Puerto Rican Immigration To Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Puerto Rican Immigration To Hawaii

Jomundo: Your grandparents (if they were in the first wave of 56 people from Puerto Rico) landed on Maui. First, they had to travel from NYC to San Francisco and then by boat to Hawaii. In 1901, another group of Puerto Ricans arrived in Hawai'i, probably settling on Kauai. I will keep searching, but here's some kind of dated information on services that I think are probably still provided by the State of Hawai'i which might help you track down your relatives.

There is a good chance that your ancestors never made it to Hawai'i but could have stopped somewhere on the Mainland and settled there, since they did have to travel overland to get to San Francisco. Do you know for sure that they did make it to Hawaii?

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

everybody is immagrating to hawaiKi..
      Ebb And Flow

Comment

everybody is immagrating to hawaiKi..

and i find that quite grating...

Comment

[QUOTE=Miulang]Jomundo: Your grandparents (if they were in the first wave of 56 people from Puerto Rico) landed on Maui. First, they had to travel from NYC to San Francisco and then by boat to Hawaii. In 1901, another group of Puerto Ricans arrived in Hawai'i, probably settling on Kauai. I will keep searching, but here's some kind of dated information on services that I think are probably still provided by the State of Hawai'i which might help you track down your relatives.

There is a good chance that your ancestors never made it to Hawai'i but could have stopped somewhere on the Mainland and settled there, since they did have to travel overland to get to San Francisco. Do you know for sure that they did make it to Hawai

Comment

[QUOTE=Jomundo_d]
            Originally posted by Miulang
            Jomundo: Your grandparents (if they were in the first wave of 56 people from Puerto Rico) landed on Maui. First, they had to travel from NYC to San Francisco and then by boat to Hawaii. In 1901, another group of Puerto Ricans arrived in Hawai'i, probably settling on Kauai. I will keep searching, but here's some kind of dated information on services that I think are probably still provided by the State of Hawai'i which might help you track down your relatives.

There is a good chance that your ancestors never made it to Hawai'i but could have stopped somewhere on the Mainland and settled there, since they did have to travel overland to get to San Francisco. Do you know for sure that they did make it to Hawai
            Miuland: You are right I do not know whether my grandparents ever stopped along the way to California. I can only go by what relatives have told me, that they left for Hawaii and were never heard of again. If they did leave the move along the way, there would be no record of it. The only record (if any) would be of those that did arrive in Hawaii. I, therefore, appreciate any steps you are taking on my behalf. Meanwhile I will search the url you provided.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jomundo_d]
              Originally posted by Jomundo_d

Miuland: You are right I do not know whether my grandparents ever stopped along the way to California. I can only go by what relatives have told me, that they left for Hawaii and were never heard of again. If they did leave the move along the way, there would be no record of it. The only record (if any) would be of those that did arrive in Hawaii. I, therefore, appreciate any steps you are taking on my behalf. Meanwhile I will search the url you provided.
              I have recently learned that a Tomasa S. Rodriguez, resident of Pearl City, Kapolei, Waipahu, and Ewa Beach, died at age 49. Unfortunately I was unable to learn the date of her death. I have also learned that Hunter College, NY has an extensive record of the writings of Blase Camacho Souza, author of "De Borinquen a Hawaii - From Puerto Rico to Hawaii". I have Emailed Hunter college in the hope that they can assist in my quest. Can anyone tell me whether the towns I mentioned above are near each other.

Comment

Can someone tell me whether the towns of Pearl City, Kapolei, Waipahu, and Ewa Beach, are close to each other?

Comment

Can someone tell me whether the towns of Pearl City, Kapolei, Waipahu, and Ewa Beach, are close to each other?
                  They are. If driving ewa on the H-1 the progression is...Pearl City, Waipahu, Ewa Beach, Kapolei. See it HERE. Kapolei doesn't show on that map but it's located before Ko`olina. If the relative you mentioned in a previous post lived in Kapolei then her death is more recent as Kapolei is a fairly new 'city'...since the late 80s, iirc. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Tutusue: Thank you for your geographic information. You can imagine the difficulty of not being familiar with Hawaiian geography when researching the travels of unknown people. I hope we do get an answer about whether or not the death of the person mentioned was recent. Again many thanks.

