• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonah K
    replied
    Re: King's Hawaiian

Originally posted by modpirate View Post
    But since it sounds like you can't even get poi in Hawaii anymore, I guess finding it on the mainland is out of the question.
    I can usually find poi at Marukai in Gardena. It's not as good as the poi at my local KTA, but it's still poi.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by modpirate View Post
    But since it sounds like you can't even get poi in Hawaii anymore, I guess finding it on the mainland is out of the question.
    It ain't cheap, but you can get it. There are several sources in the Seattle area, so you should have even better luck in SoCal.

It's a little too costly for most restaurants to stock regularly, though. But there are stores where you can buy it in bags - good for big events, lu`au, `ohana gatherings, etc.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• tikiyaki
    replied

Y'know...I've been wanting to go to Kings for a while now, but have still yet to. Is it worth the drive ? I live about a good 45 min from there, but I don't mind driving. How's the inside of the place? Island Style?

I know the sweet bread is good.

Leave a comment:

• modpirate
    started a topic King's Hawaiian

King's Hawaiian

oh man, I finally got myself down to King's Hawaiian Bakery and Restaurant in Torrance, and it was exactly the fix I needed. It wasn't the best Hawaiian food, but then I'm easy to please. In Honolulu I used to get my fix at the Poi Bowl in Ala Moana, that's how easy to please I am.

Anyway, the one thing I really missed was poi. I had kalua pig with rice and lomi salmon, but I had forgotten how fatty the pork could be. It really needed the acidity of poi to cut the greasyness. But since it sounds like you can't even get poi in Hawaii anymore, I guess finding it on the mainland is out of the question.

So, yeah.
Working...
X