Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How bad is the surfing localism

Couple of tidbits......

This happened in 2004. The guy getting the beating did not press charges. He gets his boards for free. The stuff he was yelling at the end was "F Hawaiians", "F your culture", "F **insert name of guy who just gave him the beating**". It all got settled Hawaiian style, ho' oponopono, later that week. He was back at Pipe a week later. Unconfirmed reports that he was bi-polar and off his meds that day........

Reading a book about the sadness that is surf rage by Nat "The Animal" Young is like listening to a high school dropout tell you the virtues of a good education. The karma train pulled into his station. He quit surfing and left Australia after that incident.

Sue, So Cal can be much worse. I have seen guns pulled. I personally know someone who is still doing time after a parking lot fracas over waves. The ironic part is, that guy is still doing time but due to beach construction, that break he was trying so hard to localize, does not exist anymore.

I don't advocate surf violence at all. Just trying to show what happens when the line gets crossed. Bottom line: Be smart, don't cross the line.

Levity break: guess the movie. My favorite right next to "Dog the Bounty Hunter the complete first season"

RK: Excuse me, can you tell me where the police station is?
    TR: What, yeah, urm, nearest one is in Wahiawa
    RK: Ok, well they'll come down here if I call right?
    TR: Yeah, I guess so. why you want to call the cops bra?
    RK: These guys took my stuff.
    TR: Oh that sucks, hey, at least they didn't get your board huh? You see what they look like?
    RK: Yeah it's those guys in the black shorts who think they're hot ****, da heeu, da hooay, da...
    TR: Da Hui, look barney, bag it, no one messes with Da Hui.
    Last edited by nachodaddy; July 2, 2006, 08:07 PM.
    You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

north shore
      with Gregory Harrison?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        north shore
        with Gregory Harrison?
        ............and Gerry Lopez

Comment

yep. GL

goes widdout sayin.

and i will say this:

Laird Hamilton (Burkhart), Gerry Lopez (Vince Mokaloka), Mark Occoluppo (Occie), and Alex Rogers (Robbie Page) are among the main cast who were real-life pro-surfers.

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
            It all got settled Hawaiian style, ho' oponopono, later that week. He was back at Pipe a week later.
            Don't think that kind of reconciliation would happen anyplace else but Hawaii... especially if the haole guy said the things ND says he did. That kind of stuff gets you stabbed or shot in other parts of the world...

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              yep. GL

goes widdout sayin.

and i will say this:

Laird Hamilton (Burkhart), Gerry Lopez (Vince Mokaloka), Mark Occoluppo (Occie), and Alex Rogers (Robbie Page) are among the main cast who were real-life pro-surfers.
              I have a friend in 2004 who called into a radio show that Laird was on (pimping 'Riding Giants') and asked him, "why did you pull Rick Kane's leash" Laird got really upset and trashed the producer on line. After that, every other call was "why did you pull Rick's leash". I heard the tape. I was laughing my *** off the whole time.

Not to take away from his surfing abilities tho'.

Occie is still on the ASP tour and he still rips.
              Last edited by nachodaddy; July 2, 2006, 08:25 PM.

Comment

nachodaddy > "He was back at Pipe a week later. Unconfirmed reports that he was bi-polar and off his meds that day........"
                Hmmm...Bi-polar is a Disease. It is treatable with medications. Someone who suffers from the ailment can not, I repeat - can not become "whacko" from missing his/her meds ONE day. It takes a period of time for the medication to decrease in one's bloodstream.

Every sufferer is different when not on medications. Some act irrational, bursts of verbal violence is common. Spending sprees and medical side effects such as severe headaches.

How do I know?

I am Bi-polar.

Lithium and Topicate, three times a day to keep me balance so I can function as my normal counterparts. Mental Illness is treatable. Unfortunately, because of it's popularity many criminals try to use it as their defense. It doesn't work that way. A true Bi-Polar patient suffers silently until properly diagnosed by a Psychiatrist or a Psychologist.

For the families of those who suffer...they suffer as well. To live with a Bi-Polar sufferer is to live on pins and needles.

