What should I expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What should I expect?

They come from outside, can they come inside?
    Can they make contact, and cross your border?
    Can they vacate here and drink your water?
    Ask us...

Are you native??

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      They come from outside, can they come inside?
      Can they make contact, and cross your border?
      Can they vacate here and drink your water?
      Ask us...

Are you native??

Brother Noland (quoted on HT in January by zztype)

Comment

Depending on the source and the tone, I don't think saying "native" neccessarily implies a egregious misunderstanding of a host culture. It's used knowingly and playfully just as often as it's used in an ignorant way. Yeah, we use it too... though like many trigger words, it's "okay" for some folks to throw it around, less so for others. Such are the peculiarities of people.

Personally, I'd preemptively warn against the phrase "the states" before getting all upset about "natives." It's a much more common faux pas. For better or worse, Hawaii is a state, and referring to the "Contiguous 48" or the "Lower 48" or the "Mainland" or whatever as "the states" will definitely earn you some rolled eyes and snarky replies!

But, given the reasonable warnings also frequently offered about making comparative remarks about Hawaii versus wherever you're from... you might be well served by mentally spot-checking yourself anytime you're about to make reference to the Mainland anyway!

Comment

Sorry if this has been said, but I'm much, much, much too exhausted to read that Kihei thread right now. Kihei is a great place for you to start, if you ask me. And you did. That's gotta be one of the haoliest towns in this state. Very friendly, too...I spent a week there while I was still in college, and it was a lot more like Hilo in that respect than was Honolulu.

It's an interesting and fun town. I don't think I'd want to live there, but I can see why it would appeal to a lot of people. Can you say "laid back?" 'Cause if you can't, you'll be saying it soon.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

How long ago was that, Scriv? 'Cause my impressions of Kihei differ somewhat. It's easily one of the fastest-growing areas on Maui, definitely among the top tourist draws, and a place that's a lot closer to parts of Oahu (if not urban Honolulu) than Hilo on the "hustle and bustle" continuum.

The fact that you call it "one of the haoliest towns in this state" is telling, considering that it used to be a small, rural, distinctly "old Hawaii" ranch town. Its current mix of transplants to longtime residents may certainly be a comfort to another transplant, but probably less so to those born and raised there. In fact, it's a matter of notable tension.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              The fact that you call it "one of the haoliest towns in this state" is telling, considering that it used to be a small, rural, distinctly "old Hawaii" ranch town. Its current mix of transplants to longtime residents may certainly be a comfort to another transplant, but probably less so to those born and raised there. In fact, it's a matter of notable tension.
              For the all years that I lived on Maui, Kihei was never a "ranch town", partially because there IS no town per se. The ranch part was in Ulupalakua/Keawekapu, which is now where Wailea sits. You want a ranch town, think "Makawao".

Kihei extends to the north from Sugar Beach (the first string of timeshare condos) all the way down to Wailea. Many many years ago (pre-the late 60's) Kihei consisted of Suda Store, Azeka Store across from Kalama Park and lots of single family homes. Most people worked in Kahului or Wailuku, so it was more like a bedroom community of Kahului and Wailuku. I remember the first big housing development in Kihei being stalled for years because there wasn't enough water and there was an explosion in the rat population.

Kihei only started growing after Ka'anapali was developed in the 1960s and deemed a success and developers like Seibu started thinking about creating another planned resort for South Maui. Actually, the Canadians were the first Mainlanders to discover Kihei in the early 60s. They built the Maui Lu resort (now mostly converted into a church). One of the main reasons why Kihei has been able to grow is because of the concessions the developers of Wailea had to make to the County to beef up infrastructure in order to be granted permission to build Wailea. Otherwise, it would still be mostly kiawe-tree covered patches of dirt and sand being blown about.

As Scriv indicates, it's now gotten very "haolified" (like Lahaina) and the resultant effect is that housing has become scarce and pricey. What worries me about the development in the Kihei/Wailea area is that there is still a lack of infrastructure. Most of their water still comes from the Iao Aquifer (the main water source for Maui). Historically, the Kihei area has been subject to droughts in the past, and unless growth in that area is slowed down, there may be an issue with lack of water again. The Pi'ilani Highway carries most car traffic now, but it's only 2 lanes each way, and there are always serious accidents caused by people speeding. If you take Kihei Beach Road (the "old road" through town), you now have stoplights and lazy tourists who jaywalk to contend with. There are very few small "local" type stores anymore in Kihei...most of it is meant to cater to the tourist trade. There are a bunch of "farmers markets" which sell some produce but mostly it's about touristy knick knacks.

Miulang
              Last edited by Miulang; July 20, 2006, 07:59 AM.
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

My personal opinion is that Kihei tends to have a lot of crime, has a high transient population, and is hot and dusty. Not one of my favorite places on the island.

Comment

So, from everyone here, what would be a good place for someone in my situation to start off in in Maui or in Hawaii in general?

Comment

Originally posted by pttymcgee
                    What I meant to say is: From everyone here, where would be a good place on Maui to start in my situation?
                    I thought you were going to be living in Kihei? Are you now having second thoughts??? Kihei is as good a place as any to start...just don't go with any expectations of finding a high paying job and work your butt off and respect everyone and you'll probably do OK.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                      I thought you were going to be living in Kihei? Are you now having second thoughts??? Kihei is as good a place as any to start...just don't go with any expectations of finding a high paying job and work your butt off and respect everyone and you'll probably do OK.
                      I have no intentions of finding the perfect job at all. Everyone keeps talking about how Kihei is overcrowded, high crime and all that jazz...I was just wondering where people think the best place for someone in my situation is to start.

Comment

Originally posted by pttymcgee
                        I have no intentions of finding the perfect job at all. Everyone keeps talking about how Kihei is overcrowded, high crime and all that jazz...I was just wondering where people think the best place for someone in my situation is to start.
                        <sigh> NOWHERE in Hawai'i is NOT going to be crowded! You just have to decide on a place and make the best you can out of your experience. An uncrowded town in Hawai'i existed pre-1967. And the relatively uncrowded places don't take too kindly to outsiders and won't have too many jobs available, either. You want uncrowded? Go to Fiji or Tahiti.

Miulang
                        Last edited by Miulang; July 20, 2006, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                          <sigh> NOWHERE in Hawai'i is NOT going to be crowded! You just have to decide on a place and make the best you can out of your experience. An uncrowded town in Hawai'i existed pre-1967. And the relatively uncrowded places don't take too kindly to outsiders and won't have too many jobs available, either. You want uncrowded? Go to Fiji or Tahiti.

Miulang

No! Not Tahiti... That's my plan. Hit Fiji!
                          "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
                          "But I can't even read good."
                          "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
                          "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                          X