Would you move back to Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would you move back to Hawaii?

Heck yeah, if I have to live barefoot on the beach in a shack like how I grew up! I want to go HOME!!

Comment

Years ago, when I lived on Oahu, I used to get island fever and yearn for things I could find on the mainland that I couldn't find in Hawai'i. However, now I feel all I need is a decent place to live, a place to continue my education, eat healthy food, good recreational venues for exercise that are year round, and have a happy social life. Now I'm pretty sure I could do that in Hawaii. I really miss all the good things Hawai'i has to offer, and if I had a good, auspicious opportunity to come back, I would take it.
      Last edited by Vanguard; June 24, 2006, 05:51 PM.

Comment

This is a question that the wife and I have looked at quite often, and the answer is always the same. No. We would not ever move back to Hawaii. There is the idea or image of Hawaii, and there is the reality. Anyone who has lived there for any time will tell you all the things you can read in this post. The complaints are absolutely valid. Rampant racism. No one likes anyone. You have to stay in your own lil racial group. The Hawaiian, or local, brand of racism is the worst I have ever seen anywhere on earth, and yes, a lot of those people are ignorant as the day is long. Duh. Who else could be like that? And they are such cowardly bullies. I am not a big guy, but I always got right back in their faces when they started their stupid racial hatred raps. They NEVER will fight you unless it is 2 or more against 1. If they were such brave warriors, why did they run like girls when others came to take their land! The Hawaiian Warrior- the ultimate myth. Hawaii is a beautiful place, but the locals are the worst. We are a lot happier on the mainland. Hawaii was one hassle after another. Shame on those sick creeps. I used to tell the locals that THEY should leave. Go back to Polynesia where THEY came from. No one owns those islands. The American Indians have native status because they fought for their land. You would have to be out of your mind to live around those lolos. It ain't worth it. And baby, this is the gospel truth, except no one there wants to hear it. Tough.As for that wahine Trask, she should be arrested for hate mongering, but she is REWARDED w/ a state salary. Pretty much sums up the Hawaiian reality right there.

Comment

hahahahaha! As far as those "lolos" go, "it takes one to know one".

I'm glad you're happier on the Mainland than you were in Hawai'i. Maybe the attitude that you exuded while you lived in Hawai'i (if it's anything like what you posted here) had something to do with the way you were treated. Why did you move to Hawai'i in the first place? What kinds of expectations did you have before you got there? What did you do to try to understand the culture?

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by galvestonsteve
            This is a question that the wife and I have looked at quite often, and the answer is always the same. No. We would not ever move back to Hawaii.
            Great. Too bad, I neva give you some Whack Whacks first! Our islands is Paradise to us. We are blessed with weather, beauty and her richness. Yeah, we have our problems but her many wonders outweigh them all.

Do us a favor. Don't come back. You'll only dirty our image and land!

Auwe

Auntie pUpule
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

No, I would not move back to Hawaii to live and work; I might get a retirement house on the Big Island to visit during the winter (If I win the lottery!)

I did not like the racist atmosphere; I made the effort to change it where I worked, but I was mistreated the worst by the haole owners. I had Hawaiian friends who taught me surfing and slackkey and they encouraged me to speak pidgin (were not offended at all.)

What I miss most is the outdoors. I hiked all over the Big Island, mauka and makai and rarely saw anybody, local or tourist. Despite what you read in this forum, I am not convinced that the locals really appreciate the aina to the extent someone who grew up in a big city would; otherwise, why are the trails empty and the waterfront parks uncrowded on the weekends? I know some have to work several jobs, but not all.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahi Waina
                What I miss most is the outdoors. I hiked all over the Big Island, mauka and makai and rarely saw anybody, local or tourist. Despite what you read in this forum, I am not convinced that the locals really appreciate the aina to the extent someone who grew up in a big city would; otherwise, why are the trails empty and the waterfront parks uncrowded on the weekends? I know some have to work several jobs, but not all.
                I think you're right. It's the old saying, "you don't know what you're missing until you don't have it anymore". Besides, most of the time, it's way too danged HOT and humid to be walking outdoors in Hawai'i!

