A State Better than Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A State Better than Hawaii

New Jersey is the best state on earth...not.

I don't know about a better state than Hawai'i in which to live, but I'm contemplating that after I've lived in Nor Cal and done substantial research on the resident white sharks, I might move out of the USA and to another Polynesian island chain that is less crowded. Perhaps Tahiti; I could do some work with the reef/tiger sharks. Thats the plan any way. Hawai'i, although it is the creme de la creme, is just being innundated with mainlanders.
    "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
    "But I can't even read good."
    "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
    "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

I've lived in California, Wisconsin, Oregon, Ohio and Illinois prior to moving here.

Of those, I'd live in Oregon or Northern California again. Of those two, Oregon takes the cake.

Oregon is absolutely gorgeous. I lived in Salem, which is 45 minutes south of Portland, but if I were to move back, I'd live in Portland or Eugene - Salem is a town for old people . Anyway...It's an hour from the snow and an hour from the beach. Lots of skiing (Mt Hood/Mt Bachelor), lots of hiking, camping, hunting, the beach normally is pretty chilly, but it has its quirks. There's green mountains, there's lots of sandy desert. (If you're an outdoor recreationist, the Northwest is your playground). Lots of quality beer and wines. People are pretty nice but can be totally crazy. The shopping available in malls/towns is pretty nice and if you can't find it there, you will find it in Seattle. It's about 3 hours from Seattle, 5 hours from Canada, 5 minutes from Washington Course there's the Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, which is quite a drive, but worth it. OOooh and Oktoberfest in Mt Angel. The rain isn't as bad as it sounds, though the snow was a bit harsh the year I left (towns in the Willamette Valley arent really prepared for snow...maybe they are now, who knows). Ooooh and how could I forget? DUNGENOUS CRAB! It's everywhere. I love watching people fish for crab off the beach.

And Speaking of car registration - I paid $68 for two years for a truck ($213 here for 1 year). That's not a bad perk either

Comment

New Jersey. Someone wanna mess with me?
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
          New Jersey. Someone wanna mess with me?

Aw hell naw girlfriend! New Joisee? Puulleeezeee. I've lived there in N. and Central Jersey. Central Jersey (Jersey shore, actually three blocks from the beach) sucks- to many WASPS and racists. No culture and very unwelcoming people. That was my experience anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
            I know what you mean, I grew up near a beach. In all my years, I have always been at least two hours from the ocean (with the exception of 6 months special training).
            Oh jeeze... Prof. K, after having sat through his forum lectures, is quite possibly rubbing off on me. The horror, THE HORROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You ment to say I have always been at MOST two hours from the ocean, yeah?

Don't hurt me, that Prof. K ingrains a need to nitpick any grammatical error whenever one is apparent. It doesn't matter if it's within the body of a formal written document of on an informal, online, who-cares-what-the-heck-you-write-and-how-you-write-it, forum. Oh jeeze.

Comment

South Jersey to be specific.

Just got back from taking my family there for my 30th high school reunion, and to introduce my two girls, who are 5- and 6-years-old, to my family and friends. Took them blueberry picking, peach picking, to Surf City, Long Beach Island for some fun in the sun and to go beach combing in the incredibly soft and white seashore sand, heck we even got to be in the 4th of July parade riding in my sister's restored Ford Falcon! The girls got to go horse back riding, we went looking for the Jersey Devil, managed to spot some dear, bunnies and discussed how Canadian geese are related to Nene. And then we got to shop at Target, TJ Maxx, Wegmans. I managed to consume three foot-long truly Italian hoagies with hot peppers and a Philly cheese steak from a shop in Marlton called Franco's, which puts any similar sandwich actually made in Philly to shame. The best part was visiting my family. I hadn't been back in six years. We even got to experience three electrical storms, but managed to avoid the flooding.

No doubt Jersey has some rough spots, as do all states, including Hawaii. But that's where I'm from. My living here for 26 years will never eclipse where I spent my childhood. It has shaped who I am. So that's why I write stuff like "...wanna mess with me?" hahahahaha!
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                Where are the Texans who lurk on this board? I think they're the only ones I've ever heard express any regret at having left their home state.

Miulang
                Hello,

I am a Texan living in Sarasota, FL. I do not regret leaving Texas. I used to live in Ewa Beach as well.

I am looking to bringing my sail repair biz to Oahu soon.