Auntie Lynn
                Last edited by 1stwahine; July 2, 2006, 08:26 PM.
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
                  I have a friend in 2004 who called into a radio show that Laird was on (pimping 'Riding Giants') and asked him, "why did you pull Rick Kane's leash" Laird got really upset and trashed the producer on line. After that, every other call was "why did you pull Rick's leash". I heard the tape.
                  ...the occasional "Why did you have to pull Rick Kane's leash?" pops up often in alotta interviews, aired and print.

Comment

Video's like that must make Hawaiians so proud. Vigilantism respected within culture. Most excellent.

I can hear tears of joy cascading down tutu's face. I betcha somewhere, a father's heart is swelling with pride. Tito, get me a tissue.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

probably as happy as the mcgee side of the family?

Comment

How bad is the surfing localism (follow up)

Ok, so I got the tips I expected but its good to hear them from actual Hawaiians. Im a Christian and Im all about respect, I can think of one time that I didnt respect someone in the water and sharing waves is no problem at all. On some days, I give more waves to other people than I take so not dropping in is no problem. Thanks a lot for all your tips. Im 18 and it is just a little frightening being thrown out in to the world but to a place where im not welcomed, at all. Again, thanks a lot and if yall have any more tips, feel free to share. Thanks

Tim

Comment

Watched this vid a few times...

First off, there was an organized contest going on in the water, and this kid blatantly ignored the people running the contest,caused a disruption and was just overall belligerent. Second, he threw the first punch...at that point, I'd say all bets are off and he deserved what he got in the water. He completely provoked the whole thing.

The fight on the shore is another story. At that point he was out of the water, problem solved. I don't think the second beatdown was necessary.
                          More just tough guy kinda stuff, which is always a drag to see.

Hopefully he learned something from this.

Watching this kind of real life violence captured on video is always disturbing to me .
                          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Re: How bad is the surfing localism (follow up)

Originally posted by frankyt88
                            Ok, so I got the tips I expected but its good to hear them from actual Hawaiians. Im a Christian and Im all about respect, I can think of one time that I didnt respect someone in the water and sharing waves is no problem at all. On some days, I give more waves to other people than I take so not dropping in is no problem. Thanks a lot for all your tips. Im 18 and it is just a little frightening being thrown out in to the world but to a place where im not welcomed, at all. Again, thanks a lot and if yall have any more tips, feel free to share. Thanks

Tim
                            Good luck to you. It can be a good experience or a bad experience, it is all up to you. Hope you find someone to show you the ropes, it is a little easier that way.

Some more info: http://www.aroundhawaii.com/leisure/...lgreetings.htm
                            Last edited by nachodaddy; July 3, 2006, 11:19 AM. Reason: added link

Comment

Originally posted by frankyt88
                              Whats up guys. I plan on attending a school out in Oahu around september 1st and Im just wondering how bad the localism is down at the South Shore. ACtually, how bad each shore is. Ive been surfing for about a year and a half, I compete in the Texas Gulf Surfing Association and Ive been doing pretty good, so what im implying is that Im not a kook begginer. I mean, if i respect all the other surfers and share waves, would I be alright? Im not scared of any fights or anything, Ive had way more than my fair share and its stupid, I just dont want to, especially over endless waves. I could sound less like a girl and just charge it and act like a macho man but Id rather get some tips from an actual Hawian and keep things chill. Thanks a lot guys.

Late, Tim

Nacho Daddy explained it quite well but let me touch on a few more things. First of all, never paddle directly out to a local lineup without another local with you. Every spot has its regulars and you will get sized up immediately. You may be able to enjoy a nice session at Diamond Cliffs.. etc but more popular south shore breaks might be a difficult nut for you to crack.Secondly, don't tell anybody you come from Texas and surf in TGSA contests. Localism is an issue everywhere you go, not just Hawai'i but Hawaiians and locals alike are tired of sharing waves in already crowded lineups. Befriend a local surfer, your surf experience here will be much better if you do.
                              Last edited by Nalu; July 3, 2006, 06:56 PM.

Comment

So much was made about that particular video. That dude got beat in the water by Kainoa Mcgee and on land by Kala Alexander... and he deserved it.

Rule number 1... Respect the Hui and the Wolfpak when you are in Hawaiian waters. If you act like an ass, you'll get treated like one.

Comment

Working...
                                X