Thinking of moving to the Big Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thinking of moving to the Big Island

In Asia you show respect for others, not flap your jaw just to hear your own voice.

That's why corruption is institutional in Asia AND Hawaii. Lot's of folks wouldn't say $hl+ even if they had a mouthful.

Where I was raised, you question authority. You pull the covers off. You expose the idiots for what they represent.

Most of all, you show respect ONLY to those who demonstrate a clearly deserving wisdom not couched in expectations, but rather results.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
      In Asia you show respect for others, not flap your jaw just to hear your own voice.

That's why corruption is institutional in Asia AND Hawaii. Lot's of folks wouldn't say $hl+ even if they had a mouthful.

Where I was raised, you question authority. You pull the covers off. You expose the idiots for what they represent.

Most of all, you show respect ONLY to those who demonstrate a clearly deserving wisdom not couched in expectations, but rather results.
      I question authority too, but I also LISTEN and don't just think my way is the only way. It's NEVER that black and white. Don't talk about corruption in Asia and Hawai'i. What about the White House, big business and Congress????? Mostly white folk, eh?

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Mahi Waina
        If part of your redneck culture includes saying "Honey, get me another Mai-Tai" while slapping the waitress's okole, then 'Boy, yo in a heap a' trouble!'

Tutusue may volunteer to be your friendly, neighborhood karmic agent.
        Tutusue, K.A. I like the sound of that! Maybe can be a tv series someday! Of course, K.A. usually stands for sumthin' else but, hey, so what!!!

Seriously...I don't and won't bemoan anyone's 'culture', redneck or otherwise. However if there is a 'cultural' behavior that just won't fly in Hawaii...redneck is one of 'em.

Comment

My husband and I moved here to Puna from Oklahoma in Dec. and we are building a home. We sold our home there and everything, turned over the family business to the kids, said our goodbyes, gave away the dog, and took off to ship our truck and fly to Hawaii from Cal. I hate it here. What a mistake. I am just glad we did not drag any kids here..they are grown up. I can't wait to get back to Oklahoma...we have to finish our house and wait a year to sell because we are owner builders...then we are gone! I am just being brutally honest so sorry if I offend anyone. Too many of us come visit Hawaii then get the "aloha spirit" and feel like we gotta move here. Paradise isnt paradise if you have to be far from kids and grandkids also. Nice place to visit but now I know not to live.
          '

Comment

Originally posted by NancyF
            My husband and I moved here to Puna from Oklahoma in Dec. and we are building a home. We sold our home there and everything, turned over the family business to the kids, said our goodbyes, gave away the dog, and took off to ship our truck and fly to Hawaii from Cal. I hate it here. What a mistake. I am just glad we did not drag any kids here..they are grown up. I can't wait to get back to Oklahoma...we have to finish our house and wait a year to sell because we are owner builders...then we are gone! I am just being brutally honest so sorry if I offend anyone. Too many of us come visit Hawaii then get the "aloha spirit" and feel like we gotta move here. Paradise isnt paradise if you have to be far from kids and grandkids also. Nice place to visit but now I know not to live.
            '
            Thank you for your honesty, Nancy. Hawai'i most definitely isn't for everyone as you have discovered and no offense is taken. I hope you can nonetheless try to make a go of living in Puna for the year you know you have to stay there and I also hope you're able to make a profit on that new house of yours when it comes time to sell it. You moved to paradise and found paradise lacking. At least you will never have to wonder what it would have been like if...and you can always visit WITH your family again someday!

Good luck,
            Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks I just felt I needed to express my feelings to those who are trying to move here away from family and familiar things on the mainland..some need a reality jolt. And since I have been here, I have met many wonderful people. People are the same everywhere and for people moving here thinking that locals are so different, they are not. They are trying to make a living, have a home, raise familys, try to help in their communities, raise good kids. Yes we will be able to sell our home and make a good profit but I must admit, I hate the way it is pushing home ownership out of the reach of so many local familys with all the builders coming here to build and sell at a high price. I feel like telling them..."Heh come back to Oklahoma with us and get a great home at a great price, low prices on other stuff" ..but then they would be moving from their friends and family and familiar stuff..

Comment

Originally posted by Hekele
                She said “No matter what you look like, how tall you are (some of us are really tall) whether your hair is curly or straight, the color of your skin or perhaps they don’t like your accent. There will always be someone who won’t like you. They may call you names, and may slap you with hatred, but that’s okay Just stand up tall, be proud, and kill’em with kindness, and in the end you will be victorious.

Don’t you just love those wise Grandmas.J
                I love your Grandma's advice. I went ahead and copied it for my 14 yr. old daughter to read and learn from.

