Leaving Paradise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Leaving Paradise...

I have read alot of this and I can honestly say that when I return this summer to Oahu, that I am never leaving, regardless of whether or not I would have a better life, or a better house on the mainland, I will make do no matter what. I am living in the Pacific NW right now, and the last year and a half have not been easy. I feel sorry for those who have left and even more sorry for those who have been away longer than I have and want to return, I know how you feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Missing da 'aina
      ... can NEVER make up for a simple shaka and a "howzit, bra".
      just try no fo sayum like Dog does, eh.

Comment

I came to Hawaii for the warm ocean. Having grown up in the SF Bay Area, and fishing/surfing/sailing/diving my whole life, I had no idea that somewhere on the planet the water was warm. It was a revelation.

After arriving in 93, at the heart of the slowdown, I really had to get creative to make a living. Deckhand, Captain, Carpenter, Tour Guide, Satellite TV, Fisherman, Waiter. Things have improved. Work is fun. Surf is perfect.

People love the aina here. I think the kai is even better.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I can't find the thread where I asked for help for my neighbor asking about medical coverage. Anyway, all hope was gone and today my neighbor's wife and daughters boarded the plane to meet him in Las Vegas. He left two weeks ago.

They leave behind family and friends. They leave behind a place they LOVE. A place, in reality they just wasn't able to financially make it. He was offerd a better position in Las Vegas where the cost of living is much cheaper too.

Today, I said goodbye to a good neighbor.

...leaving paradise.

Auntie Lynn

btw: My son-inlaw, youngest daughter & Antonio moved into their "first" purchased hale!
          Last edited by 1stwahine; March 12, 2006, 03:11 PM.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
            I can't find the thread where I asked for help for my neighbor asking about medical coverage. Anyway, all hope was gone and today my neighbor's wife and daughters boarded the plane to meet him in Las Vegas. He left two weeks ago.

They leave behind family and friends. They leave behind a place they LOVE. A place, in reality they just wasn't able to financially make it. He was offerd a better position in Las Vegas where the cost of living is much cheaper too.

Today, I said goodbye to a good neighbor.

...leaving paradise.

Auntie Lynn
            I know how you feel Auntie, alot of my very good friends are now on the 9th hawaiian island. Sure nothing can beat our climate, cost of living so much cheaper then here. Oh well, gotta do what you gotta do!!!
            OGGBOY
            bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

I had to leave 7 years ago, I still miss Hawaii like anything. I definetely miss the islands -- the meteoric rise in real estate prices doesn't make the idea of coming back any more feasible :/

Comment

Excerpts from a story just now published at http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../br/br03p.html :

"More people continue to move away from Hawai'i than come here from other states, according to data released today by the U.S. Census Bureau.
                The report on domestic net migration shows that between 2000 and 2004, the state lost an average of 2,053 residents annually to out-migration to the Mainland.
                "Most of the out-migration came from O'ahu, with the Neighbor Islands seeing a positive increase in domestic net migration, particularly on the Big Island, where land is usually cheaper. Hawai'i County averaged 1,988 more people moving in per year than moving out from 2000 to 2004, more than twice as high as the annual average in the 1990s.
                "Maui had an average net in-migration of 746 residents per year, higher than the annual average of 494 experienced in the 1990s.
                "Florida, Arizona and Nevada, a popular destination for people leaving Hawai'i, attracted the most new residents, according to the Census Bureau. New York, California and Illinois lost the most."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Speaking of leaving I am going off this island in July to live with my sister in Utah. Never left this state in my entire life. I know, why Utah right? I have lots of friends up there and I always wanted to leave the islands but I will come back.
                  A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro
                    Speaking of leaving I am going off this island in July to live with my sister in Utah. Never left this state in my entire life. I know, why Utah right? I have lots of friends up there and I always wanted to leave the islands but I will come back.
                    Utah is gorgeous. I've never been there, but I've seen pictures. Stunning landscapes. Great skiing. Interesting indigenous culture (my people!) (well, different tribe, but still ...).

It will be an adventure. I hope you enjoy it! And you can stay on HT to chase away those homesick blues.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                      Utah is gorgeous. I've never been there, but I've seen pictures. Stunning landscapes. Great skiing. Interesting indigenous culture (my people!) (well, different tribe, but still ...).

It will be an adventure. I hope you enjoy it! And you can stay on HT to chase away those homesick blues.
                      Hey thanx for the encouragement. I actually look foward to the move, and it would be great to see something new but if ever I need to know how my home is doing I always have hawaiithreads to fall back on.
                      A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

I lived in Salt Lake City many years ago while attending college. The city itself is very pretty and most of the people are very nice. Depending on where you live (either in Salt Lake City or West Valley City) you going find diifferent kine people. West Valley City has plenty Pacific Islander people (especially Tongans and Samoans); many came to Salt Lake City because of their religion.

The scenery is absolutely fantastic. One of my favorite things to do was to go out to the Great Salt Lake and watch the sun go down from Antelope Island (in the middle of the Great Salt Lake...I dunno if still can drive out there, though).

It'll DEFINITELY be a good experience for you to live someplace else. You'll have seasons in Salt Lake and maybe you will even get to go skiing in the wintertime (foa sure go play in the snow!). But most of all, I think living away from everything you've ever known gives you more appreciation for the place in which you were born and raised.

