Hawaii for Education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii for Education

My husband and I have always planned on settling down in Hawaii when we were all grown up with degrees and jobs. Recently though it occurred to me.. Why are we waiting?! University of Hawaii at Manoa has both of our fields of study in a location we actually want to be. So here are my questions:

Have any of you come to Hawaii for Education? What were the pro's and con's?

Do any of you go to (or work for) University of Hawaii at Manoa? What is the atmosphere like?

How do college students make a living there? Are there many on-campus jobs? Is student housing any better than just finding an apt or condo?

Also both my husband and I have worked for the NPS and are very interested in getting jobs (part time or seasonal) at Puu Ualakaa State Park is competition very steep? Is it common for them to hire students?

Thanks so much everyone and I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Re: Hawaii for Education

Also both my husband and I have worked for the NPS and are very interested in getting jobs (part time or seasonal) at Puu Ualakaa State Park is competition very steep? Is it common for them to hire students?
    I can't think offhand what dedicated jobs there would be at Pu'u Ualaka'a State Wayside. It's a state park, administered by the DLNR, but it's certainly nothing like a National Park Service site with a visitor center, guides, and the like. It's just a park. You probably could seek an administrative position in the state or city parks departments, or I guess a facilities maintenance gig, but... that's probably not quite what you're envisioning.

Do any of you go to (or work for) University of Hawaii at Manoa? What is the atmosphere like?
    I attended and graduated from UHM and just started as a part-time lecturer. Obviously I don't know enough to answer thoroughly. I will tell you that UHM, like any college, has its own internal politics, budget challenges, and the like. There is a faculty union (UHPA) that may or may not be relevant depending on what sorts of position you have in mind. But I love the school, the statewide system, and could easily see myself teaching full-time.

How do college students make a living there? Are there many on-campus jobs? Is student housing any better than just finding an apt or condo?
    To make a living as a student? Live at home with your parents. Or go in deep with student loans. It's tough enough for everyday people to make a living, but add in classes and tuition, it's not like you can get a high-paying regular gig... at least not easily.

There are campus jobs, mostly of the administrative/clerical variety, all coordinated through an office at the UH Student Services Center. Obviously, not great pay, but hey, it's work experience for young students and it's right there.

There is student housing, and if you have any budget constraints, it's going to be the best way to go, given off-campus rents. Won't say the facilities are great, but what dorms are? The trick is there's fierce competition to get on-campus housing... though your chances improve the further away you live! If you're coming from the mainland and will be paying out-of-state tuition, I'd say you stand a good chance of a spot.

Comment

Pzarquon thank you so much for the answers!

When we were working for NPS we both did gigs as maintenance so maybe we could work that angle.

How were/are class sizes at UHM? Their site says small but what was your experience. I was looking into CalPoly and I've heard there can be like 100 kids to professor in some of the Arch classes. Are the ratios a little better there?

And kinda a weird question I guess, How are the kitchens in student housing and will they let married couples live in the dorms (we're still pretty young). I talking to the people at www.hawaiistudenthousing.org and they only let single occupants in their one bedroom places and I'm worried about on campus being the same story. And as for the kitchen, I've found I can save us a ton of money if I cook vrs cafeteria plans or eating fast food. I've seen some places advertising "kitchenettes" and its a microwave and a mini fridge, and I'm afraid that just wont do the trick.

I know the move wont be cheap but I'd like to avoid as much debt as possible. Thanks so much for you input it helps a ton!

Comment

I have a couple of high school friends who went to the Mainland for their undergraduate degree then came back and did graduate work at UH. They seem happy with it.

I wonder if they have "married/adult student housing"? A school I went to in southern California had a bunch of spots dedicated to that--old barracks I believe, so nothing fancy, but you had your own kitchen, a tiny living room and bedroom. Nice enough if you are with someone you love!

Comment

http://manoa.hawaii.edu/housing/familygrad

Student Housing Services offers a limited number of apartments in a Hale Wainani low-rise for Graduate and Family Housing. Graduate and Family Housing will be available in one and two bedroom units located in the low-rise apartment buildings.
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Thanks so much! That web site was a total lifesaver! Pricing and Pictures YES PLEASE! I've been poking around their site for days but this cleared it all up. Thanks again everyone

Comment

Working...
            X