Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do locals feel about visitors or people moving from the mainland?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do locals feel about visitors or people moving from the mainland?

Paul, you must have missed this thread about the Radford incident.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      Paul, you must have missed this thread about the Radford incident.

Yeah I'm a newbie here. Perhaps I should'nt have posted on such a controversial topic but I wasn't going to tell Junebloom about the tourism industry created image of Hawaii, being a "melting pot" where all races get along in perfect peace and harmony.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
        I wasn't going to tell Junebloom about the tourism industry created image of Hawaii, being a "melting pot" where all races get along in perfect peace and harmony.

for years now, the tourism industry amplifies and "packages" for their own purposes, what we have here as distinctly different ways of living and relating on the islands. Concepts such as what is now known as "the aloha spirit"... and "ohana" (no child get left behind, as the disney corp. has it...)

I have been here most all my life but spent years now and then on the mainland and I can tell ya; it may not be "perfect peace and harmony" among all differing races, but the situation here is a damned sight better and more mellow than much of the mainland.
        Last edited by kimo55; June 28, 2005, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          for years noiw, the tourism industry amplifies and "packages" for their own purposes, what we have here as distinctly different ways of living and relating on the islands. Concepts such as what is now known as "the aloha spirit"... and "ohana" (no child get left behind, as the disney corp. has it...)

I have been here most all my life but spent years now and then on the mainland and I can tell ya; it may not be "perfect peace and harmony" among all differing races, but the situation here is a damned sight better and more mellow than much of the mainland.
          True, as I read in the other thread, people in Hawaii have always joked around with stereotypes and it has all been in fun. It's only recently that it has become offensive. We can make jokes about Filipinos eating black dog but the minute we use the words fried chicken and watermelon in association with African American, we get in big trouble.

Comment

hmmm maybe this thread has gotten out of hand.
            I initially posted it to learn, but it seems to kind of gone the subject of racism.
            Is it possible to maybe give the outlooks of the locals have on tourist or people moving from the mainland to Hawaii?

Is the outlook that tourists and mainlander's are invading their land?

Also I was trying to understand the feelings toward negative feelings toward haoles. Ive read the past threads and researched the history of hawaii. My understanding is that Caucasions/Haoles/mainlanders have forcefully taken over hawaii trying to change their culture?
            is this the correct thinking? please correct me if i am wrong, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by meanoharm
              My understanding is that Caucasions/Haoles/mainlanders have forcefully taken over hawaii trying to change their culture?
              is this the correct thinking? please correct me if i am wrong, thanks
              well, I see it this way, tho others may say there is no 'correct thinking' only differing perspectives and opinions and points of view.

Comment

Kimo, your awesome, thank you. haha you responded to my question.
                you seem to be outgoing and truthful, and I respect that. thanks

by the way i like your name

Comment

Originally posted by meanoharm
                  you seem to be outgoing and truthful, and I respect that. thanks

I am actually very shy and introverted. But when i see a social injustice or imbalance I gotta raise hell.
                  (so; where do YOU stand on Jimmy Buffet?!
                  nananah jezz keeding!)

Comment

Well, first of all let me apologize for lighting a spark so to speak. It's just that I hear so much about other races experiences in Hawaii I was just wondering would I have to face a lot of racial injustice. I'm from the south so it's not like I haven't dealt with it before. But it's not like how it use to be hear black people really are less tolerant of racism and can pretty much hold their own. I must say I am a little disappointed that this goes on in Hawaii. I was really excited about the hype that people are close and stories that newcomers are welcome by fruit being placed at the door as a sign of extending a hand of friendship in the local neighborhoods. But pretty much what I am hearing here is that Hawaii has it's share of radial prejudice just like everywhere else. I did read some of the articles that were suggested. You know Blacks and Hawaiians have some what in common dealing with
                    our ancestrial backgrounds you think about it no punt intended to anyone . GOD wants all races to get along but anyway thank you so much for the input. You all have given me what seems to be a more realistic perspective.
                    Thank You
                    Last edited by junebloom; June 28, 2005, 04:14 PM.
                    www.myspace.com/cc_splace http://www.heavenlyrainbows.blogspot.com

Comment

I got no problems with that. If anything its when people from the mainland (caucasian or not) bring the attitude with them. Over here, it's not "all about me" as much as there... but yeah it's getting there and I wouldn't put the blame on incoming mainlanders for that.

This is coming from a non-haole, non-Hawaiian "local"...

Comment

Originally posted by junebloom
                        But GOD wants all races to get along
                        ... and Rodney King.

Comment

Okay Rodney king
                          www.myspace.com/cc_splace http://www.heavenlyrainbows.blogspot.com

Comment

our ancestrial backgrounds you think about it no punt intended to anyone .
                            (??????)

GOD wants all races to get along
                            could be... but since captain cook, the gods are pretty pissed at da haoles.

Comment

Well, first of all let me apologize for lighting a spark so to speak. It's just that I hear so much about other races experiences in Hawaii I was just wondering would I have to face a lot of racial injustice. I'm from the south so it's not like I haven't dealt with it before. But it's not like how it use to be hear black people really are less tolerant of racism and can pretty much hold their own. I must say I am a little disappointed that this goes on in Hawaii. I was really excited about the hype that people are close and stories that newcomers are welcome by fruit being placed at the door as a sign of extending a hand of friendship in the local neighborhoods. But pretty much what I am hearing here is that Hawaii has it's share of radial prejudice just like everywhere else. I did read some of the articles that were suggested. You know Blacks and Hawaiians have some what in common dealing with
                              our ancestrial backgrounds you think about it no punt intended to anyone . GOD wants all races to get along but anyway thank you so much for the input. You all have given me what seems to be a more realistic perspective.
                              Thank You
                              June, no apologies needed. You asked and we told.

I'd love to say that black people don't face prejudice here but it's not true. And it's not just from white folks; Asians (like my family) are just as guilty. You'd think we'd know better from being discriminated against in the past ourselves, but apparently not. But I think that as others have said here before, if you come expecting prejudice, you'll find it. If you come expecting a warm welcome, well, you'll find that too.

Comment

Xenophobia is caused not so much by ignorance as by fear of someone different from you. Most of the Black Americans who reside in Hawai'i are in the military, which brings along with it its own set of problems. I think the locals don't mind Black American tourists because after they spend all their money, they go back to wherever they came from.

If someone you don't know doesn't speak like you or look like you, your immediate instinct is going to be not to trust that person. However, once you get to know that person, the fear goes away, and at the very least, you tolerate that person. So locals have to at least be willing to try to understand the newcomers and tourists rather than automatically discount all of them as being bad. I mean, there are "bad" apples everywhere.

It would be nice if in Hawai'i the discrimination was against individuals who act badly and not a whole race or culture. That would make Hawai'i a whole lot more civilized than anywhere else in the US.

Miulang
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X