Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Don't Know Where to Shop

Originally posted by tutusue
    Jeez...that's so close to the Kunia Walmart.
    I know. My thoughts exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree
      supposedly target will be in the kapolei area...
      Target? Really?

I don't especially care about the Walmarts and the Targets. But...bring in Trader Joes...pleeeeeeze?!

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree
        supposedly target will be in the kapolei area...
        Oh yeah, I forgot about that... here's an article about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilikina731
          I have been in Oahu three times but I have only seen ABC stores. Do you a Dollar tree store? I searched in the internet and found that you have Walmart at Waipahu. How about Safeway? Target? 99 cent store? Mervyn's. I am asking these questions because my husband is being offered a job in Oahu and I want to know if you have stores that are also found here in Sacramento.
          Go to your local public library to see if they have an Oahu phone book (preferably with yellow pages). If so, then just page through that looking for your favorite stores.

For that matter, go to your favorite stores' websites and search for locations using a Hawai'i zip code like 96813 for downtown.
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
            Hmmm...it's not a matter of forgetting! I wasn't even aware of it! Jeez...that's so close to the Kunia Walmart.
            jus some insight on wallmarts thinking at least on the mainland end of things... walmart.... if there is city density it is not unusuall for walmart to have centers within a 5-15 mile radius...almost like Mcdonalds scary that way...
            I have three within 20 mins of me an possibly more I havent branched out to far from my safe zone yet...
            Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Those WM Supercenters are the ones that have the supermarkets in them. They will definitely give the local chains (Times, Foodland) and Safeway some very stiff competition. Interesting thing about the WM supermarkets: they are expanding their organic produce sections, to try to cater to more upscale customers. WM makes more profit from the Supercenters because of those markets than they do with their merchandise-only branches.

Miulang

P.S. I also agree with Kimo about patronizing local businesses rather than wishing for more Mainland chains to invade the islands.
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Marukai 99-Cent Superstores are at Ward, as noted; in Waipahu (its largest facility); at Windward Mall ... and within the Sack 'n Save at Stadium Mall (I think it's called Sack 'n Save) ... I really should be able to retain more details about the stuff I write about.
                It is true that some things are 99 cents but others have risen to $1.49 ...

I really believe Marukai should set up shop further up the Windward coast, say, in Laie/Kahuku where there are all those big families and the established retailers/grocers/c-stores seem to charge resort-community prices for just about everything. I've even told the Marukai people that.

The Hawaii Marukai stores have sister-stores on the mainland, run by the same family. For a competitive edge, used to call themselves 98 Cent stores. I don't know if they've been able to maintain that edge, given rising costs.

I need to renew my Marukai membership for the separate, members-only stores. I really miss getting and going through the ads/recipes they mail out -- and shopping there.

The advice to search online for Hawaii locations of favored stores was sage, indeed. That's what I would do!
                I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
                  You must've been in Waikiki! We have Safeway, KMart, Sam's Club and Costco as well as lots of local (well not all owned locally anymore) stores like Foodland, Times Supermarkets, Sack 'n Save and Longs. Three or four Wal-marts too not just the one you mention. Plenty of places to spend your money and get stuff you need. Sadly, no Target or Trader Joe's.
                  Thanks for the information! I truly appreciate it. We stayed in Waikiki Beachcomber twice but only stayed within the vicinity so i didn't get the chance to see the other stores you mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
                    You must've been in Waikiki! We have Safeway, KMart, Sam's Club and Costco as well as lots of local (well not all owned locally anymore) stores like Foodland, Times Supermarkets, Sack 'n Save and Longs. Three or four Wal-marts too not just the one you mention. Plenty of places to spend your money and get stuff you need. Sadly, no Target or Trader Joe's.
                    By the way, these are all in Oahu, right?? Have you tried going to Chinatown? Which supermarket is the most affordable?
                    Your Wal-mart offers food, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                      The advice to search online for Hawaii locations of favored stores was sage, indeed. That's what I would do!
                      I one trained researcher, yeah?
                      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

By the way, these are all in Oahu, right?? Have you tried going to Chinatown? Which supermarket is the most affordable?
                        All are on Oahu.
                        I think Tamura's market in Waianae is probably one of the least expensive...not counting the gas it takes to get there and back!
                        Chinatown? A U N T I E????? Where are yoooooooooou???

Comment

Admin?
                          You might want to merge the 2 "Don't Know Where to Shop" threads! Maybe?

Comment

Which supermarket is the most affordable?
                            For me it's a toss up between Sam's Club, Foodland and Don Quijote.

I don't know about the other Wal-Marts on Oahu but the one on Keeaumoku Street, it's food selection is sort of limited to breakfast, lunch and quick snacks.

Comment

I heard the Kunia Walmart is closing and will become a Target store.
                              We could use an Ikea, too, along with Trader Joe's. And how about a few furniture stores that don't belong to CS Wo?

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                                Kona, Big Island

No Target
                                No TGIFridays
                                No Olive Garden
                                No self serve car wash
                                No ob/gyn's
                                No Tap Plastics
                                No Best Buy
                                Not enough termite guys

The list goes on and on. With Kona growing the way it is, many national chains will start to consider us.
                                No Olive Garden ?....You're better off...Olive Garden is to Italian what Taco Bell is to Mexican Food.
                                Truth be told...the best Italian food I've had in a while was in Hawaii Kai in Oahu, A place called Assagio. I'm 100% Sicilian descent, and grew up on great Italian cooking...this place had the best sauce I've had in a long time...Definitely better than anything here in LA.

Anyone on this board want to taste real Italian food should check this place out.
                                http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                                Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                                Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Working...
                                X