Would you move back to Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would you move back to Hawaii?

There are 2 great reasons to love Hawaii. It's the ocean that keeps me here. And the wonderful employment opportunities that exist everywhere you look.

It's hilarious to hear people talk about lack of employment in Hawaii where unemployment is under 3% for the last 6 years. If you are only qualified to work at Taco Bell, maybe you should villify your parents for failing to teach you a respect for education. Folks, the school's are just fine. If your BRAT would shut the FUp, maybe they would get educated. You can't find or keep a decent job because you are an IDIOT. Moving away won't change that.

NOBODY OWNS THE OCEAN. But to some, the only sense of importance they have is the bully way they lead their lives. Lord knows I love bully's.

Racism is pretty bad here. So is ignorance. That's just the blunt facts of it.

I see a lot of people in Hawaii who could not whip ass if they were trapped in a whorehouse with a box full of eggbeaters.
    Last edited by timkona; July 25, 2006, 09:05 AM. Reason: added a line to the bully paragraph
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
      I see a lot of people in Hawaii who could not whip ass if they were trapped in a whorehouse with a box full of eggbeaters.
      Oh, you should see the visual of this, now playing in my mind...

Comment

They used to say, "home is where you hang your hat". And I think that's still probably true for 99% of all people.

Miulang
        Last edited by Miulang; July 25, 2006, 12:10 PM.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          They used to say, "home is where you hang your hat". And I think that's still probably true for 99% of all people.
          You know what's really sad is that Multnomah County (Portland's county) uses that exact terminology to define how much of the temporary county tax you had to pay when it was still in effect. They had a very long section about figuring out what your Multnomah residency was, and it all came down to "basically, for the requirements of this section, you're considered a resident 'where you hang your hat'". Pretty funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            They used to say, "home is where you hang your hat".
            Crap; I don't wear hats. I don't wanna be homeless!

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
              NOBODY OWNS THE OCEAN.

I'd pay money to see you tell that to Johnny Boy Gomes in person. His reaction to those words coming out of your mouth be hilarious, I would laugh my ass off watching you eat sand.

Comment

Nalu,

I have to say this. Your statement here bothers me. Truly, deeply bothers me. Because *nobody* has the right to tell me, you or anybody that they own the ocean. Just like nobody has the right to litter in it, steal the baby fishes from it during spawning season, or tell someone else to get off their piece of sand.

That kind of attitude started wars amongst our people throughout the ages and when are we going to learn lessons from them?

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                  Nalu,

I have to say this. Your statement here bothers me. Truly, deeply bothers me. Because *nobody* has the right to tell me, you or anybody that they own the ocean. Just like nobody has the right to litter in it, steal the baby fishes from it during spawning season, or tell someone else to get off their piece of sand.

That kind of attitude started wars amongst our people throughout the ages and when are we going to learn lessons from them?
                  Nalu must be referring to the surfer beat down video discussed in another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                    Nalu must be referring to the surfer beat down video discussed in another thread.
                    I don't care what that references. The fastest way to start a war between ahapua'a was to stake a claim on the beach. We passed these stories from kupuna to keiki for a reason--to learn from it.

pax

Comment

• Re: Would you move back to Hawaii?

I don't care what that references. The fastest way to start a war between ahapua'a was to stake a claim on the beach.
                      You should care. The fastest way to start a war between surfers on the North Shore is for a haole kid to disrupt a surfing contest by going into the water, then ignoring all requests to clear out. Like it or not, Da Hui and the Wolfpack do "own" the beach in that area...

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                        You should care. The fastest way to start a war between surfers on the North Shore is for a haole kid to disrupt a surfing contest by going into the water, then ignoring all requests to clear out. Like it or not, Da Hui and the Wolfpack do "own" the beach in that area...
                        but what does that have to do with the tea in China? I get the point you are making, but as you comment on this tangent, do you see the point that I made?

pax

Comment

but what does that have to do with the tea in China? I get the point you are making, but as you comment on this tangent, do you see the point that I made?
                          Yeah, I see your point, just as I see Nalu's. And I agree with both. But you shouldn't just dismiss his opinion like that.

Nobody owns the beach. It's for all Hawaiians to enjoy - AND PROTECT - as they see fit.

That said, I too would like to see another mouthy haole come to the North Shore and tell Johnny Boy that nobody owns the water and they can do whatever the hell they want. Eat sand is right.

Comment

Originally posted by fvck3k
                            Just a thought...if the opportunity came for you and your family back to Hawaii would you?
                            As soon as I have enough money, I will. The mainland is cheap, but it doesn't compare to the islands. The people back home are awesome. They know how to drive, with aloha. The people here drive like crazy people. The people back home are considerate of eachother. The people here are always in a rush with a "ME ME ME" mentality.

Sure, there are people from home that act like that, but compared to the mainland, there just a tiny group.

Also, I love my island women.

Comment

My opinion is that a genuine respect of the Island culture is best served. I haven't experienced any direct racism, although I have gotten the "stink eye" one or two times. My wife is Hawaiian, so maybe this helps.

While I don't condone any racism, I do understand where it may come from. There are people who are very protective of their Island paradise and I can understand, there are just better ways of doing that. Also, white people have a reputation of sometimes being very ethnocentric and arrogant, I think this adds to the hatred of haoles.

I believe that most of the Hawaiian people are wonderful and that a few ignorant people should'nt ruin it for the whole.

Comment

Oh of course I would love to be able to move back home BUT I have changed careers and no opportunities in my field exist back home in Hawaii. Well maybe there is like one company but what if they folded or ran out of work?

Besides, I feel I have more options here in SoCal. I have worked so hard in getting to where I am today so I don't know if I am ready to give that up. Thats just a priority though as I love what I do.

I miss my ohana and the island life. Sure, its a price I must pay but at least I am just 5 hours from home.

Comment

Working...
                                X