Dogs, Rentals, Yikes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogs, Rentals, Yikes!

I have been on this site for quite awhile reading and finally decided to join in and say Aloha to everyone!
    Currently we are in Arizona. My husband flys out next week to start his new job and look for housing for us. My daughter and I will be joining him in July (with our 3 dogs) yes 3! I know it wont be easy but we will have to make it work. I cant get rid of my dogs! (yes I know about the quarantine etc and all their paperwork is up to date, shots, blood work etc)
    We used to live in Kailua (enchanted lakes area) for 3 years. my daughter was born in Honolulu. We moved to Arizona to be near family but have dreamed of going back for years. So we GOING FOR IT.
    My house is in shambles packing etc and I am a bit stressed about finding a rental that will rent to us with our dogs. I hear everyone say its extrememly hard. I just have to be positive. We want to rent in Kailua, Kaneone or Kahlaluu area. I have read tons of posts on here but havent really seen any stories of people with multiple dogs and what happened with them? Just curious
    Thanks and hope to hear from you all soon!

Re: Dogs, Rentals, Yikes!!

Originally posted by honu2008 View Post
    We want to rent in Kailua, Kaneone or Kahlaluu area.
    that would be kaneohe and/or kahaluu. your husband should try working with a realty company. a lot of them manage rentals. also, try rentalsillustrated.com . i think there's a charge, but you fill out an application and they find you app. 6 rentals that meet your criteria.
    Last edited by helen; March 28, 2008, 12:50 PM. Reason: fixing quote tag
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Try www.hawaiianhumane.org , www.peoplewithpets.com , or www.petsok.com. Or www.hicentral.com.

We looked at a very spacious studio in Kahaluu, and were interested in renting it, but the owner would not let us apply right away, as she had someone coming to see it who owned two dogs, and this lady really wanted a tenant with dogs. Something about feeling bad for dog-owning renters who had fewer choices than us non-dog-owning-renters!

Also, craigslist has dog friendly listings.

I love AZ! Welcome back to HI!
      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Thank you both!!
        I will keep researching and hope for the best.

wow, I cant believe I misspelled those cities, LOL.. That is bad since I have lived in all 3 of them in the past. I guess I was in a rush this morning when I posted. oops!!

I cant believe turtlegirl was dealing with someone who actually wanted people with dogs! That gives me a bit of hope ( I saw your post in the forums and congrats on finding a home!) Very exciting!!

At least my husband will be there for 3 months before we go, so I am hoping that will give him time to find someone who wont mind our dogs. If any of you hear of anything available in any of those areas, let me know! I will keep on searching!

Comment

A friend of mine found a small one bedroom apt. in Waikiki a couple of years ago that caters to pet owners. Friend has several small house pets (dog, cat and a couple of birds). I hear there's a waiting list for apartments in that low end, low rise, very small building. I've often wondered if residents of neighboring buildings complain about barking dogs or screeching parrots!

Comment

Hi Tutusue.....I can imagine that apartment complex is quite loud, lol!
            We will need a house with a small yard and we want to stay on the Windward side of the island. I sure hope we can find something.
            My husband leaves tomorrow!! He rented a room in Waikiki temporarily until we arrive in July. He will be on the hunt for a house over the next few months. I will let you guys know how it goes!
            Thanks for the nice replies!

Comment

Originally posted by honu2008 View Post
              Hi Tutusue.....I can imagine that apartment complex is quite loud, lol!
              We will need a house with a small yard and we want to stay on the Windward side of the island. I sure hope we can find something.
              My husband leaves tomorrow!! He rented a room in Waikiki temporarily until we arrive in July. He will be on the hunt for a house over the next few months. I will let you guys know how it goes!
              Thanks for the nice replies!
              good luck! hope it all works out for you!
              "chaos reigns within.
              reflect, repent and reboot.
              order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Renting with pets is so not easy! we rented eight years from a landlord that would never agree to any size dog but allowed us two cats. Our young daughters had chinchillas for awhile but they weren't allowed to run free and weren't an issue.

One married daughter rented in Mililani Mauka for a year, no pets allowed and at the time to renew lease for a second year the landlord agreed to allow a cattle dog because the kids had taken such good care of their property.

Good luck! I know there's a place for you and your pets because there's a lot of landlords that love their animals, too. I do admit that asking a landlord that doesn't yet know you to let you bring three...and if they are of course indoor pets....it may be quite a test of your patience.

Daughter tells me that the Humane Society keeps rental listings for landlords allowing pets. Bet their website can tell you all about it.
                Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                  Daughter tells me that the Humane Society keeps rental listings for landlords allowing pets. Bet their website can tell you all about it.
                  It surely can! Just click on this link and you're there.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Likanui, you be rockin it today! thank you....I haven't been to that website in months. I'm gonna peek now, and glad the one on here needing it the most will get there fast, thanks to you.

Oh, HAPPY ALOHA FRIDAY!! We have fantastic weather for it, jacket weather at night, and man....oh, you already know it's good weather, pardon...got caught up in the fall feeling of it all.
                    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Thank you guys so much!!
                      My husband arrived on the island today (very exciting) although my daughter and I are so sad without him. We have until July to meet up with him. He will be on the hunt for a house while he rents out a room in Waikiki. Thanks for the link! I will keep you posted.
                      Oh, and can you believe that my husband was supposed to arrive YESTERDAY but guess which airline he had a ticket with??? ATA!! What a mess! So his flight was cancelled due to the bankruptcy and we had to buy a last minute ticket for this morning and it was so expensive!
                      At least he made it there safely though.

Comment

Boy I tell ya I'm sure he didn't put up much of a fuss with that task, "What you want me to go to Hawaii and stay in Waikiki for a couple of months all by myself?"

When you get here make sure that tan line is clearly visible on his ring finger
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          When you get here make sure that tan line is clearly visible on his ring finger
                          Hahaha! Great info!! Will be keeping an eye on 'jewelry tans' from now on!
                          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Re: Dogs, Rentals, Yikes!

LOL, I am not worried
                            We have been thru much longer seperations (former military) no biggie for us. The tables have been reversed many times with ME being alone in Hawaii while he was someplace else.
                            I will check those tan lines, lol

Comment

Re: Dogs, Rentals, Yikes!

My wife and I are in the same situation. We have two little girls. Maltese so they are small but finding a rental seems a little tough. Great info in this thread. Thanks for posting.

Bummer about the lost ATA ticket. We are bummed about ATA failing because that was the only airline that would allow use to take our dogs on board the plane. We don't want to place them in storage. One of our two girls is a nervous wreck in a cage so we really want her on board with us so we can sooth her. I don't know what we are going to do now that ATA is gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X