UofH Hilo!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UofH Hilo!!

I don't think the rain was that bad in Hilo during my time there but what do expect if you build a city on the north shore of an island in this state.

Only once in my 4 years there that the rain was so heavy they canceled classes at UH Hilo.

One thing I did notice that most of the paths between buildings at UH Hilo were covered.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
      One thing I did notice that most of the paths between buildings at UH Hilo were covered.
      Its a cute little campus with some funky little buildings. (Probably more big generic buildings coming soon - they've started bulldozing some of the forest above campus.) Too bad we don't have more student-oriented things in town like coffee shops and burrito joints, or a better connection between the university and downtown. Hilo doesn't feel much like a college town yet.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker
        Its a cute little campus with some funky little buildings. (Probably more big generic buildings coming soon - they've started bulldozing some of the forest above campus.)
        Well, one of the newer buildings above the main campus is the Astronomy Center of Hawaii ('Imiloa). I've gushed over that building's design here before. Many of the other buildings that make up that collection of astronomy and science facilities are pretty striking as well.

I guess Hilo isn't a college town the way, say, Gainesville is, insofar as college kids driving the whole economy. But it's a small town where UHH is a significant tenant. There's not the nightlife you might expect (again, this is Hilo!), but I always felt a reasonable "college-like" vibe to many of the businesses and hang-outs there.

I love Hilo, and UHH. I liked being a student there, would have loved graduating from there, and often daydream about working there. Too bad they don't yet have that doctorate program in Dork Studies. I'd make tenure in no time.

Comment

I understand they offer BS in Astronomy and Computer Science which never existed back in my days there. Ahh to be a college student again.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Well, one of the newer buildings above the main campus is the Astronomy Center of Hawaii ('Imiloa). I've gushed over that building's design here before. Many of the other buildings that make up that collection of astronomy and science facilities are pretty striking as well.

I guess Hilo isn't a college town the way, say, Gainesville is, insofar as college kids driving the whole economy. But it's a small town where UHH is a significant tenant. There's not the nightlife you might expect (again, this is Hilo!), but I always felt a reasonable "college-like" vibe to many of the businesses and hang-outs there.

I love Hilo, and UHH. I liked being a student there, would have loved graduating from there, and often daydream about working there. Too bad they don't yet have that doctorate program in Dork Studies. I'd make tenure in no time.
            I agree with PZ....

I would consider Hilo a college town .... but not in the sense that you would call a Washington State University (Wazzu) up in Pullman Washington a college town...

There are two different interpretations...

When I hear college town... as a younger person...I'm thinking...town that parties...etc...

Hilo is far from that....

I would consider UH Hilo a college town...in the fact that it is probably the primary employer there and there is not much else to do there!

However.... I as a former member of the campus... would say that UH Hilo is a good get away for many people... however... if your looking for a so called "animal house" campus.... UH Hilo is far from it!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
              When I hear college town... as a younger person...I'm thinking...town that parties...etc...
              By "college town" I'm thinking streets buzzing with people until late at night, midnight study and chit-chat crowds at indie coffee shops, a wide variety of good, cheap and interesting restaurants (burrito shops, falafel stands, vegetarian cafes, sandwich shops, etc), cute tree-lined neighborhoods, fun stores, abundant arts, progressive town planning, free bus systems...and a vibrant atmosphere that ties it all together. Hilo is sort of the antithesis of "vibrant". Part of the problem is that what good stuff there is is scattered around town with nothing to pull it all together. There are a number of good businesses like O'Keefe's, Hilo Bike Hub, Bear's, Abundant Life, Ken's, Lanky's, Hilo Bay Cafe, Ocean Sushi, Miyo's, etc, but they aren't centralized. The streets in Hilo are for the most part dead. The lack of good coffee shops is a real sore spot. I'm hoping as the university expands Hilo will become a more vibrant town, like it should be. There's lots of potential here, and a distinctive town character to build on. I've lived in many of the best college towns in the country, so I have high standards.
              Last edited by beaker; June 1, 2006, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                I understand they offer BS in Astronomy and Computer Science which never existed back in my days there. Ahh to be a college student again.
                my main focus is the BA in Criminal Justice...im trying to get into the federal agencies

Comment

Then go with criminology. Federal LE is doesnt get too excited about CJ, as it focuses on alot of the administrative side of LE...the stuff you deal with at the local and state level.

Comment

Brandon...

While your on campus this weekend... can you ask these two questions for me.

1. Do the dorms have cable yet?
                    2. Do all the rooms in the dorms have phone lines? (when I was there in 1999 they still didn't have them in a few dorms you would literally have to wait in line for a payphone at the end of the hall... and that same phone was used by all residences to receive incoming calls to! )

Hope you have fun while your visiting!

Manoa

Comment

Brandon...

2. Do all the rooms in the dorms have phone lines? (when I was there in 1999 they still didn't have them in a few dorms you would literally have to wait in line for a payphone at the end of the hall... and that same phone was used by all residences to receive incoming calls to! )

Hope you have fun while your visiting!

Manoa
                      HAHAAHAH!
                      Sure ill do that, but i WILL have a cell phone.

Comment

Originally posted by rhscare
                        Then go with criminology. Federal LE is doesnt get too excited about CJ, as it focuses on alot of the administrative side of LE...the stuff you deal with at the local and state level.
                        I already have my A.A. in Administration of Justice with the Emphasis in Law Enforcement...I want to acquire a BA in something similar, CJ sounds like a broad spectrum of LE, but I could be wrong. Its late, im going to bed, i have a plane early balls tomorrow morning heading to hawaii!!! woot!
                        Last edited by hawaiifiveoh; June 10, 2006, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Brandon...

2. Do all the rooms in the dorms have phone lines?
                          Back in 2003, Volt Services was wiring the dorms for cable and telephone.
                          So I would presume both are available now. I tried checking the UHH dorms
                          website. There was no mention of either being available, but I figure in
                          three years they should be available.
                          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
                            Back in 2003, Volt Services was wiring the dorms for cable and telephone.
                            So I would presume both are available now. I tried checking the UHH dorms
                            website. There was no mention of either being available, but I figure in
                            three years they should be available.
                            that's 3 Hawaii years... could be available in 2020

Comment

that's 3 Hawaii years... could be available in 2020
                              I did find this :

http://www.hawaii.edu/malamalama/200...ampusnews.html

Hilo dorms wired for speed

The University of Hawai�i at Hilo now provides high speed Internet access to dorm residents via the Housing ResNet System. Tied into the university’s computer network, ResNet replaces dial-up connections with speedier access for research and communication.
                              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
                                I did find this :

http://www.hawaii.edu/malamalama/200...ampusnews.html

Hilo dorms wired for speed

The University of Hawai�i at Hilo now provides high speed Internet access to dorm residents via the Housing ResNet System. Tied into the university’s computer network, ResNet replaces dial-up connections with speedier access for research and communication.
                                thanks for your research...

I remember dialing in at 3200 kps!

At least I had a phone line to share between 4 people...and then having to take turns just to use the dang line!

Comment

Working...
                                X