Transportation to & from Kalalau Trail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transportation to & from Kalalau Trail

Greetings, my name is Michael & i'm 33, my wife is Adina is 29 & we live in Tacoma, WA. Here's a shot of us on the wonderland trail:

http://watrails.com/wonderland2006.0...emplate49.html

We are avid hikers but have never gotten to travel too far beyond our own state. We've backpacked in Yosemite a few times but otherwise it's in our own backyard. For Adina's 30th bday (11/01) we are backpacking the kalalau trail. We fly in on the 31st & fly out on Nov. 11th. We're spending 4 days on the trail (10/31 - 11/03) & then 8 days exploring the rest of the island while staying in one of the local resorts. Neither one of us have ever been to the islands & we are quite excited.

Is there a couple kind souls who could give us a ride from the airport to the trail head and / or another ride back a few days later? We can compensate what you think is fair. Or perhaps someone can recommend a dependable service to do so? We arrive in Kauai around 2pm on 10/31/2008 & then are looking for a ride back to the airport (to pick up our rental) sometime in the afternoon on 11/3/2008.

Thanks, Michael

Re: Transportation to & from Kalalau Trail

Hey, I am going to have the same problem in Feb. Let us know how you work it out! I am not having much more luck solving the problem than hitchhiking or renting a car which is a total waste of money seeing how you will be on the trail the whole time your paying for it.

Comment

I'll let you know what we come up with. I've had a fair amount of views but no replies so it may just turn into a really long hike for us . I'm sure something will work out though, i went to a radiohead show last month & only slept about 3.5hrs so i could pick a stranger from the wonderland trailhead & deliver them to the train station before i had to head to work for the day. according to karma, i should have a ride waiting.

Comment

Hi
        Your birthday hiking trip sounds wonderful, and if I lived on Kauai, I'd definately give yall a ride to and from the trailhead. Good luck, tho!
        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

as another option, you might contact this shuttle service. They may/may not be an option for you.

http://www.speedishuttle.com/
          n'importe

Comment

I read somewhere that there is a tour service that will transport you for a fee. I have no idea about any details. Sorry.

Comment

thanks everyone, appreciate the input. checked out speedishuttle & requested a quote for roundtrip to the trailhead. if anyone else knows of any other companies, i'll check them out too.

this is what you'll find a few hours east of seattle...
              http://watrails.com/enchantments2005...emplate89.html

Comment

wow. speedishuttle just got back to me. they are quick. $270 roundtrip. what do people on a limited budget do? not travel?

Comment

If you are not taking big backpacks you can look into the Kauai Bus.

I never used the service myself but it seems you need to catch at least 2 buses and it only takes you as far as Hanalei. From there you might want get a taxi for the rest of the way. While the distance between Hanalei and the trail head might be an extra walk, the road for the most part has no shoulder to walk on.

Comment

Originally posted by dropper View Post
                    wow. speedishuttle just got back to me. they are quick. $270 roundtrip. what do people on a limited budget do? not travel?
                    wow thats a lot. I have no idea where it is you are going. lol. but I take them reguarly from Kona airport 35-45 mins away to the Outrigger Keauhou Resort where we host our seminars and it only costs me less than $30 one way.

There is a sort of backpacker place in Kapaa, they might be able to provide you info. Their website always deals with information on the island and has info I remember for people wanting to hike, and I believe they provide tours.

Can always put on ad on craigslist, or onine in the Kauai paper.
                    n'importe

Comment

Originally posted by Kaukura View Post
                      There is a sort of backpacker place in Kapaa, they might be able to provide you info. Their website always deals with information on the island and has info I remember for people wanting to hike, and I believe they provide tours.

Can always put on ad on craigslist, or onine in the Kauai paper.
                      Hadn't thought of craigslist as obvious as it is. Never have really made use of it but that's another avenue to try, thanks. Do you know the url of the Kapaa backpacker's website? I'd like to check that out...

Comment

just google "Kapaa backpackers", I just did it, cuz I wanted to help, but there's too many posible links for me to list them all.
                        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Working...
                        X