Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do locals feel about visitors or people moving from the mainland?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How do locals feel about visitors or people moving from the mainland?

Originally posted by Miulang
    Unfortunately, most "traditional locals" don't have much time to relax. They're working 2 or 3 jobs just to stay on top of their bills and other living expenses. When they can find the time, they usually hang out at the beach with their families because that's still free. And not everybody surfs and nobody lives in grass shacks anymore. Some people do still use outhouses, though. Kids like the same music that mainland kids do; older people like Hawaiian music.

Miulang
    I appreciate your response.
    I have heard that living in Hawaii is very exspensive and it is very hard to find a job. I wish the best for all of ya.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
      thankfully we don't have an appreciation for gangsta-rap as they do on the mainland and thankfully neither do we have the resultant packs of yout' tryin ta emulate the thug life like over yonder.
      Here, it's more of a Jawaiian thing and hip hop (No, not bunny music) is big. Then we grow up.
      kimo,
      I grew up in a urban area on the mainalnd, but I dont emulate the "thug" life, I would rather listen to bob marley, relaxation and positive outlook is the best for me.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
        To me that's local. And of course being local means you can understand what Larry Price is saying the first time around. Who? Well if you don't know who Larry Price is, then you ain't local.
        I am very appreciative of your discriptive response, thank you very much.:]

Comment

Where's meanoharm from? If I may ask.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
            Where's meanoharm from? If I may ask.
            Yes; it would help if you gave us a little background on where you're coming from, meanoharm.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
              Yes; it would help if you gave us a little background on where you're coming from, meanoharm.
              Im not sure what your asking when you say background, Im a haole who grew up in St. Louis, Missouri, I originally started this thread to learn more about the Hawaiian culture.
              I have been interested in Polynesian cultures for a little while now, I think that their culture and history are interesting. I chose Hawaii, because I am from the US and because of the diverse cultures "melting pot" that make up its population.

Comment

The crux of the whole haole vs hawaiian thing is intelligence. The hawaiians that dont want the Haole in hawaii are the ignorant ones, that you dont want to associate with anyway. They perceive anyone who speaks with some intelligence as someone showing off. Frustration sets in, because the local feels inferior and either gives up or threatens them. Intimidation is the only weapon dumb people have. As for the educated ones (trask sisters) there is no excuse. Both of them should remember that their last name is that of ONE HAOLE.

Comment

Originally posted by kimohalliway
                  The crux of the whole haole vs hawaiian thing is intelligence. The hawaiians that dont want the Haole in hawaii are the ignorant ones, that you dont want to associate with anyway. They perceive anyone who speaks with some intelligence as someone showing off. Frustration sets in, because the local feels inferior and either gives up or threatens them. Intimidation is the only weapon dumb people have. As for the educated ones (trask sisters) there is no excuse. Both of them should remember that their last name is that of ONE HAOLE.
                  The kanaka maoli have their own reasons for feeling the way they do (especially about the government) and it's not fair for any NON kanaka maoli to say that the reason they feel the way they do is out of ignorance. The kanaka maoli are not dumb. If they were, how could they have survived the long canoe trip across the Pacific Ocean from Kahiki, with no modern navigation to guide them? Could the resentment of caucasians (especially the ones not born and bred in the islands) be because of the lack of respect some of them have toward the locals?

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by kimohalliway
                    Umm... are you saying that "if a Hawaiian doesn't want haole in Hawai'i, then they're ignorant"? Then you're also saying, contrapositively, that "if a Hawaiian is not ignorant, then they do want haole in Hawai'i". I dunno about that.

Ignorant does not mean you're dumb. Educated doesn't mean you aren't.

Comment

It seems that the outlook of haole's is different for different individuals.

but from the majority of responses I have:
                      basically im getting that haole's are not wanted in Hawaii?
                      and the outlook is that the Hawaiian's life would be better without Haole's?

is this correct?

Comment

Originally posted by meanoharm

is this correct?
                        No, I think it's more like: "Come and visit us as much as you want, spend all your money and then go back home." But then again, this is the same sentiment you would hear from citizens of any overcrowded city or places where rapid growth is anathema.

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

is this correct?
                          Sigh. You're not getting it.

Look, if you're from Missouri, then try go find a Shawnee or a Cherokee person and ask him the same kind of questions: Are white people wanted in America? Would the Indians' lives be better without white people? You'll get the same spectrum of answers, from those who wish they could turn the clock back and keep the land for the natives, to those who point out that it was probably inevitable, to those whose lives are so deeply entwined with white people that there is no way of saying yes or no.

Comment

Look????

well if it was your intention to turn me away from asking questions and learning about your culture, you have succeeded.

Comment

Look????

well if it was your intention to turn me away from asking questions and learning about your culture, you have succeeded.
                              <shrug> OK. Have a nice day anyway.

Comment

Dang I can't get the "Lets Go Fishing" theme song out of my head now.

Comment

Working...
                                X