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Hawaii is no paradise, and the people who live here know that quite well. It's the HVCB, primarily, that lives neccessarily in a warped reality! Is there fierce competition for resources, lots of nepotism, and the usual array of government corruption and incompetence? Sure. Have we got racists and bigots and ignorant trolls? Sure. I guess another way to phrase the question is, which set of problems trolls would you like to live among? Hawaii's, or Houston's? Some folks choose one, others the other.

Honestly, if someone is happier where they are than they were in Hawaii, I think we should be happy for them. And if they hated Hawaii and its people, I think we should be doubly happy that they've found a happier place somewhere else. Sure beats having them in the neighborhood!

And... uncrowded trails? Maybe on the Big Island, where there's space to spare, but hiking is pretty popular for locals and tourists on Oahu, and you'll hear more than a few gripes that they've gotten so crowded and trodden that they're hardly "nature" excursions anymore!

But you're right that a lot of us here don't take the time to enjoy the treasures we have, or just take them for granted. Contrary to what mainland business contacts think, of course, we still work every day, and thus can't go surfing six days a week. But I know that I still had to make an effort to get out of the office, out of the house, away from the TV and computer, and get some sun, sand, and sea.

Now that I have kids, of course, activities abound. We won't be doing the Haiku Stairs anytime soon, but lounging on Waimanalo Beach is nice!

Comment

This is a question that the wife and I have looked at quite often, and the answer is always the same. No. We would not ever move back to Hawaii. There is the idea or image of Hawaii, and there is the reality. Anyone who has lived there for any time will tell you all the things you can read in this post. The complaints are absolutely valid. Rampant racism. No one likes anyone. You have to stay in your own lil racial group. The Hawaiian, or local, brand of racism is the worst I have ever seen anywhere on earth, and yes, a lot of those people are ignorant as the day is long. Duh. Who else could be like that? And they are such cowardly bullies. I am not a big guy, but I always got right back in their faces when they started their stupid racial hatred raps. They NEVER will fight you unless it is 2 or more against 1. If they were such brave warriors, why did they run like girls when others came to take their land! The Hawaiian Warrior- the ultimate myth. Hawaii is a beautiful place, but the locals are the worst. We are a lot happier on the mainland. Hawaii was one hassle after another. Shame on those sick creeps. I used to tell the locals that THEY should leave. Go back to Polynesia where THEY came from. No one owns those islands. The American Indians have native status because they fought for their land. You would have to be out of your mind to live around those lolos. It ain't worth it. And baby, this is the gospel truth, except no one there wants to hear it. Tough.As for that wahine Trask, she should be arrested for hate mongering, but she is REWARDED w/ a state salary. Pretty much sums up the Hawaiian reality right there.

Not surprised you had trouble adapting in Hawai'i. Your arrogance is quite apparent, You seem to want to perpetuate the myth that Locals or Hawaiians don't fight fair... there always has to be an excuse for haole when he gets his asswhipped by a local.Just be a man and humble yourself to your victor for a change. Usally people like you get whipped because they ask for it. Let me add that if you would have gotten in my face, I'd whip your ass too. Now, you might want to research the history of these islands and pay speacial attention to the overthrow of the Hawaiian monarchy...that way you won't sound like the idiot that you probably are.