I had lived here back in the late 70s and then moved to Texas for 20+ years. My heart and soul was always back here in Hawaii. I came back several times to vacation and visit school and work friends. Then my sister and her family moved here in 2000 (her husband is military). I convinced my husband and my reluctant (then 10 year old daughter) to move here in 2002 after I came for a visit and got a couple of job offers. My daughter moved here in 2002 as well and hubby stayed behind to sell our home. He had a job waiting for him in 2003. My daughter is dark skinned with black hair and brown eyes so she was able to blend in with many of her public school classmates. She got hooked on spam musubi, sushi, mochi crunch in her popcorn, li hing, shave ice, etc. in no time. Like any 10 yr. old, however, she missed her friends back in Texas and could only talk about moving back to Texas for the first year she was here. I'm not sure if her adjustment to the move would have been any different if she was blonde and fair skinned. She is in special ed and I can honestly say that the public schools here have accomodated her with much more support than the public school which she went to in Texas. Yes, the school buildings are deteriorated and the books are old but nearly all the teachers she's had have been excellent and dedicated to the students. To anyone considering the move here, your own attitude and openness is key to adjusting.

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy
                  I love your Grandma's advice. I went ahead and copied it for my 14 yr. old daughter to read and learn from.

I had lived here back in the late 70s and then moved to Texas for 20+ years. My heart and soul was always back here in Hawaii. I came back several times to vacation and visit school and work friends. Then my sister and her family moved here in 2000 (her husband is military). I convinced my husband and my reluctant (then 10 year old daughter) to move here in 2002 after I came for a visit and got a couple of job offers. My daughter moved here in 2002 as well and hubby stayed behind to sell our home. He had a job waiting for him in 2003. My daughter is dark skinned with black hair and brown eyes so she was able to blend in with many of her public school classmates. She got hooked on spam musubi, sushi, mochi crunch in her popcorn, li hing, shave ice, etc. in no time. Like any 10 yr. old, however, she missed her friends back in Texas and could only talk about moving back to Texas for the first year she was here. I'm not sure if her adjustment to the move would have been any different if she was blonde and fair skinned. She is in special ed and I can honestly say that the public schools here have accomodated her with much more support than the public school which she went to in Texas. Yes, the school buildings are deteriorated and the books are old but nearly all the teachers she's had have been excellent and dedicated to the students. To anyone considering the move here, your own attitude and openness is key to adjusting.
                  Just goes to show a building and books do not make a school! Some of the best schools are where you can sit on the grass and have the sky as your ceiling. How ‘s the old saying “Ugly on the outside, beauty within” In our Washington school district we have the opposite “Beauty on the outside, ugly within:” All new buildings, but in the classroom it is a completely different story. It is not the poor teacher’s fault; they have too much on their plate as it is. On top of everything else now they have the WASL to contend with. EEK! Hence, we now have 60,000 + home school families mostly secular, which is a big change in the last 5or 6 years and the districts are now scrambling on ways to entice these families back for the FTE’s they are loosing.

When I was in grade school, I attended a school in Texas for a short time. All that I remember is that when the teacher did roll call she would also use the time to call the kids up for the paddle (it was about a foot long with holes drilled in it) in alphabetical order of course, for various very small infractions. As I was the last person to be called according to my name, it was always agonizing to watch the 15 or so kids get paddled before me, wondering if my name would be called (as I had been caught skipping in the hall the day before).

On one fine day, this kid whose last name began with W was called up to the front of the classroom, he bravely bent over grabbed his ankles (as how it was done, back in the day) and whoosh went the paddle! That paddle broke on his hard okole, and through the tears a big smile appeared and on that day a hero was made and the paddle was no more! Thankfully we moved shortly there after, I am sure she had her husband make another one J
                  ( That is what I remember of the Texas school district!

I am so happy that your daughter is adjusting well in her new environment, as the pre-teen years and teen years can be difficult. I have a friend who has 9 daughters she says that the age of 15 was the most difficult with all of her girls. I have a 13yr old daughter; she has been home schooled for the past 7 years and has been very active in scouts and volunteering, so I expect she will do the same when we arrive. We like to blue water sail so we will continue to home school, there is nothing like having the world as your classroom! Do you have any regrets in moving to Hawaii ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hekele
                    I am so happy that your daughter is adjusting well in her new environment, as the pre-teen years and teen years can be difficult. I have a friend who has 9 daughters she says that the age of 15 was the most difficult with all of her girls. I have a 13yr old daughter; she has been home schooled for the past 7 years and has been very active in scouts and volunteering, so I expect she will do the same when we arrive. We like to blue water sail so we will continue to home school, there is nothing like having the world as your classroom! Do you have any regrets in moving to Hawaii ?
                    I have no regerts that we made the move and bought when we did because I'm not sure that we could afford to buy anything now. I miss having a big house and big yard but that's just "stuff"....and I've found that "stuff" isn't as important to me as it used to be. Lucky that you have been able to home school and that you sail....I've often thought that it would be fun to live on a sailboat and travel around for a while. My daughter has volunteered with us at the Kau Kau Wagon (we feed the homeless every Saturday in Chinatown) for the past 4 years but is now "taking a break". She loses interest easily in activities...most recently she tried paddling but is now "taking a break" from that. At her age, the main interests are friends....music....friends....boys....friends...L OL

Comment

Originally posted by NancyF
                      '
                      Ya know what, Nancy? Hawaii is such a seductive location. My hope is that everyone thinking about moving to Hawaii sees your message. Hawaii isn't for everyone and anyone considering the move should approach it cautiously. Everyone's financial situation is different but, in an ideal world (yah! right!), those considering the move would make an extended visit, rent in the area they think they want to live while hanging on to their mainland 'roots', then after a few months, make a decision. Not terribly practical for most people unfortunately.

