Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: moving soon

Gumby,
    Have you been BS'ing this whole time? It sounded like a done deal. 500K for some new digs, bringing the Jeeps, and now you're too white? What gives my fellow haole?
    Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen
      Gumby,
      Have you been BS'ing this whole time? It sounded like a done deal. 500K for some new digs, bringing the Jeeps, and now you're too white? What gives my fellow haole?
      Stephen
      He all GUMS!!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        I thought any entity that was awarded a federal contract had to abide by the same rules as the federal government?
        I think there are differences between a direct hire and subcontracting. In particular, I seem to recall that there are quotas and requirements when it comes to selecting subcontractors (even in a bid process?) that are primarily minority run. Or something like that. The difference between gender/ethnic/age bias in hiring a person versus hiring a company is negligible to some folks, I suppose, but... I can see how it might make a difference, and give a minority-run company an advantage.

That said, I would find it quite remarkable if a Human Resources department of any organization would outright tell an applicant, "We're looking to boost our minority representation." It may be true, just like how you can presume Hooters prefers hiring women servers, but stating it is just moronic.

In my experience, complaints about "being too {x}" for a job is often projection on the part of the complainer because someone who wasn't {x} was hired.

Comment

no I am not just beating my gums. I already work on the contract at a different location. the contract is for the goverment but I am not a goverment employee. they can and do fill positions in order to meet Goverment requirements for x amount of sex race or minority owned company and depending on what other Gov contracts the company holds its employee make up must meet those quotas so as not to be labled discrimtory. The HR dept did not tell that they are looking into a person of color/race/sex but a close contact in that dept did tell me they are looking in that direction. as per and over heard conversation. she told me this so as not to get to far ahead ofthe process thinking I was a shoe in for the position. The good news is that they pushed the close out date of the job back by a month that will allow me to at least start the rabies shots . if I go or not it wont hurt the dogs or my wallet to much to get shots
          Last edited by Gumby; July 28, 2005, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Gumby,
            Hopefully you'll get lucky and soon be on your way to Hawaii.
            Stephen

Comment

At least your company is up and up with you. Props to you for taking it so well. Some things are just the way they are huh? Well good luck to you... hope everything works out.

Comment

Working...
              X