In closing, let me add that I'm glad you and your ilk have decided to stay in your part of the world...where all the other assclowns reside.
                    Last edited by Nalu; July 23, 2006, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nalu
                      Not surprised you had trouble adapting in Hawai'i.[...]
                      Exactly! In Hawaii, one gets back what one gives. Galvestonsteve's experiences in Hawaii are/were to be expected. I'm happy he found a place where he can relate to the people and the people can relate to him. And I'm even happier that I don't have to live in such a place.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                        Exactly! In Hawaii, one gets back what one gives. Galvestonsteve's experiences in Hawaii are/were to be expected. I'm happy he found a place where he can relate to the people and the people can relate to him. And I'm even happier that I don't have to live in such a place.
                        Amen to that! I lived for 20+ years in Texas and it's apparent that Galvestonsteve is NOT Hispanic or he would probably perceive racism in Texas in a totally different way.

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy
                          Amen to that! I lived for 20+ years in Texas and it's apparent that Galvestonsteve is NOT Hispanic or he would probably perceive racism in Texas in a totally different way.
                          Heck, from my time spent in Dallas (especially visiting family these days) it seems like everyone is racist to some degree. It just manifests in different ways. The place has a very bad vibe to it. :\

Comment

I would like to respond to some of the responses to my quote, at least the more intelligent ones. I am pretty thick skinned and don't take any of it personally.
                            I think that I just said what a lot of people are too tactful to say themselves. Yes, it came off in a mean way, but I am very angry about the way I and a lot of other people were treated in Hawaii for only one reason---the color of our skin. That is racism boys and girls, and I could care less if someone thinks that sort of behavior is somehow justified. It isn't. My attitudes come from the locals, not vice versa. I am a very friendly and easygoing Southern man, but I do not tolerate viscious and aggressive behavior, and I had my fair share of that directed to me in Hawaii for absolutely no reason. As I said, I always confronted it, which surprised the locals, as they were used to a different response.
                            This method of pretending that the person who objects to the racism is somehow the problem is a common Hawaiian tactit to deflect criticism away from the real problem. I could give you a laundry list of other people who got fed up w/it and moved away, and there were a ton of reasons. Terrible schools (my wife worked in Kea'au and Pahoa high schools-war zones), a culture of drugs and alcoholism, domestic violence, the ugly racism I mentioned. Just a lot of angry, mean, and unwilling to be educated people there. Yes, of course, I met some nice people, but in almost every case they were white, black, or someone from the mainland.
                            The idea that THE MAINLAND even exists is a popular Hawaiian fiction used to support their myths and hatred of anything different from them. There is no such thing. Tupelo, Ms has nothing in common w/ New York, New York, which has nothing in common w/ Detroit, Michigan, which has nothing in common w/ Dallas, Texas. Shoot, you can be in San Francisco and just cross the Bay, a 5 min Bart ride, and emerge into a totally different racial, cultural, and political realty. People and customs are very different state to state, city to city, and commumity to community. Life is COMPLICATED. But, of course, racism is simple. Simple minded that is. I guess that if all the other racial groups left Hawaii, which would be most of the locals too, and the Hawaiians could go back to the days of the Alli'i when you stepped on the kings shadow and you were killed, then would ya'll be happy? I think not. Can't have it both ways.
                            One last wake up for the people that believe all the lies spread about the mainland--- I am white and the wife is black. She lived all of her life in Hawaii and was terrified of moving here because of all the fears put into her from the Hawaiians, locals, media, newspapers, movies, etc. She thought she would be discrimminated against and we would have a lot of trouble as a mixed couple. Well, while we were looking for our place in the sun (Galveston, and we really do belong here), we lived and stayed in Tucson, Memphis, Little Rock, San Antonio, Albuquerque, and Oxford, Ms. Guess what? In nearly a year and a half we have had NO problems about being a mixed couple. The wife has experienced NO racism. Nowhere. Period. Zero. In the South people say yes mam and no mam to her. Yes, even the white people! This is not 1950 anymore. She admits she was wrong and is very happy about the change in attitudes here. The nicest people we have met have been in the South. Polite, literate, well mannered, and they will speak their mind and not let people run games on them, all qualities that were not available in Hawaii. Values we honor. Sure, there is a conservative element to the deep south, but there are a lot of people who feel differently too.
                            Good luck and goodbye to all the good friends I had in Hawaii. Most of them have either moved to America or are in the process. It really is too bad about the Hawaiian scene, but it is what it is. Can't let the rich folk know or they will stop bringing their dollars to the islands, so you won't see any of this in the media (except Forbes or Fortune magazine, I forgot which, that ran an article that described a lot of what is really there in Hawaii). Yes, the place is pretty, but pretty is as pretty does. Besides, The Phillipines, Belize, Florida Keys, and a lot of other places have beautiful land and water and climate too.