A curiosity question...
                      What was your greatest expectation for living in Hawaii...and your greatest letdown? Your answers might help others.

Comment

Aloha,

My best friend (almost my sister,) a native and current resident has been trying to coax me into moving to Hilo. She and I met in Alaska, where I lived for more than six years. I now live in southern Oregon, and I just can't stand it here.

I have been reading this thread and have come to some realizations as well as questions. I am a third generation native San Franciscan. I can't live anywhere within a hundred miles of the city, let alone my beloved Chinatown/North Beach where I grew up. The ".com" boom and massive influx of yuppies have driven most families and native residents from the Bay Area. Since then I have been to several states, cities and towns in the NW. I am homesick beyond words.
                        The cost of Hilo is more than Ashland, Oregon (where I now live) but less than S.F. by a considerable margin.
                        I am tempted to move, but I sense a tone familiar to my own heart in the many posts on this thread. I, too would discourage newcomers from coming to S.F., and encourage the yuppies to leave and let the San Franciscans come home....

I don't want to be an unwelcome transplant, but want to be near my best friend. I can't yet go home, but I can't stand the "culture" (or lack of diversity) of "white" America. As a white girl who grew up with chinese culture, where else can I go? Are all non-natives so unwelcome? I have never been to Hawai'i but I know its my one and only second choice.

I could use some advice, I suppose...
                        "Lay back, relax and look up at the sky.."

Comment

Originally posted by justawhispr

I could use some advice, I suppose...
                          Go for it! Anywhere you go you will meet positive people and negative people. When we lived in Hilo, we made plenty of friends from all cultures.

We grew up in SoCal, and when we moved to the Pacific Northwest, we were shocked at how ignorant and redneck the locals were, and we had to change our license plates in a hurry. I suspect I was poisoned in a Roseburg diner by the Posse Comatitus, because I had long hair. Hell, we even saw KKK marches in Porterville, California.

You sound like you are kind and enlightened, so you will have no problems enjoying the natural beauty and Aloha spirit in Hilo.

Comment

At least go visit your friend and check it out for yourself before deciding one way or another. One thing you will find in Hawai'i is the diversity of people. Another thing is the ocean (a big draw for lots of people). Hilo gets a lot of rain and would be more humid and hot than you're used to. Is the only reason you want to move because of the absence of Asian faces? Or is it also because Ashland is stuck in the middle of nowhere? If you also need a job, Honolulu would be a better bet than the Big Island for job opportunities, unless you want to work in the service industry. And at least you have a "home base" with your friend. Lots of people move to Hawai'i only on a hope and a prayer.

Miulang

Comment

Speaking of Hilo, I wanted to share one of the best experiences I had on my recent trip to Hawaii island over this past Christmas/New Years holiday. I was visiting, along with my wife, sister, father, son and stepson, Hilo for the day. I happened to be standing at the railing of the vista point at "Boiling Pots" in Hilo. A tall elderly gentleman of obvious Japanese descent started telling me that from where we stood you used to be able to see all the pools below but no longer. He expressed the opinion that the six parks guys assigned to this area were negligent in clearing the overgrowth and had been for some years. He then proceeded to tell me about how wonderful Hilo was to live and to encourage me to consider movig here with my clearly haole family. He had lived for fifty years in the same nearby neighborhood. What struck me and the reason why I share this is that he, at eighty years of age felt that Hilo was still a great place to live, work and raise a family. How many times have we heard an older person talk about how good it used to be before the changes that have taken place, whatever those are. I found it inspiring to hear him speak of his home town with not only affection but with real hope for the future and he was kind enough to invite me to join him. His name is Alvin Yoshimoto. I give his name as Hilo is still small townish and maybe someone here knows this fine gentleman as well. Thank you Alvin.
                              Last edited by sinjin; March 14, 2006, 07:23 AM.
                              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I moved here 13 years ago with warm ocean in mind. In the Bay Area, with a good mind and a decent education, I was just another fish in a big ocean full of smarter fish.

Coming to Hawaii was the best thing that ever happened to me. Employers loved me cuz I passed the drug test AND showed up to work on time. Women loved me cuz I had a job and was not abusive. I loved the warm ocean and was in it nearly every day for the first 4-5 years. I got into a few fights early in my stay here (none of which i started), and was very relieved to learn that nobody in Hawaii knew HOW to fight. (compared with N. Cali)

Now I've got my own business, a great wife, a princess daughter, 3 dogs, a house near my favorite beach, and the American Dream.

It's always good to be the shark in a minnow pond.

If you are thinking of coming to Hawaii, and have any kind of skill ie Doctor, Nurse, Lawyer, Indian Chief, then I say go for it. Most especially if you already get into the ocean where you live.
                                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Working...
                                X