Good luck and happy adventures!

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Shan-n
                          Thank you Auntie Lynn for posting this topic! I was born in the mainland but came to Hawaii when I was about 11. My father came to Hawaii to visit a really good friend. Well he loved Hawaii so much he moved our family here a year later! I went to public school here on the windward side truly have always felt like a local girl! Some of my friends say I am a local girl trapped in a haole girls body I still live with my father and we have been in the same house since we moved to Hawaii.

Well I am a single mom of an 8 yr old son and although I have a pretty good job I have been considering relocating to the mainland (Washington State) for the past year. I am familiar with Washington as I visit there about 2 times a year. The cost of living here in Hawaii is just too expensive. I am 28 and want to buy a house by the time I am 30. I CANNOT do that here in Hawaii with the cost of a house averaging $605,000 !! But if I move to Washington then I would have no problem. I could rent a house here in Hawaii for the rest of my life but with the cost of rentals nowadays I just can't justify it. I also could wait for prince charming to come sweep me off my feet but I am not holding my breath hahahah!!

I am extremely nervous about the thought of moving as Hawaii is all I have known. My son isn't exactly happy at the thought of moving but he understands that life may be better there. So here I am looking at the pros and cons of leaving the place I love, the only place I really know, the place my son was born and raised... How do I actually make the decision to move my son and I to the mainland and start fresh?? Sometimes I hate being an adult and having to make decisions like this!!

So for all of you who have moved to the mainland I give you lots of credit and I look up to you. I just hope and pray that if I do decide to move that it will be the best decision I ever made.
                          Hey everyone! I just wanted to give you an update. It is official I have decided to leave paradise and move to Washington. I know so sad... another family from Hawaii moves due to more opportunities and lower cost of living on the mainland!! My son and I just got back from a trip to Washington and we feel we are ready to make the move. We won't be moving alone. My best friends sister and brother-in-law are moving with us too. We will all be living with my best friend for the time being until we can figure out where we are gonna live. It is nice to be moving with them because we are all sharing the cost of things like the Matson container we need to ship our belongings!!!

I have done tons of research about different towns to live in, good public schools and jobs. My son and I really like Mukilteo and from my research the schools are really good here. We even looked at a few condos for sale!! Really nice places! Lynnwood had tons of rentals and the schools are pretty good there too from what I have read. Do any of you have suggestions as to nice towns to live in that have good schools?? I have read that Everett has a terrible public school system. One of my main concerns is that my son go to a good school. But I also want to live in a place that I can afford.

Also if anyone has any other suggestions about moving to Washington please please post them for me. This is my first move...so I am a little.. well a lot nervous Thank you so much everyone!!!

Comment

Hi Shan-n:
                            Mukilteo is very nice. It's considered a "bedroom community" to Seattle and Everett. Lots of open space and you're near the water (Puget Sound). There's a really nice big park there, too. Housing is probably more affordable there than in Mill Creek (other side of the freeway).

I know what you mean about Everett. It's getting way too congested, more like Seattle. Mukilteo and Shoreline (down by Edmonds) have very good school systems. Northshore School District (by Bothell and Silver Lake) also has good schools and housing is still pretty reasonable. Depends on the type of housing you're looking for. Condo? Single family home? I don't know if you're planning on getting a job, but the commute to work might also be something you want to take into consideration when looking for someplace to live. Commuting from Everett to Seattle can take more than an hour some days. The Edmonds/Shoreline/Woodway area is still pretty uncrowded (relatively speaking) and still close enough to Seattle or Everett without feeling like you're in the big city. Public transportation between Everett and Seattle and points in between is pretty decent too during the week.

Good luck with your move. The nice thing is, by moving to Washington, you will never be homesick for the local food anyway! There are lots of local grinds places (including, but not only, L&L) that Leo Lakio and I can tell you about. Plus, there are lots of halau that put on their fund raising ho'olaulea every year so you can get your hula fix too!

Miulang

P.S. making the move with others will help out a lot, as will being able to stay with someone who is already familiar with the area. I've moved all over the country by myself and it's always been a great experience to learn about new places and do new things.
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Good Luck, Shan-n! I have a neice who made the big move to Washington State several years ago. She is a single mom and owns two homes there. Loves her job, the State and her Community. She visits Hawai'i every other month. She wouldn't have it any other way.

She has asked me to come and live with her several months of the year. I just laugh. I shouldn't. I would be treated like a Queen. Hmmmm...I have many friends living in beautiful Washington State. I hope to visit there someday soon.

Once again, Good Luck and God Bless!

Aloha Oi'

Auntie Lynn
                              Last edited by 1stwahine; April 27, 2006, 01:09 PM.
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

My wife and I left Hawaii to travel, live and work in different parts of the world. I would love to be able to spend my final years in the place I was born and raised, but we are not able to afford the cost of living. I must say that one of the things I miss most is "my people," the local people. I am a retired career teacher, and the thing I hated most about teaching on the mainland was kids making fun of my being Oriental. Yes, sad to say that many people in America think in terms of Black and White as the only "real" Americans. Japanese, Chinese, Filipino, etc. types are not "bonafide," they say.
                                Last edited by Mangoseed; June 20, 2006, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X