how we feel when we read his posts.

That's all.

Comment

There are a few pronunciation strict people at KGMB so I am sure she will get feedback and improve over time. One thing to remember is that pronunciation isn't static over time. If you went back a few hundred years ago and engaged some Hawaiians in conversation you might catch some odd looks based on Modern Hawaiian pronunciation. There's going to be some drift and changes in speech. In any event if you watch KGMB over time I would imgaine you notice noticeable improvement.

Now if I wasn't half deaf and stuck with a permanent southern drawl, I might improve myself - as is I think it's always going to sound like hillbilly Hawaiian when I open my mouth

hawaiimold

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiimold View Post
                        Now if I wasn't half deaf and stuck with a permanent southern drawl, I might improve myself - as is I think it's always going to sound like hillbilly Hawaiian when I open my mouth
                        So long you don't sound like "King" Ripper Collins.
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

hi this is sansei and in response to hawaii mold. i disagree with you is that not anyone is able to make an appointment to see any of the kgmb crew to teach them to correctly say the hawaiian word's.

i believe in my heart that if the kgmb people wish to share how they pronounce the hawaiian word's the way they know,it's not for anyone to teach them and for myself,i myself mispronounce the hawaiian word's since im not hawaiian and im american of Japanese Ancestry so i only understand american word's and simple japanese word's so I hope this may help with your thought's?

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Sansei, I'm not exactly sure what you are disagreeing with. Your syntax is a bit challenging

There are people at KGMB, who can and do speak modern Hawaiian well. I imagine they are assisting Gracie on a semi-regular basis.

Just like any other skill, mastery isn't achieved overnight. Improvement is generally incremental, and can be measured or noticed over time.

I imagine most of the HR department or News Directors would be a little leary of having a random person come in to give lessons. If someone from of the Hawaiian Organizations or a faculty member from UH's Hawaiian Language department offered to come in , they would probably take it under consideration.

Remember too, while we see tje anchors or reporters for what seems to be just a breif period of time each day, there is a lot of work and time invested to assemble and produce those few minutes or hours. The "talent" even if not actively working on a piece generally has to be available during certain time periods in the event something has to be modified or prepared.

On a tangent I thought some sort of weekly or semi-regular pieces on the Hawaiian Language and or History could be an enjoyable part of the news.

hawaiimold
                            Last edited by hawaiimold; January 19, 2008, 06:33 PM.

Comment

hi this is sansei and in my late own Humble response to hawaii mold,
                              if it were to happen that News anchor's and reporter's speak hawaiian,i for myself have one solution is to put them on mute and watch the closed caption so i wouldnt have to hear them using hawaiian word's and i do teach my Relative's on the mainland and my Japanese friend's and Cousin not to learn hawaiian so I Thought to share this with everyone.

Comment

Aloha e Sansei,
                                Maopopo i kou mana'o ma 'a'ole pololei. No ka mea, e ho'opa'a na po'e a pau i ka 'olelo hawai'i. I ko'u mana'o, 'o 'oe he pupule kane, a ua 'a'a' kou leo. Hiki iau ke mana'o ma kua e ha'i. Mahalo!

Comment

Working...
                                X