Airport Duty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airport Duty

Tomorrow night I pick up friends who have been in Hawai'i for a bit over 3 weeks, and have as you'd expect enjoyed every minute of it. O'ahu for a few days including some business, then the Big Island for a little more business and some nice times at the Hapuna resort. Aah, How I remember body surfing Hapuna. Then on to Maui where they have been for about 2 weeks. It is always so sad leaving Hawai'i. I have seen people crying in the Honolulu airport. Like being cast out of paradise. Back to...Cleveland? I talked with a woman on a flight from Kona to Honolulu once, she was on her way back to New York. Yes, in a matter of only a few hours she would be riding the dirty stinking noisy subways then walking snowy icy streets. No warm, moist trade winds, no swaying palm fronds, no air scented with, as that song so nicely phrases it, a million flowers. Even driving the streets of Honolulu, you are not going to get it a lot, but you will sometimes get the scent of lovely flowers. After driving LA, San Diego, & Bay Area freeways for decades the very idea of being bathed in sweet fragrance is mind blowing. There is so much wonderful about Hawai'i. One of my very favorites is being able to go in the ocean any day of the year. You do not need to "get used to it", you do not need a wetsuit, you just hop in, February its as nice as August. The water did hit 80 once here, it was filthy and murky, obviously that is not the case in Hawai'i. I am sure you can find filthy murky water there, its just so much easier to here. Aah well, soon my friends will be home. Even now that sadness is embracing them. Its just something you have to do, kind of like having an operation.

Re: Airport Duty

I've cried all three times as the plane was taking off until I could no longer see the island but no one ever asked me why...
    If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Re: Airport Duty

Travel is such a trip! haha

No truly it is bittersweet dropping folks off at the airport... but picking up? YeeHaw!

Then there's our own personal travel where there's excitement, wonder of the destination, and of course hope the plane makes it.
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
      X