Comment

I am pretty thick skinned and don't take any of it personally.
                              but I do not tolerate viscious and aggressive behavior
                              I think you answered yourself there...

I think what people are trying to say is that no where you move is perfect and you just have to choose the set of tradeoffs you're willing to accept. I'd venture a guess that those in Hawai'i do not work out for you. I'm unsure if they will for me either, but I feel like I have to try because I'm drawn there by other things. I say this even after the negativity I've heard on these types of forums because of two reasons.

One, I keep hearing, over and over and over: you get back out what you put in, when you go there. There must be something to it. I've experienced stranger things in my life. So I'm willing to try it and see if it works.

Second thing is that I've heard this same sort of thing about almost anywhere I've lived, that I've actually researched. If you go read forums about Portland, you'll hear a lot of people talking about how cool it is and how nice people are, etc, etc... and you'll find a hard core of very angry, bitter people who paint a picture of this city that is far from the average every day experience. If you were to listen to them, you'd get mugged and shot on every street corner, you'd get caught constantly between racial conflicts and gang fights, liberal picketers tearing down your business on one side and conservative politicians selling the state to businesses on the other, massive unlivable tax burdens, houses priced out to the stratusphere, solid rain for 7 months out of the year ... you listen to that, and you wonder how or why anyone could live here. The truth of the matter is that while a little bit of those things do happen here, it's not something that influences your daily life very much. I spent several years working in what's widely considered the most dangerous part of downtown here. And yeah, I saw my share of characters... but I never had any real problems myself.

I guess what I'm getting at is that "it is what you make of it" thing applies almost anywhere you move. My interpretation is not that the people on here are trying to make light of the racism issues in Hawai'i, be they how they may, but saying that they are what they are and you can choose to be bothered by them as much as you want. Maybe your attitude in the south is such that because of your expectations of being treated well, you are treated well. *shrug* Who knows.

I've heard interesting things about the schools in Hawai'i too. It's not such a clear cut case. It's tough to compare Hawai'i's schools to the other 49 states when the majority of the people in those states speak standard American English at home, and that is one of the major criteria for judging how well a school is doing. 'Course people over here are getting a taste of that themselves lately with all the immigration issues... I'd almost be more interested in hearing about math scores. Seems like that'd be a better indicator.

Anyway, peace Steve -- glad you found a place you are happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bard
                                One, I keep hearing, over and over and over: you get back out what you put in, when you go there...

Second thing is that I've heard this same sort of thing about almost anywhere I've lived, that I've actually researched...

I guess what I'm getting at is that "it is what you make of it" thing applies almost anywhere you move.
                                *PING!* We have a winner! Thank you, Bard.

Hawai`i has a long list of special and unique qualities, but the one about "the attitude you project will have a direct effect on the attitude you receive" applies universally. Hawai`i has its own spin, of course, based on the limitations that come with living on an island (or a chain of them, in this case.) It's a little different than being in Washington, or Texas, or Iowa, or Oregon, when it comes to picking up and moving a few miles to seek a slightly different group of neighbors.

Steve and his wife found what works for them; we can wish them well. Hawai`i (or Washington, or Texas, or Iowa, or Oregon) isn't right for everyone; we should all be glad of that, too. And for those who find Hawai`i DOES work for them, you can recognize Steve's postings for the generalities they contain - generalities will always raise red "accuracy" flags.

Comment

Working...
                                X