Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How bad is the surfing localism

Originally posted by nachodaddy
    [...]Sue, So Cal can be much worse. I have seen guns pulled. I personally know someone who is still doing time after a parking lot fracas over waves.[...]

I don't advocate surf violence at all. Just trying to show what happens when the line gets crossed. Bottom line: Be smart, don't cross the line.[...]
    I was aware of the surfer vs surf kayaker issue at San Onofre but I wasn't aware, as I mentioned earlier, of surf rage. Guns pulled over waves? I just don't get it? I truly don't. Regardless of the area. Waves?

I remember, as a kid, when my dad reminisced about the 'good ol' days'. Now I understand what he meant. I'm now reminiscing about the good ol' days of surfing in SoCal...basically 1957-1966. I surfed a limited number of breaks during that time...Brooks St. in Laguna, Doheny, San Onofre, Trestles and, my fave, Swami's in Leucadia. I don't ever recall any turf issues. I do recall everyone having a healthy respect for everyone else in the water. That was long before leashes. If someone wiped out another surfer was right there bringing the board back to the wipee! <g> There was certainly a fair share of incidents; usually someone wiping out and the loose board interfering with another surfer's ride. But, I don't recall one incident of surf anger much less surf rage. We were all out there to have a good time. Period. H3!!...it was such a good time I used to cut school to go surfing with my dad when he was between projects. He always wrote me a 'sick note' the next day. Ha! I was another 3 shades tanner!

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
      The fight on the shore is another story. At that point he was out of the water, problem solved. I don't think the second beatdown was necessary. More just tough guy kinda stuff, which is always a drag to see.
      I've only seen it once (that was enough for me), but it seemed to me that the same guy who threw the first punch in the water started the fight on shore, as well. He tried to twist that local guy's arm, or something, as I recall.

That doesn't justify it by any means, though. The video shouldn't make any visitors afraid to surf in Hawai'i, unless they like to pick fights and act like they own the place.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard
        I've only seen it once (that was enough for me), but it seemed to me that the same guy who threw the first punch in the water started the fight on shore, as well. He tried to twist that local guy's arm, or something, as I recall.

That doesn't justify it by any means, though. The video shouldn't make any visitors afraid to surf in Hawai'i, unless they like to pick fights and act like they own the place.

Watch it again...the guy was approached and then one of the 2 guys that approached him grabbed at him, and it was "on" again. However, without the audio, you just can't judge it...the disruptor in question could have spewed all kinds of venom to spark the second beatdown...who knows ?
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
          Watch it again...the guy was approached and then one of the 2 guys that approached him grabbed at him, and it was "on" again. However, without the audio, you just can't judge it...the disruptor in question could have spewed all kinds of venom to spark the second beatdown...who knows ?
          He was asked to leave the beach. He refused. Second beatdown begins. Again, better listening skills could have avoided the entire situation.
          You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

He was asked to leave the beach. He refused. Second beatdown begins. Again, better listening skills could have avoided the entire situation.
            Well, then...he deserved it...thanx for the correction. Is it really a lack of listening skills or is it just belligerence ? I've never surfed a day in my life, and I would know not to get in the water where there is a contest going on.
            The safety issues alone are bad enough, then there is the lack of respect issue....
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

He was out of the water... not interfering at that point.

Whose decision was it that they owned the beach and he had to leave?

I thought Beaches were public?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123

You enjoy surfing on the North Shore. If you don't know the answers to your questions after reading this entire thread, I will leave it up to you to find out, on your own, the answers to your questions.
                You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Interesting how few people know how to fight. Looks like the guy doing the beating had a mop of hair, excellent for gripping, and debilitatingly painful. I also notice that in the first grapple the blond kids left thumb and fingers were only inches from the guys eye, nose, and mouth, in the perfect gouging position. The best escape from under a grapple is most certainly the pressure points on the face, #1 of which is the eye. Even King Kong will pause a moment with a thumb in his eye. Might that be illegal in MMA? I didn't play.

And of course. The greatest thing of all about Hawaii. I never heard a gunshot in the video.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                    Interesting how few people know how to fight. Looks like the guy doing the beating had a mop of hair, excellent for gripping, and debilitatingly painful.

the blond kids left thumb and fingers were only inches from the guys eye, nose, and mouth, in the perfect gouging position.
                    methinks the two may spend their daily life enjoying their finger positions and hair style with the thought in mind of daily life, rather than how to dress and move their rigid digits to best effect violent domination and a permanent disability during the daily fight.

I don't find it interesting "how few people know how to fight" I am glad most don't have it in mind: "I gotta really know how to fight! lessee; how should I dress? yea, ok, the shaved head thug look... what eye should I poke out?!"
                    Last edited by kimo55; July 4, 2006, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123

What kind of surfing do you do? internet surfing?

FYI, the 2 guys on the beach belong to a surf tribe that care for that lineup, and other stretches of beach on the North shore. Not all beaches are "public" my man.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                        Interesting how few people know how to fight. Looks like the guy doing the beating had a mop of hair, excellent for gripping, and debilitatingly painful. I also notice that in the first grapple the blond kids left thumb and fingers were only inches from the guys eye, nose, and mouth, in the perfect gouging position. The best escape from under a grapple is most certainly the pressure points on the face, #1 of which is the eye. Even King Kong will pause a moment with a thumb in his eye. Might that be illegal in MMA? I didn't play.

And of course. The greatest thing of all about Hawaii. I never heard a gunshot in the video.

Timothy, this isn't San Francisco. You have a lot to learn boy.

Comment

Goodness. Getting pounded by Kainoa AND getting your board taken away on top of that is one thing... But to challenge Kala Alexander is stupidity to the millioneth degree.

Comment

I haven't gotten pounded out for internet surfing at least....

threatened to be banned....yes... but pounded out and beaten down, well I guess I'll stick to my internet surfing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nalu
                              Timothy, this isn't San Francisco. You have a lot to learn boy.
                              Sounds to me like he is on the right path, defending one's self of always a good idea.
                              Got Absinthe?

Comment

Originally posted by Alarick
                                Sounds to me like he is on the right path, defending one's self of always a good idea.
                                But being a punk and mouthing off to others? Then you deserve an ass-whipping.

Comment

Working...
                                X