Finding a Place to Rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Upper Palolo?

well, i own another home in kapolei. here's the "deal". it was being let to family members for 1/2 of the mortgage, or $700 plus they had to upkeep the yard and house and pay all the utilities. needless, to say, they didn't keep up their end of the deal. now, i'm thinking: you know it's supposed to be a win win situation for all of us. you take care of my house and pay way below market value and i have the "assurance" that my house will remain in good condition. mind, you, i didn't have them sign a lease. you know, family and all. hah! they are the worst people to do any kind of business with. so, their rent increased to the entire mortgage plus all the insurance that we need to carry on it for a grand total of $1600/mth. they still have to pay all the utilities. and, the amount is still below market value.

this house in kailua has no mortgage. but, the tenant pays "market" rent. actually, i've seen increases in this area over the last couple of years. but, i think it's due to the utility companies rate increases.
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
      it should take you app. 30 minutes to get to tripler from kaneohe/kailua using the h3 freeway. i don't think it would take any longer to get from either of these towns to the h3. generally it's about the same.

a question? are you in the military? if so, have you checked out living on base?

while i can't say "most of us on the windward side don't have air con", i don't. but, that's because the front of the house faces east. we get all the breezes from the ocean. it usually gets hot when it's considered "kona weather" and the breezes (if you want to call it that) come from the south or south/west.
      Kani-lehua, I'm a civilian. I'll actually be at the Vet's Hospital right next door to Tripler, but I mentioned Tripler as I imagine more people are familiar with it.

I'll rent until I'm familiar enough to know where I'd be best situated for the long run. I'm trying to sort out if I should live on the windward coast or right in Honolulu. I've been commuting 45 minutes each way for ten years now, so it's kind of second nature. At the same time, it'd be nice to have that extra time at each end of the day. I commute now so I can live in a nicer place, in my eyes, and I spend my free time outdoors around where I live.

I think I already know what I want. With Kaneohe Bay, Kailua Beach, the mountains, and endless green of the windward side, it's an irresistable force. I guess I'm wondering about sunshine and wind. I realize that the cloud cover hits the mountains and thus it's more cloudy and rainy than the Honolulu side. A person on another site, maybe Virtual Tourist, said that while this is true, there's plenty of sunshine for most people (I realize that's subjective). Any thoughts on that?

Also, being on the windward side, is it windy most of the time? Typically gusty or just breezy?

Wherever I end up, it'll be a breeze being out of the cold.

Comment

Wow, Kani-lehua! These people don't know how good they have(had) it....I would have jumped at a deal like that.....in my case, it's just my son and I and we've been renting an apartment in Waipahu from a friend's dad......2 bedroom 1 bath and it's $950 a month.......water is included......It's not a bad situation but I really would like a patch of grass to stick my toes in or to lay out on when they sky is nicely lit up with stars.....so I'll keep looking.....ever the dreamer....I work downtown so sometimes the commute kills me but the 'talk-story' time I have with my 17 year old son is PRICELESS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
          I'm trying to sort out if I should live on the windward coast or right in Honolulu. (...) I spend my free time outdoors around where I live.
          Then you'd be much happier on the windward side. If you lived right in town, nothing real pleasant about hanging out outdoors unless you like looking at buildings.

I guess I'm wondering about sunshine and wind. I realize that the cloud cover hits the mountains and thus it's more cloudy and rainy than the Honolulu side. A person on another site, maybe Virtual Tourist, said that while this is true, there's plenty of sunshine for most people (I realize that's subjective). Any thoughts on that?
          All of Hawaii is full of micro-climates than can change sometimes every few miles. There's a popular saying here that "If you don't like the weather where you are, just drive 5 miles."
          As for the rain on the windward side, there's more if you live right at the foot of the mountains; less the farther away you are. I live right on the bay and many times it's dry here but raining just a few blocks mauka (toward the mountains).

Also, being on the windward side, is it windy most of the time? Typically gusty or just breezy?
          That's why we don't need air conditioners on this side. Typical is probably 12 to 15mph; steadier in the summer (when you need it) and occasional calms for a few days or a week in the winter. And of course better breeze right on the beach; less farther inland.
          Just my $0.02 worth...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            There's a popular saying here that "If you don't like the weather where you are, just drive 5 miles."
            Wasn't that "wait five minutes"?
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              Wasn't that "wait five minutes"?
              Either/or.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                Then you'd be much happier on the windward side.
                I think you're right, LikaNui. I like cities and I could be perfectly happy right in town, but it seems more advantageous to live within easy reach of a city. That way you have the best of both worlds.

Comment

sorry, for not posting earlier. i had forgotten about this thread.

jim and turtlegirl: have you found a place yet? i think both of you would be happy on the windward side of the island. kaneohe gets more rain than kailua. and, kailua seems to be breezier than kaneohe. just my opinion. normally, we don't have to water the grass until august. however, this year seems a little different. no air con at my house. we get sea breezes (we're one block from the beach) as our house front faces east.

ms. aloha nui: am not sure if you meant that the people in kapolei (family) or my tenant, "don't know how good they have it"? my answer to that question would be all of them. when i start to build on the big island, there will be many changes to their situation and mine. more than likely, i will sell the kapolei house or rent it at market value and rent out kailua + the cottage at market value.
                  "chaos reigns within.
                  order shall return."

Comment

Hi!
                    We are still looking for a place to live. Our friends have been really sweet to let us stay in their spare room until we find just the right place. Currently we're waiting to hear back from our two favorites. One is in Kailua, has a cute tiny yard, and within walking distance of the beach. The other is in Kahalu'u and its bigger and set in the hillside. Either one would be nice, and of course, we're still looking, though it has been a little slow this week due to the holidays.

Happy Easter everybody!!
                    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Kani-Lehua, I'm still on the mainland waiting for transfer details to be worked out. Hopefully it won't be too much longer. I've been watching Craigslist and I've seen some places on the windward side that made me wish I was there to move into; but I'm encouraged by the fact that there seems to be a pretty steady availability of places there that look like they'd work out well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
                        Kani-Lehua, I'm still on the mainland waiting for transfer details to be worked out. Hopefully it won't be too much longer. I've been watching Craigslist and I've seen some places on the windward side that made me wish I was there to move into; but I'm encouraged by the fact that there seems to be a pretty steady availability of places there that look like they'd work out well.
                        i know both you and turtlegirl would love the windward side of the island. i haven't been watching craigslist, but the local newspapers don't seem to have a lot of inventory as far as rentals.

here's another link that you can try: rentalsillustrated.com you fill out an application about what kind of rental you are looking for; whether or not you have pets; locations; schools, etc. the only thing is that they charge a fee of $49.99 and find you a minimum of 6 properties that fit your needs.
                        "chaos reigns within.
                        order shall return."

Comment

Re: Finding a Place to Rent - WE DID IT!!

Hooray!! We found a nice one bedroom ohana house that is inexpensive and comes with a little semiprivate yard for Ninja, and and area for Sven to do his painting!!!! We are SO happy! The place is perfect for us, AND the lady who owns it is very very sweet! It's in Kailua Heights!! Mountain views!! Close enough to the beach for me, and also just like the "little shack in the hills" that Sven wanted!

WE ARE SOOOOOO HAPPY!!!!!

Comment

Re: Finding a Place to Rent

Kailua has heights?
                            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                              Kailua has heights?
                              Aren't they "Bluffs"?

Comment

Well, thats what the map says, thought the Post Office calls it Kailua, and my friend calls it Enchanted Lake.

Comment

Working...
                                X