Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Moving to Oahu on August 15th.

Originally posted by mpv81
    Hey Kimo I understand that your upset with people moving to where you're at, but it is absolutely annoying to hear
    hey, welcome to retribution city.
    have a lil taste of the yer own medicine. Don''t get me started on what annoys kama'aina re; implants like yerself.

Comment

Yes, don't get Kimo started. He goes off on his own quite well enough.

Mpv81, I encourage you to be open to all kinds of answers, including those you don't want to hear. There are other "moving to Hawaii" message boards, but if they're full of "go for it" cheerleaders who only tell one side of the story, they're not going to help you prepare for all aspects of a relocation. I will concede that people have been less welcoming than I'd like, but that's the Internet for you. It takes all kinds.

That said, if there are people whom you've learned have nothing of interest to say, I encourage you to take advantage of the "Ignore User" feature of this forum software. It has improved the talkstory experience for many of our community members.

Whether there's a threshold as far as "more ignorers than readers" for a particular user (or a more prominent use of our Reputation system) has yet to be seen.

Comment

Hey Kimo I understand that your upset with people moving to where you're at, but it is absolutely annoying to hear you constanly complain about people that you don't even know. Do you feel like you're the only one who deserves to live in a beautiful place? I'm not coming there to take your land or your culture; in fact you can do whatever you would like. I'm not buying your land to use as vacation property ...
        Kimo? A landowner?

Haaaa ha ha ha ha haaaaa!

Eh! Kimo! You got land you nevah tell me about?

Hoo haaa haa!
        <wiping away tears>

Comment

Originally posted by KimosWahine
          Eh! Kimo! You got land you nevah tell me about?

Hoo haaa haa!
          <wiping away tears>

yea, you goin' cry when you realize you ain't gettin none of it either!

Comment

I understand that I should hear both sides but Kimo never has anything positive to say. He's not offering any useful advice, he's just ripping on people that aren't born there. Why would somebody spend so much time on this site just making fun of people and complaining about life ? Why not just get off the computer, go outside, and enjoy life. Oh well; guess some people get off making other people feel stupid or bad.

Miulang thanks for the advice (sincerely not sarcastically); like I said I totally understand what your talking about but when I mention Jack Johnson or Kelly Slater remember that they were transplants at one time as well. As for me and my girlfriend; we're not going there with a time frame in mind, maybe we'll stay 'til we die, maybe we'll move in two months. We just wanna give it a shot. What's wrong with that if we don't disrupt life out there? It's not like I'm gonna build a Wal-Mart.
            Last edited by mpv81; July 24, 2005, 07:32 AM.

Comment

OK, here's another take on the malihini thing: You said you lived in El-A and Atlanta. So you know about traffic jams and crowded living. I dunno if where you've lived there have been lots of non-Caucasians or not, but in Hawai'i you WILL be part of the minority, and the majority of people can trace their ancestry back to Asia (either Japan, China, the Philippines). Think of your experience as being in a foreign country (because at one time Hawai'i was a sovereign nation) and live and act accordingly. Then you'll get along just fine with the populace.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I understand that I should hear both sides but Kimo never has anything positive to say. He's not offering any useful advice, he's just ripping on people that aren't born there. Why would somebody spend so much time on this site just making fun of people and complaining about life ? Why not just get off the computer, go outside, and enjoy life. Oh well; guess some people get off making other people feel stupid or bad.