Comment

I often sit alone in front of this computer wondering how best to impart a bit of information or ask a question others may consider silly. I also wonder who out there is reading my thoughts and whether they may have information to furnish that may be of help. I have been giving and taking information for a few weeks now and wondered whether there are any people out there that find any of the bits of data I have imparted somewhat familiar. Surely there must be others, now living in Hawaii, who have some knowledge of the subject matter I have been discussing. Are there any of you whose ancestors may have traveled the same trips as mine? Are there any of you who may be related to me, no matter how distantly? Does anyone come close to being related to the people I have mentioned herein? Surely there must be someonewho knows something. After all you are there. Please help.

Comment

I often sit alone in front of this computer wondering how best to impart a bit of information or ask a question others may consider silly. I also wonder who out there is reading my thoughts and whether they may have information to furnish that may be of help. I have been giving and taking information for a few weeks now and wondered whether there are any people out there that find any of the bits of data I have imparted somewhat familiar. Surely there must be others, now living in Hawaii, who have some knowledge of the subject matter I have been discussing. Are there any of you whose ancestors may have traveled the same trips as mine? Are there any of you who may be related to me, no matter how distantly? Does anyone come close to being related to the people I have mentioned herein? Surely there must be someonewho knows something. After all you are there. Please help.
                        You're doing the best you can, Jomundo. Is HawaiiThreads the only online forum in which you're searching? I haven't visited the newsgroup, soc.culture.hawaii, in quite awhile so don't know whether or not you've posted there. If not, give it a try. Please do yourself a favor and stay away from alt.culture.hawaii. The former is moderated. The latter isn't...and it shows!

Just keep plugging away. Unfortunately you don't know if, in fact, your relatives reached Hawaii. Or, exactly where they ended up. I'm pretty sure if anyone reading this thread had any more knowledge about your situation they would at least PM you. At least I hope they would. And there's a greater chance that no one in this forum has anymore info than they've already offered.

Good luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                          You're doing the best you can, Jomundo. Is HawaiiThreads the only online forum in which you're searching? I haven't visited the newsgroup, soc.culture.hawaii, in quite awhile so don't know whether or not you've posted there. If not, give it a try. Please do yourself a favor and stay away from alt.culture.hawaii. The former is moderated. The latter isn't...and it shows!
                          Again tutusue i am beholden to you. I will try your suggestions. Sometimes a new outlook is helpful, I thank uou for yours.

Comment

I believe my grandfathher's name was Rafael Rodriguez. My gramdmother's maiden name was Tomasa Juarbe. If they were alive today the would be over 100 years old, so I doubt their longevity. I am not sure about my grandfather's first name but his last name was definitely Rodriguez.
                            Howzit Jomundo, have you had any more luck with finding any information on your search? Send me a PM. I have been into genealogy for about 15 years. Wouldn't mind helping you out.
                            List of local people living on the mainland

Never forgotten

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/pomai44/pow.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai44
                              Howzit Jomundo, have you had any more luck with finding any information on your search? Send me a PM. I have been into genealogy for about 15 years. Wouldn't mind helping you out.
                              Its going slow, but steady POMAI. I was hoping to find any info on the last names Rodriguez and Juarbe. It is customary in Puerto Rico for children to carry both last names. Hence my mother's maiden name was Hermenegilda Rodriguez-Juarbe. If my granparents had children in Hawaii, the same naming habit may have continued. Just thought I would give you this bit of information to help anyone in the search.

Comment

I recently received a private message requesting information that has nothing to do with the spirit and meaning of my search. I got the feeling that the author of the request had an ulterior motive. I did not like the request because it made me feel uncomfortable and the answers were not the business of the messages author. I feel that I have already furnished more information than I should have. I, therefore, am making this my last entry to this forum. My thanks to those of you who sincerely tried to help.

Comment

Working...
                                X