Finally moving to Oahu and looking for pet friendly apartment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally moving to Oahu and looking for pet friendly apartment

After almost two years of preparing, researching etc we are finally making the move. We arrive Oct 20th but we need to find a rental property before we get there. We are looking on the Humane Society site and craigs list. If anyone knows of other suggestions for finding a rental let us know. We are flexible about location on the island.

As you might know from prior posts we have two Maltese. (Who unfortunately have to travel in cargo.)

Thanks for all the great help from this site!

Aloha and looking forward to seeing you all at the next outing.

Re: Finally moving to Oahu and looking for pet friendly apartment

Anyone ? We really could use some advice on finding an apartment from the mainland. Never had to rent a place I couldn't look at first.

Comment

Originally posted by desperado View Post
      Never had to rent a place I couldn't look at first.
      Nor should you. I can't offer you any advice besides that.

Perhaps you should try to find a pet friendly hotel to stay in while you look around at apartments. The apartments here vary widely, and trying to rent something based on some photos online may not work out the way you hope for.
      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Pet friendly hotel? The only one is the W at the far end of Waikiki with a weight limit on the dog. Oh, there is also the Kahala resort and some place on Paokalani. Here's a site I found that might help I just googled "pet friendly hotel oahu" and this came up:
        http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/tr...tyHIOahu.shtml

Why don't you try to contact some dog clubs and see if anyone in that sort of organization might know or be of help?
        Last edited by leashlaws; September 27, 2008, 11:25 AM. Reason: add link

Comment

Thanks we have a hotel booked just in case but we are trying to find a month to month apartment so we can avoid the expense of a hotel. This way we can take our time selecting a nice place with a long term lease. So we are really looking for a VBO or rental which allows month to month.

I agree with Turtle Girl that you shouldn't rent sight unseen however it's impossible for us to do it any other way so we were just looking for friendly advice. We rented a VBO last time we visited in Kailua and even though we couldn't see it in advance it was lovely. Unfortunately they don't allow dogs so we can't use them this time.

Has anyone stayed in a VBO with your doggie that you can recommend ?

Comment

Ok, I'll bite! What does VBO stand for? I googled it but nothing applied to your request...
            valence band offset
            Vainu Bappu Observatory
            Venezuelan Bolivar
            Vertex Buffer Object
            Vested Benefit Obligation
            Virtual Back Office

Comment

OOPS sorry about that "Vacation By Owner" Actually it should be VRBO Vacation RENTAL by Owner.

couple of nice guesses there

Comment

Windward Estates are nice condo/apartments (my husband looked at them and he's pretty picky) and they allow pets. They're over in Kaneohe. There's also Iroquois Point Island Club in Ewa Beach. They have a mix of townhouses and houses and allow pets as well.

Wish I could offer you more, but those are the only places I know about.

Oh- but there is a website you can register for that tells you pet-friendly places in Hawaii. Petsok.com. You do have to pay for it, though. I don't know if it's worth it for you or not.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

do check out the link that leashlaws provided. it's very helpful. i don't know what your budget is like, but have you thought about boarding your dogs until you can find a pet friendly rental?
                  "chaos reigns within.
                  reflect, repent and reboot.
                  order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

We found a few pet friendly hotels. Some not listed on the website provided by leashlaws, we called around until we found a few. So we have an emergency plan if we can't find a nice apartment in time. I also located a friend of a friend who is willing to check out an apartment or two on the islands. So we are making good progress.

Thanks Surlygirly, we found these apartment complexes by contacting a few real estate agents but it's nice to get feedback from someone other than an agent. That is assuming you are not an agent

Kani-lehua, thanks for the input, unfortunately our little girls would HATE boarding...they are way too spoiled.

Looking forward to our arrival !!!

Comment

Nope not an agent! Scout's honor!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

glad to hear you are making progress!

oh, i do know about spoiled fur babies as we have four dogs and 3 cats. they don't know it yet, but they're moving to the big island by year's end and will be getting there by air. they are going to freak out!
                        "chaos reigns within.
                        reflect, repent and reboot.
                        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

My sis found a cheap pet friendly hotel on the Ala Wai side of Waikiki, the Holiday Surf, a couple of months ago. She has a golden retriever and stayed there for a couple of weeks before leaving the island. She had a kitchenette and it suited her needs.

Comment

Working...
                          X