Hoaloha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoaloha

Friends. I took some friends to the airport yesterday for their flight to Hawai'i. I live about a mile south of the flight pattern for Lindbergh Field so I can easily see and of course hear all the flights leaving. 99% turn either north or south, only a few go straight west: Hawaiian, United, and Alaskan. I tracked them on Flight Tracker, they were 27 minutes late getting off but made up that time by landing in Honolulu, and then it was off to Maui where they are staying in a nice condo in Kihei. It was cloudy yesterday morning and they took off a bit farther north than usual so there was no chance they saw me waving to them from the deck. The San Diego Airport has been in the same location since something like 1927, it was way out in the sticks back then but the city has grown around it since, I love it there because it is so convenient, only a 10 minute drive. People are always talking about relocating it, I hope they never do, some of the ideas are so insane...stick it 100 miles out in the desert and run a high speed rail to it, yeah, right through the 5000 ft. mountain range. Or share with Tijuana's airport, which Mexico has zero interest in doing, or kick out the Marines from Miramar or the Navy from North Island and nobody really wants that. So it will probably stay right where it is. A lot of people, when they come to San Diego, call it a paradise. They need to get out more. Oh it is real nice compared to places like Bakersfield or Cleveland or Buffalo, but...a paradise? No, save that word for Hawai'i. Which granted has its problems but it is still way prettier with more congenial climate than anywhere on the mainland. Aloha

Re: Hoaloha

Roger that!
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I thought my husband was the only one to wave at people on planes!
      Visit me at Hawaii Vacation Guide

Comment

The friends return tonight. So Cal will welcome them from sunny, warm Hawai'i with our traditional May Gray: cool gloomy foggy skies and today, drizzle. Lovely. It goes on for weeks. Sometimes months. Actually from Vancouver to Baja, within a mile of the coast the weather is often very similar during the Spring and early Summer: gloom.

Hawaiian used to fly a red eye from Honolulu to San Diego. I'd be out on the deck sucking down the morning coffee and there'd be this unusually bright star low over the horizon. It wouldn't seem to move so it couldn't be a jet, yet it was so low in the sky no star would be that bright. And then if you looked long enough it moved, and the closer it got the faster it moved. They must have turned on the landing lights about 90 miles out. I bet it looks unbelievably cool from the cockpit of a jet flying over the ocean at night on a moonless night, probably amazing star views. From the passenger compartment you can easily see other jets coming and going. In the many trips over to Hawai'i we have seen only one ship way out at sea. Its possible I may be going over fairly soon.

Comment

Working...
        X