Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: moving to oahu. need advice.

Originally posted by Stephen
    One thing you might want to consider - the Big Island. I believe Glen lives there and could offer you some good advice - it's no where near as populous, is huge in land mass comparison and should still offer job opportunities. Good luck!
    Nope, I'm in Honolulu -- it's Craig that's over on the Big Island.

Comment

Re: From Palm Springs California. Hello.

Originally posted by Miulang
      shoot for Hawaii Kai or Kahala. Crime is lower in those areas.
      whuwhuwhuuuhuhuuuu! miulang knows not what evil lurks in my neighborhood...

Comment

One thing you might want to consider - the Big Island.
        - it's no where near as populous, is huge in land mass comparison and should still offer job opportunities.

you keep this up, Dear Abby, and it won't be for long!

Comment

Glen - imagine Homer Simpson, DOH! A thousand apologies!

Kimo - Isn't Honolulu in O'ahu - not the Big Isle - just trying to steer a haole away from the gathering place!

Comment

Glen - imagine Homer Simpson, DOH! A thousand apologies!

Kimo - Isn't Honolulu in O'ahu - not the Big Isle - just trying to steer a haole away from the gathering place!

i hear kansas is nice. corn fields, lonely scarecrows... gumbo and mustard... cheaper... go there.. yea that's the ticket...
            Last edited by kimo55; July 21, 2005, 10:20 PM.

Comment

it won't be easy...but if you've got the gumption and the muster, there are ways to make it work...hell, i'm still here...
              Don't be mean,
              try to help.

Comment

Re: From Palm Springs California. Hello.

I think you and your family would be very disappointed if you moved to Waipahu or Waianae.
                Keep in mind this is the opinion of someone who lives on the mainland and primarily visits Maui - not Oahu.

Waipahu and Waianae are definitely not Palm Springs. But you can still find a nice place to live and get along with your neighbors if you've got the right attitude.

Unless you've got the money. Then go for Hawaii Loa Ridge. And buy something with a guest house so I can rent it from you.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub
                  it won't be easy...but if you've got the gumption and the muster, there are ways to make it work...hell, i'm still here...
                  One big difference between you and Aaron, Jaime, is that you're single. You're your own free agent. Aaron has a family with kids, which is going to make it a whole lot harder to survive.

In fact, if I was the one moving to a new town and I had school age kids, I'd want to check out the schools in the neighborhood to see what the student population is comprised of and what their achievement scores were. If you want the best for your kids, you don't put them in a school which has lower academic standards, and in Hawai'i especially, where there's a lot of subtle antagonism if you're from the Mainland, you certainly don't want to set your kids up to fail (oh gomen...I meant "to have their academic futures deferred"). The other option is private school, which is pricey. So make sure you check out the schools in any area you are thinking of living in, Aaron. Your kids will thank you later.

Miulang
                  Last edited by Miulang; July 22, 2005, 06:01 AM.
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Kimo - Gumbo is Awesome! You've got to love the Cajuns for coming up with Gumbo - shrimp, sausage, chicken, if it weren't 100' outside, I'd go home and make some.

Comment

Kansas and gumbo...what an odd combo. Didn't realize many Cajuns lived in Kansas, but they do have Cajun restaurants in KC (link to recipe from one of those restaurants). I bet one of the reasons they eat gumbo in KS is because they can grow okra so easily, and there ain't many ways of cooking okra that are palatable (the only other way I know is to deep fry the stuff).

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Moving to Oahu - Need Advice

Thank you every one for your help. I really do appreciate it and I am extremely grateful.

Comment

I suggest you take a gander at the Advertiser classifieds. Look under "Unfurnished Apts". Then click on any section of Oahu. How many apartments do you see for rent? (the ads only come out on Sunday for those of us on the Mainland). Nada and nada again at ANY price.
                          Yeah, but "unfurnished" means there's no fridge, stove, or anything. I'd suggest instead that they look under "Partly Furnished" like most folks do.

What's been happening is for every available apartment, there are at least 3 or 4 people bidding on it, so even $2k a month might not get you a closet. Sad but true.
                          I think you meant to say 30 or 40 bidders, not 3 or 4.
                          I know of one place on the rental market recently at $750. It was an 8' x 15' single room. Not a typo. 8' x 15'. I've seen larger walk-in closets! It had no kitchen at all. And yes, they had at least a couple of dozen lookers in the first few days.
                          Things are even worse right now, as all the mainlanders coming here for the new college semester are snatching up everything in sight.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Buddy, Try Do Your Self And Family One Good Deed.....
                            If You Think Your Running Away From The Problem
                            In Orange, Then You Better Be Prepared If Your Thinking Of
                            Moving To The Areas Your Thinking Of......

This Is Not A Good Move..... Period..... Okay Den..nuff Sed.....
                            bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

okey. ill stay. thanx.

Comment

Good luck in finding a rental on the Big Island, at least from the West Hawaii perspective.
                                Another thought, your kids are still young, so you are in luck that you have time to check out the SCHOOLS before they are old enough to attend. THAT is one of the major problems in many areas of the state, the public school system sucks. (No implications about the teachers in this statement, as it is the DOE that is dysfunctional.) Check out the test ratings of the schools when deciding where to live, or count on adding private school tuition to your budget. The longer children are in the Hawaii school system, the further the behind they fall. Compare the 3rd grade scores to the 10 grade scores.
                                Don't let us scare you off, just do your homework so you don't face unnecessary disappointments and problems.
                                Last edited by admin; July 23, 2005, 04:36 PM. Reason: Fix link to file.

Comment

Working...
                                X