• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UofH Hilo!!

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
    thanks for your research...

I remember dialing in at 3200 kps!

At least I had a phone line to share between 4 people...and then having to take turns just to use the dang line!
    No problem, I remember e-mailing UHH dorms folks asking about this
    about 2.5 years ago. At that time they had phone jacks in the dorm
    my brother was in, but they didn't work. I never inquired about it
    further as my brother used his cel phone.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by beaker
      Its a cute little campus with some funky little buildings. (Probably more big generic buildings coming soon - they've started bulldozing some of the forest above campus.) Too bad we don't have more student-oriented things in town like coffee shops and burrito joints, or a better connection between the university and downtown. Hilo doesn't feel much like a college town yet.
      yeah its very funky there! i loved it when i visited the campus 2 weeks ago..im very well pleased with the setup and quite surprised

SORRY IVE BEEN VERY BUSY AND NOT TALKING ON THE BOARD AS MUCH!

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon007
        yeah its very funky there! i loved it when i visited the campus 2 weeks ago..im very well pleased with the setup and quite surprised
        Hopefully pleasantly surprised. Hilo is indeed a bit funky and unique
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Brandon...

You only saw the beginning of the funk!

Once your a student... you may be overwhelmed with the funk!

You find a place to live yet?

Manoa

Comment

Brandon...

You only saw the beginning of the funk!

Once your a student... you may be overwhelmed with the funk!

You find a place to live yet?

Manoa
            no bro..i was about to post a thread to see if anyone wants a temporary roomate!

Comment

I am coming to BI tomorrow morning on a one way ticket.

Im excited and sad at the same time.

Life goes on.

Comment

Do keep us posted, Brandon! Have a good flight.

Comment

brandon... you know who to contact over there for your surf initiation!

Take care bro... and let me know when your ready for Oahu

Comment

You folks in Hilo mind if I ask another question here? (Not trying to hi-jack Brandon's thread, but this seems like the thread to ask it on ) I've heard all about the rain, the average 10 *feet* per year! I like rain, especially intermittant rain, so that sounds good to me ('cept maybe the molding book spines, I'm a bookworm... but I can cope). But does it stay cloudy all the time?

I heard someone compare the weather to Seattle, and lemme tell ya... I'm sitting here looking out of my office in Portland, middle of summer, and it's clouded over. No rain or anything, just lots of clouds. It does kind of get to a person after a while. Our first couple of winters here weren't too bad because we had sunbreaks on a regular basis, but last winter I don't think I saw the sun for about a month straight.

Another question related to this thread: does UHH (or community colleges there?) have any sort of "continuing ed" classes? One cool thing about the universities and comm. colleges here is you can go sign up for $20-$100 classes without having to formally enroll.

Mahalo!

Comment

Yeah, Hilo stays cloudy the majority of the time...

the funny thing is...you can drive across the island to the Kona side and it's a complete opposite!

Comment

Hmm. I guess this is just one of those things I'll have to feel out for myself when we visit.

Nice thing about the Kona drive, unlike in Oregon you can't get cut off from it so easily. It gets to be winter time here, months of no sunshine, rain, 40 degrees... and unless you have a serious 4WD vehicle with snow chains (or a regular car + snow chains + very brave ), you're stuck in the valley. So your only option to escape to some sunshine (or any different weather at all) is to get on a plane, or take a boat around the coast. I'm guessing unless you're doing the saddle road that wouldn't be a big problem there.

Looking forward to the exploratory trips either way, and if any earlier-mentioned BH HT people stuck without cars would like a friend, let me know

Comment

Well I am here. Its sunny with clouds. Its hot. My feet stink and I am dying of thirst!!!

Im going to seven eleven (walking) hopefully its not that far.

.Brandon.

Comment

Well I am here. Its sunny with clouds. Its hot. My feet stink and I am dying of thirst!!!

.Brandon.
                            Brandon...

One thing I remember on the big island... it is big... don't get lost!
                            Bring a compass! Drop bread crumbs.... but do be careful as I know theres hardly any sidewalks....!

When your car arriving? Smelly feet thing... I gottem to once I moved to hawaii... I think that's why everyone where slippers j/k locals! Take your shoes off and get some open toed sandals.... wash your feet constantly until your body get's acclimated.

I had a roomate from H3LL at UH Manoa! He came over from France and used to always wear his "penny loafers" all day long w/out socks! He would come home to the dorms and his feet would stink so bad that all 3 of the other roommates started literally spraying his shoes! It got so bad that we finally up and told him his feet stank.... he got really pissed at us...and asked to get transferred to another dorm room! Nuff said... don't let your feet stink!

The very first thing I do when I get home is take off my leather shoes that I've been wearing all day at work is go wash my feet! Other things I've had to do that I didn't do in the mainland is learn to wear sandals with out socks... I also finding myself buying two sets of work shoes everytime I go shopping for them...(and only AT ROSS) and then I rotate those shoes each day!

Manoa get stink feet....

Sheesh... I dunno even want to go into the sweat that was excreting from all the other parts of my body! You will adjust though Brandon... it will take time.... just take plenty showers and wash da feet all the time!
                            Last edited by damontucker; August 9, 2006, 05:56 PM.

Comment

.Brandon.
                              Welcome to Hawai`i!

You're going to have a great time in Hilo....I can't wait to go back!
                              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                              We're not here to mess around
                              Boston, you know we love you madly
                              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                              You know we couldn't live without you
                              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

The very first thing I do when I get home is take off my leather shoes that I've been wearing all day at work is go wash my feet! Other things I've had to do that I didn't do in the mainland is learn to wear sandals with out socks... I also finding myself buying two sets of work shoes everytime I go shopping for them...(and only AT ROSS) and then I rotate those shoes each day!

Manoa get stink feet....

Sheesh... I dunno even want to go into the sweat that was excreting from all the other parts of my body!
                                This might be more information than I wanted to learn ....

Comment

Working...
                                X