Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trying to get back after many years

Originally posted by rhscare
    Aloha everyone!!! Well I was born on Kauai and left when I was fairly young, and its always called me back. Im 25 now and the opportunity to go back is better now then ever before. I would probably be going to Oahu, which I have never been to. My main desire to go back is my image at least, of what the islands are all about. Life where I am now is hecktic and selfish, and thats not me. I trully belive in the aloha and ohana spirit. Its always been with me and I want back in it. Im concerned about the cost of living on Oahu, as well as how often I hear "its basically like any other city." This has led me to think about other islands as well, but again, my knowledge of them is limited. I have a friend on Oahu who is willing to let me stay until I get settled which is what is making this actually possible. Im thinking about feeling out Oahu and if its not what Im looking for, I can look to the other islands.

Anyways, thats my story and I really do love browsing this forum. I hope to be able to join all of you here soon. Mahalo!!!

When someone BORN in the Islands thinks about moving back, those of us who are current residents should be more than willing to help facilitate their move. They aren't just another mainlander "adding to overpopulation". He says he hasn't been to O'ahu but perhaps he has been back to visit other islands to see ohana or friends? Give the man some links dammit, you know, the kind you always give to anyone else inquiring about life in Hawai'i (housing, stories, news articles).

I see now he's here. Perhaps suggestions on what a keiki of the aina could do for some fun would be in order.
    Last edited by Whitepoint3rchum; July 12, 2006, 06:30 AM.
    "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
    "But I can't even read good."
    "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
    "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

Um. Who said rhscare is "adding to overpopulation" (since you noted that in quotes)? Where were we so unhelpful? We wished rhscare luck, and urged planning and caution -- knowing as we all do how hard it is to balance a deep, sometimes irrational yearning or dream with the dry realities of day to day life. Now that rhscare is here, I'm sure we're all hopeful he or she does well, and I'm certainly curious about how things go. Nothing but hope and good thoughts here, at least.
      Originally posted by Whitepoint3rchum
      Give the man some links dammit, you know, the kind you always give to anyone else inquiring about life in Hawai'i (housing, stories, news articles).
      We do what we can, and lots of great information has been posted in other threads (which are eminently searchable, both here and via Google). Obviously if rhscare has specific questions, many of us will do what we can to answer them. In the mean time, rather than telling everyone else how we could be more helpful, you could step in with some links and advice of your own!

Comment

Firstly, unfortunately I can't convey a proper tone through such a forum. I'm sorry the "links, dammit" part was just a joke. However I do feel that the man did deserve a better welcome seeing as how mainland folks are told how much they're going to love/hate the experience over many pages, while this chap barely elicited a few posts.
        Secondly I can't right well pitch in seeing as I'm not currently residing in Hawai'i now can I? That'd be the same if I was to ask for advice about moving to the Sunshine State and recieve a set of responses and links from people in the Dakotas and Michigan. Thats why I was saying, some current residents should help him.
        Thirdly, the quote was just paraphrasing the general feeling I get after having browsed over a number of Introductory threads. My good man Prof. K is usually the most vocal in this regard.
        Fourthly, My job description didn't include providing information for people, at least not when I signed on to this. It was a managerial description and I'm managing. Now get suggesting, dammit!!! (Note: the above comment is also a joke. )

Comment

yea c'mon dammit people. do yer job!
          I've seen ya do yer job better before than what this guy got. Some people can't pitch in and say anything so what da hell we sittin on our fannies for?! as he sez: give him exactly what we gave others in the past. and do it now!

I KNOW this is a laid back Hawaii threads web site, but we ain't responding fast enuff for outsiders anymore! what da hellz goin on?!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            [...]I KNOW this is a laid back Hawaii threads web site, but we ain't responding fast enuff for outsiders anymore! what da hellz goin on?!
            Well, shame on us workin' stiffs, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Whitepoint3rchum
              Give the man some links dammit, you know, the kind you always give to anyone else inquiring about life in Hawai'i (housing, stories, news articles).

