Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Living in Makaha

Originally posted by tutusue
    PZ...didn't Katie go to a charter school in town before you moved to Mililani?
    Yep. Voyager, in Kakaako. I think giving up that school was the biggest downside to our relocation. It was a crazy couple of years for her, anyway, cycling through five elementary schools in two years, but while we're fine in Mililani, we miss Voyager a lot.

Charter schools in general still get the short end of the stick from the state, yet despite their black sheep status, many (but not all -- there are some very problematic charter schools out there too!) provide an excellent education. At Voyager, and at most charter schools, the teachers, the management, everyone are all stakeholders in their students' success, and it comes through in the way they run the campus, and the classroom.

We liked Voyager so much, we didn't mind the heavy pitch for financial contributions to subsidize what little the state provided. We felt as if we were getting a 'private school' grade education, so the occasional donation was quite a deal... especially when you believed in the mission as much as they did.

Charter schools are a whole 'nother discussion, of course, and have come up here before.

Good luck in your research and move, Lissy!

Comment

hey PZ - I read somewhere on HT that you graduated from Mililani High School. What year? My daughter graduated from there in 1986.

Fran
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
        hey PZ - I read somewhere on HT that you graduated from Mililani High School. What year? My daughter graduated from there in 1986.
        I graduated from MHS in 1992. (I was 12 years old in 1986!) I thought it was a pretty good school... but definitely overcrowded. Living about two blocks from it now, it certainly seems no less packed, but in decent shape, and with no more than the level of ridiculousness expected of any suburban high school.

Comment

Working...
        X