Comment

Yep, honestly can't say much about South Jersey as the only times I've seen it were on my tips to visit family in Maryland and on trips to drop my friend off at Stockton College. Oh yeah, I almost went to a LAN tournament there in Milleville with a bunch of my clanmates. (I was 16 at the time, parents weren't home so I could only go to drop my friend off and wish my teammates the best of luck. They took second. I shoulda been there to help secure t3h win.) Central Jersey- Spring Lake, Belmar, Manasquan, Sea Girt, Asbury, etc. etc. sucks. And I'm not saying it's an eyesore. Life there just flat out blows, you'd have to have resided there to understand what I'm talking about. Northern NJ-Union, Elizabeth, and Newark usually get a bad rap but I have some fond memories of my childhood whenst I dwelt up there... California-The Bay Area: Benicia and now Berkeley; simply a great time. But I have to rep Hawai'i first and foremost!
                  Last edited by Whitepoint3rchum; July 9, 2006, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                    IF YOU HAD TO MOVE AWAY FROM HAWAII, WHICH STATE WOULD BE BEST SUITED FOR YOU?
                    I can't decide between Minnesota, Vermont and Western Massachusetts. Minnesota has the best weather and the city, Vermont has the best scenery, and Western Mass has the best towns and culture. Alaska is also very nice, but too far from the places I like to visit. However, I would be happy to live in any state that borders Canada.
                    Last edited by beaker; July 10, 2006, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                      There's no question Hawaii is increasingly becoming THE place to move to and call home.

Can anyone claim another state in the U.S. you think is BETTER than Hawaii to call your permanent residence? It would be preferable if you've actually LIVED in Hawaii (not just visited) and the state you're comparing it to.

Consider all the pros vs. the cons of that state and sell us on it! For Hawaii, the former far outweigh the latter.
                      Quite a few members of my 'ohana seem to prefer Southern California. Palm Springs, La Jolla, Rancho Santa Fe, Newport Beach, Malibu, Bel Air, Marina Del Rey, Manhattan Beach, Rolling Hills Estates are all preferable to many places in Hawai'i. In terms of the "pros" of living in Southern California: more shopping options, easy access to top-notch healthcare, more entertainment options, numerous colleges and universities, decent weather, and a never-ending supply of cheap labor are a few.

In terms of the "cons" of living in Southern California: crime, traffic, and the relatively high cost-of-living, are probably the biggest ones.
                      Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Hawaii will always be "home." Honolulu is my birth place. I lived half my life in Hawaii.

But after having lived the other half in the SF Bay Area (the southern part, actually), I really, really like this place. Definitely not the entire state of California, just this area.

Today's not supposed to hit 80° (although 90° temps are forecasted for later this week) and unlike in Hawaii, humidity's rarely a problem for me.

Wineries are so accessible. Santa Clara County, Santa Cruz mountains, & Snapanoma (i.e., Napa / Sonoma).

I like food and the whole area is filled with fine restaurants. While attending San Jose's Japantown Obon Festival this past weekend, I found out (long story) about "Birrieria", a restaurant that specializes in goat meat (hence its name). Being only six blocks away, I of course had to check it out; I've had Japanese food a couple of times, but had goat meat rarely (once?). One word for its goat stew: GAWDFUNNITONOLICIOUS !!! Translation: it was pretty good.

In Hawaii, no matter what your likes and dislikes, you're not going to have the choice / variety of foods that's available here. And remember, San Francisco is less than an hour away.

BTW Hawaiian places (L&L, J&J, Ohana, Hawaiian Barbecue & Hukilau) are around, so I'm not hurting when it comes to local-type plate lunches. HB has killah lau laus with chunky fatty belly pork.

I enjoy driving. With not much preparation, I can be on the beach in Santa Cruz in less than half an hour (usually); spoiling my grandkids in Reno in about four; doing none-of-your-business in Las Vegas in about nine; savoring the Oregon coastline in a day or so; etc., etc., etc.

For me, this is pretty hard to beat.
                        Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
                          Quite a few members of my 'ohana seem to prefer Southern California. Palm Springs, La Jolla, Rancho Santa Fe, Newport Beach, Malibu, Bel Air, Marina Del Rey, Manhattan Beach, Rolling Hills Estates are all preferable to many places in Hawai'i. In terms of the "pros" of living in Southern California: more shopping options, easy access to top-notch healthcare, more entertainment options, numerous colleges and universities, decent weather, and a never-ending supply of cheap labor are a few.
                          It's really tough to leave SoCal especially if you're born and raised here. Most of the annoyances I am used to and the benefits are quickly missed.
                          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid
                            But after having lived the other half in the SF Bay Area (the southern part, actually)...
                            Yeah baby, Bay Area represent.

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
                              It's really tough to leave SoCal especially if you're born and raised here. Most of the annoyances I am used to and the benefits are quickly missed.
                              I left in 1983 (born and raised) and have not looked back much except when my friends are doing reunion gigs and I can't make it. I grew up in VC which used to be primarily agriculture and is now LA North.

Miss the sun sometimes. Don't miss the traffic, smog, and the drive bys.

More power to ya. Everyone I know in SoCal due to work came from somewhere else. And they keep coming.
                              You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
                                More power to ya. Everyone I know in SoCal due to work came from somewhere else. And they keep coming.
                                I would leave to relocate to Hawaii if:

1. I thought I could earn a decent living from one job.

2. I didn't have to drive an hour or more every day to get to and from work.

3. I really believed my kids wouldn't suffer too much at the hands of the local keikis.

No place appeals to me other than Hawaii. I already find the SoCal winters too cold for my taste. I've wanted to live in Hawaii for going on 20 years. I decide to stay in Cali one year at a time.
                                “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                                http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Working...
                                X