I see now he's here. Perhaps suggestions on what a keiki of the aina could do for some fun would be in order.
              You're new at this, aren't you?

OK, "gamer." If you want to provide him with links, what's stopping you?

Oh! You want US to do it! Huh ... let's see, you have a brain, fingers, synapses that seem to fire correctly ... Nope, I'm not seeing the problem. Why don't YOU provide him with some links, if you feel so strongly about it? And don't tell me it's because you don't live in Hawaii. Residence is not a requirement for looking up stuff on the Internet and posting it to HT. Big duh there.

Or ... hey, I know ... people could SEARCH the forum so we don't have to answer the same questions day after day after day! Whoa! There's an idea!

I suggest YOU do a search and put together an FAQ for newbies. There ya go.
              Last edited by MadAzza; July 12, 2006, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Okay, will do.
                As soon as the paychecks start coming in, that is.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Ok, I'm skipping the last few posts here, haha! All I wanted to say was welcome back to the islands rhscare! Keep us updated on how you are doing. Congrats on finding your way home.
                  I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                    Residence is not a requirement for looking up stuff on the Internet and posting it to HT. Big duh there.
                    Thank Zarquon for that, or I'd have to spend more of my workday...working.

Comment

^Crazy working folk...

Comment

I've seen ya do yer job better before than what this guy got. Some people can't pitch in and say anything so what da hell we sittin on our fannies for?! as he sez: give him exactly what we gave others in the past. and do it now!

I KNOW this is a laid back Hawaii threads web site, but we ain't responding fast enuff for outsiders anymore! what da hellz goin on?!

See! 3v3n Prof. K can grasp.

Hey, additionally Azzaz, you seem to be a perfectly functioning forum memeber yet someone missed my second forum entry and cited a line in the first entry cleary addressed.

Oh yeah, to anyone who cares and is from Bay Area, Makaha Sons are doing a free show this Sunday at 2pm->19th and Sloat.
                        Last edited by Whitepoint3rchum; July 12, 2006, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Wow! Funny my thread generated so many more replies after I got here. But seriously, a big mahalo to all of you. Granted Im probably still not out of the "honeymoon" phase yet, but you know. Im still loving everyday. The people here are far better than I was even hoping. The kindness we run into everyday that we explore town is great. Coming from Vegas, which is such a selfish, greedy town its nice to say hi to someone and actually get a smile and a "how are you doing" back. The people we have come accross have been so warm and full of aloha, that we know we made the right choice. Everyone back "home" speaks of the the cost of living out here but there is something else out here that cant be measured. And thats the quality of life. We used to sort of dread going to a mall in Vegas because of the attitude and general rudeness you would come accross, which you start to become accustomed to. We have hit a few malls here and the difference is amazing. It may seem like a little thing to those of you who have lived here for years, but people will actually talk to you with sincerity here. I tell people we just moved and they actually care about where we came from, how we like it and on and on. We end our day with a smile any time we have gone exploring. SO far I would say the best part of moving here has been the people. Yes the weather is great, (although the humidity takes some adjusting from Vegas), the scenery is the best in the world, and the beaches are great. But its the people that make this place what it is. I do not regret anything we had to go through to make it here, and I only hope the love I feel of this place stays with me as long as I am here. So thanks again everyone, reading this board gave me some of the courage I needed to get up and do it, and for that I will be eternally gratefull. Mahalo eveyone!!!

Comment

Honeymoon period or not, I am very glad to hear you're doing so well, and feeling so good about the move. I'm especially heartened to read that you're finding, indeed, that it is the immeasurable aspects of Hawaii living that make the biggest difference.

We have our issues, to be sure, but I too feel that it is the people that make the place, not the weather or geography. We just happen to have great weather and geography, too!

Part of me feels like apologizing in advance on behalf of the rest of us, in anticipation of that first total jerk or closed-minded moron that tries to darken your day. But it seems like you have the right attitude, and will do quite well, and see this adventure -- however it turns out -- to be exactly what you needed.

Comment

Working...
                            X