Miulang thanks for the advice (sincerely not sarcastically); like I said I totally understand what your talking about but when I mention Jack Johnson or Kelly Slater remember that they were transplants at one time as well. As for me and my girlfriend; we're not going there with a time frame in mind, maybe we'll stay 'til we die, maybe we'll move in two months. We just wanna give it a shot. What's wrong with that if we don't disrupt life out there? It's not like I'm gonna build a Wal-Mart.
                It was a whole lot easier for college kids to come from the Mainland to Hawai'i in the 60s and 70s...before the rapid influx of Mainlanders. I'm just sorry that you're too young to have been around then. That's when Hawai'i was really a golden place to live and the majority of locals were a whole lot more welcoming. With the way things are going for the State now, it's not hard to understand why there's so much antagonism over newcomers. When there's a scarcity, people go into survival mode. That's what you're hearing now...people who are frustrated by what they're seeing happen to the place they were born in. There is no other place in the country where you will find people who have had to move from Hawai'i for economic reasons call themselves "expatriates". I mean, as a former Californian, would you call yourself an expatriate? See what I mean? That's the difference. Many people in Hawai'i are living lives of quiet desperation because they have to work 2 or 3 jobs just to provide for their families and they really have no other choice. Good luck and stay cool.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I definitely see what your saying Muilang. Lucky for me Atlanta is like 65% African-American and L.A. is of course 60 something percent hispanic. I've dealt with being the minority before, and I've dealt with the racism (a surprising amount of which comes from African Americans toward caucasians in ATL) that is ever-present in the south (now more in underlying tones than out in the open). I wish I could have experienced Hawaii in the 60's as well (Actually in the 50's when young surfers were just going out there to rip the North Shore for the first time.) You've been very helpful and actually have made me feel better about heading out there; because I understand both sides of it, and your analogy of living in ATL and LA made me realize that I've been living as a minority pretty much my whole life anyways. Thanks.

Comment

So me and my girlfriend are moving to Oahu from Atlanta on the 15th of August so she can start school at UH and after reading some of the threads here (one in particular from some ass-hat that wanted to know how he could become "Hawaiian") I definetely would like to hear some people's advice and tips. I'm a haole, but not some pasty-faced schlub; I definetely will never claim to be filled with the aloha spirit (although I do get along with everybody very easily) or have a hawaiian heart, I love to surf (although I rarely got the opportunity while living in atlanta), and I'm just wanting to have a pleasant easy-going life while I'm in Oahu. Please tell me some insider tips so I don't offend anybody. Thanks everyone.

Oh yeah, and I was looking into getting a moped or a scooter to save money on gas. Is that reasonable or should I just go ahead and get a car?
                    There's a difference between just surfing, and surfing in Hawai'i. Few people who have surfed in the continental states realize this fact. In Hawai'i, you not only have to deal with waves, reefs, rips etc that you have never experienced BUT you have to contend with locals who are tired of sharing their lineups with more and more people.

If you're ever on the North Shore and come across local braddahs with "Wolfpak" stickers on their cars or Wolfpak graphichs on their boards, brah, you better find someplace else to surf, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Nalu
                      If you're ever on the North Shore and come across local braddahs with "Wolfpak" stickers on their cars or Wolfpak graphichs on their boards, brah, you better find someplace else to surf, lol.
                      MPV: Nalu's comment is what I was getting at earlier. Not all surf is "free" to everyone, even though technically all beaches and the ocean fronting those beaches are supposed to be owned by the State and open to all comers.

Miulang

Comment

In Hawai'i, you not only have to deal with waves, reefs, rips etc that you have never experienced BUT you have to contend with locals who are tired of sharing their lineups with more and more people.
                        You're kidding, right? That same thing happens in almost every popular surf spot outside of Hawaii. Plenty of news reports about fights and arrests happening that way in countless other areas.
                        To imply that Hawaii is the only place that happens is misleading.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui

azzrite. allll up and down the cali coast, the locals only thing is very strong.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                            You're kidding, right? That same thing happens in almost every popular surf spot outside of Hawaii. Plenty of news reports about fights and arrests happening that way in countless other areas.

I'm not implying that Hawai'i is the only place localism happens out in lineups BUT you have a pretty fair chance of receiving cracks if you are a JOJ haole trying to catch waves at a local break here. Not trying to be racist, just giving braddah a heads up.

Comment

Not trying to be racist, just giving braddah a heads up.

naaah
                              may as well accept it now, and get it over with: everything is racist and politically incorrect...

Comment

There's a difference between just surfing, and surfing in Hawai'i. Few people who have surfed in the continental states realize this fact. In Hawai'i, you not only have to deal with waves, reefs, rips etc that you have never experienced BUT you have to contend with locals who are tired of sharing their lineups with more and more people.

That's a fact of life where ever you surf though. Locals do that to other locals too so it's not a local vs. haole thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X